New Sergio Mendes album - March 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
MasterLcZ said:
Ok, now I'm REALLY confused. The clip of "Lugar Comum" posted on the Concord link features Jovanotti rapping in Italian (with Gracinha ...I assume...doing back-up). Is there ANOTHER version with "Dreams Come True" instead of Jovanotti on the Japanese release?

The Jovanotti clip is one of my favorites!

Good question. Hopefully it will all be made clear with time. I would imagine that there *might* be two versions of the song, and they'll perhaps appear in different territories or as bonus tracks somewhere.

I miss the days when a song was recorded and that was that. These days, a record could have a zillion different versions across the globe, and albums issued elsewhere often have more or less tracks. And then there's the single b-sides!

Harry

Any more, I tend to consider the album the final document. There was a time when I would seek out every version of a song, but almost without fail one of these circumstances would happen:

- The differences would be so minor as to be barely noticeable
- The differences would make the song(s) annoying to listen to -- such as hyper-extended intros or other sections (1970s "disco" versions)
- The differences would be so different as to make the song unlistenable. (More recent "remixes" are guilty of this a lot.)
- Single B-sides and "bonus tracks" almost always were on the cutting-room floor for a reason.

So I'm not a completist anymore, I guess.

Good points, all - I was dissapointed that Sergio's 'Picardia' was Spanish only on Side 1, and the extended Disco single version of "The Real Thing" (which brings at least $40 or $50 on Ebay...I once saw it for over $100) is no big deal, just repeated orchestral vamps. And I'm assuming that Ledisi's "Waters of March" is instumentally the same as Zap Mamas French 'bonus track' version...though it would be very cool of the Belgium Mamas cut another version in Flemish!

I suspect I'll have to get two copies of Sergios new CD to get the Jovanotti "Lugar Comum". Oh well.

Mike said:
One thing I think we all could agree on... Sergio must have had a blast making this album!

Early on, shortly after they returned from Brasil (where the majority of "Encanto" was recorded), Gracinha told Patty (my Mom): "It's done, it's in the bag. We're changing the website and it's some of the best work we've ever done."

Sounds good to me.

Jon

The Concord site is listing an April 15th release date for the album. I assume that's for the States. The Japanese sites are still quoting February 27th which at this point is only a little more than two and a half weeks away.

Harry

SakuraSYayoi said:

Sergio Mendes(key, vo)
Gracinha Leporace(vo)
Dawn Bishop(vo)
Katie Hampton(vo)
Carlos "Yutaka" Del Rosario(key)
Kleber Jorge(g)
Hussain Jiffry(b)
Mike Shapiro(ds)
Meia Noite(per)
Gibi(per)
H2O(rapper)

2008.02.06 WED.

1ST&2ND
1.E MENINA
2.THE FROG
3.WATERS OF MARCH
4.RODA
5.CARIOCA(VAMP)~MILAGRE
~SAMBA DA MINHA TERRA
6.LIKE A LOVER
7.SURFBOARD
8.CONSOLACAO~BERIMBAU~PERCUSSION SOLO
~FOOL ON THE HILL
9.GOING OUT OF MY HEAD
10.TIMELESS(1ST STAGE ONLY)
11.LET ME
12.MAS QUE NADA
13.TRISTEZA
14.VIRAMUNDO~MAGALENHA

The last Sergio's show at Blue Note Tokyo this time is going to be held tonight. It rains here in Tokyo, we sometimes see snow left at the edge of roads.

Japanese fans wrote their excitement about Live in Tokyo and birthday wishes at their blogs.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hana_bossa/40656626.html

I just blog-searched and found that someone sent an interviewer to Segio Mendes.
Japanese page. (photos at page 1 & 2, and bossa nova & Brazil music CD's recommended by Sergio are at page 3)
thumb_250_02_px250.jpg
thumb_250_01_px250.jpg

( http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/pickup/20080206/1006806/?SS=trdimgview&FD=1859901371 ) ( http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/pickup/20080206/1006806/?SS=trdimgview&FD=-638114566 )

http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/pickup/20080206/1006806/

Sakura

The Concord site is now listing the release date for ENCANTO as June 10th, pushing it farther into the future.

The Japanese sites are still saying February 27th, just a week away. Hopefully they're still correct and I'll soon be listening to this new album.

Harry

A week away?! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Though - if I'm not mistaken, TIMELESS was pushed back six months or so from its original release date. Not that it mattered. :wink:

No news of the Japan release being delayed.

Two more days.

No chance of getting it this weekend, I guess. Damn! :rant:

I received an early morning e-mail from CD Japan that my copy of Sergio's new CD had shipped!

I only just noticed this, in addition to the Joanes "Y Vamos Ya" , the Japanese CD has another, bonus version of the song - a duet in Portugese with Joanes (?) and Gracinha. Another "Y Vamos Ya" was indicated in the official track list posted earlier, but I assumed it was a typographical error.

(wouldn't it be a nice surprise if Lani snuck in there with Gracinha for another 'guest appearance'?)

I must admit, I'm a bit more partial to the Jovanotti 'Lumar Cummum" than the Dreams Come True version. Would it have killed Concord to have included the Jovanotti, Joanes/Gracinha and Zap Mama cuts in the American ENCANTO?

I guess I'll REALLY have to buy both the Japanese and American releases.

I went out at lunch time today and picked up “Encanto” at a local record shop. Just now got back to the office and I’m on the second track as I post this. Sounds good!

Mr. Bill: I picked it up at the record shop on the 3rd floor of Shopper’s Plaza – just outside the side gate.

All the best,
Yokosuka Mike

I ordered one from CD Japan and have yet to receive an email that it's shipped...well I'll just keep waiting. So far the album has not shown up for ordering in our usual website....not unusual for smaller record companies. They often don't show up until just before the release date.

At this time, I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation either. The website still lists my order as "in process". So much for paying extra for the EMS shipping.

Harry

Unless I missed it, I never got an option on the shipping--it just did the EMS automatically. I have to say ordering it was a bear because I kept getting that stupid "Invalid Certificate" warning repeatedly (like 2-3 times per page) and I was about to give up.

We can download this album or song separately at HMV Japan.
I tried to download-shopping by another artist at American sites before, they made bills but they didn't allow me to download. Can you download at Japanese site?

Amazon JP say;

Audio CD (February 27, 2008)
Original Release Date: :laugh: April 29, 2008

Sakura

A quick mini-review:

The Japanese version of “Encanto” comes in a tri-fold digi-pack. It includes a 10 page glossy color booklet that is filled with current pictures of Sergio and information on the songs (everything in English). There is also a glossy black & white booklet with information in Japanese and all the lyrics to the songs in English and Japanese. All-in-all, the packaging IMO, is very well done.

To my untrained ear – the sound of this CD is great. The songs are a treat to my ear. I like Encanto better than Timeless. As I played it in the office yesterday, everyone that walked in and heard it made positive comments. Most were quite surprised to learn that it was Sergio Mendes.

All the best,
Yokosuka Mike

MasterLcZ said:
Mike - do Lani and Herb contribute to any other tracks besides "Dreamer"?

Other than "Dreamer" there is no mention of Lani Hall & Herb Alpert.

From the notes:

Dreamer / featuring Lani Hall & Herb Alpert (4:43)

Rhodes 73 & Acoustic Piano: Sergio mendes
Vocals: Lani Hall & Sergio Mendes
Trumpet: Herb Alpert
Base: Alphonso Johnson
Acoustic Guitar: Kleber Jorge
Drums: Mike Shapiro

Recorded by Paul Ericksen at Wild West studio, Malibu, CA (Summer 2007)

Regards,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom