📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
i cant make my mind up about this set, i have all the original albums 2 or 3 times over, with the original sleeve printed sheets ( had to hunt around for now and then and a song for you though! ), plus japanese imports etc.
However it does look a nice set and i do play vinyl. Mind you i got the abba one from a few years ago ( and had my name printed in the booklet for pre order people ) but ive never played it as i want to keep it pristine - so whats the point if you never play it!! hehe
the Spin doctors price seems very good - too good to be true though?

i cant make my mind up about this set, i have all the original albums 2 or 3 times over, with the original sleeve printed sheets ( had to hunt around for now and then and a song for you though! ), plus japanese imports etc.
However it does look a nice set and i do play vinyl. Mind you i got the abba one from a few years ago ( and had my name printed in the booklet for pre order people ) but ive never played it as i want to keep it pristine - so whats the point if you never play it!! hehe
the Spin doctors price seems very good - too good to be true though?

I have a Japan 180gm Now & Then I’ve never played. I probably won’t play the box set records either (not initially, anyway). For this fan, it’s largely about the recreated artwork in all its glorious pristine newness!

I have a Japan 180gm Now & Then I’ve never played. I probably won’t play the box set records either (not initially, anyway). For this fan, it’s largely about the recreated artwork in all its glorious pristine newness!

I relate entirely. I will have my set for playing however.

I have a Japan 180gm Now & Then I’ve never played. I
Their description of LOVELINES also sounds confusing. "Two remixes of previously released material..." Isn't the album version of Honolulu City Lights the same as the single version? What other song was previously released prior to the album?

probably won’t play the box set records either (not initially, anyway). For this fan, it’s largely about the recreated artwork in all its glorious pristine newness!
Almost certain they were pulled from the entire batch of transfers for the Remastered Classics / 30th+35th Japanese box sets. I'm working on trying to nail down some more details.

And to clarify, the tapes destroyed at Universal were original multitrack masters and not 2-channel mix tapes, so there would be nothing affecting this release that would be in any way related to whatever was lost in the fire. And for that matter, we're pretty sure most of the original multitrack stuff was transferred beforehand anyway so nothing was truly "lost".
Hello Chris...could be another rip-off...no original masters...who is cutting the laquers...plating and pressing the vinyl...oh sorry...180gram vinyl...big deal!

I have mixed feelings about a vinyl set. I would imagine that all of the tracks will be original mixes, and that's exactly what I already have on my original vinyl. So just what would I be gaining from such a set? Cleaner vinyl? Maybe - that depends on the pressing plant chosen and how good *they* are. Will the vinyl be anything special? Audiophile quality, colored vinyl, picture-discs, etc.?

If some CD-only albums make it to vinyl, THOSE might be intriguing to me. I'd like to have KAREN CARPENTER and AS TIME GOES BY on vinyl. PACC? Maybe... I already have TIME on vinyl.

While this is good news, I wonder what kind of price-tag they'll put on something like this. If it's just the main 10 studio albums: OFFERING through VOICE OF THE HEART, at today's prices for vinyl that could retail for about $250 to $260.
Add in LOVELINES and AS TIME GOES BY, plus the two Christmas albums, and you can up that by at least $100 more. Add in their most popular compilation, SINGLES 1969-1973 and maybe the two live albums (one a double) and we're up another $100 or so. The three solo albums would tack on another $80 or so.

It'll remain to be seen just how comprehensive the set will be and how many albums it will include. Anyway, future buyers need to start saving their pennies for a rainy day...

I have mixed feelings about a vinyl set. I would imagine that all of the tracks will be original mixes, and that's exactly what I already have on my original vinyl. So just what would I be gaining from such a set? Cleaner vinyl? Maybe - that depends on the pressing plant chosen and how good *they* are. Will the vinyl be anything special? Audiophile quality, colored vinyl, picture-discs, etc.?

If some CD-only albums make it to vinyl, THOSE might be intriguing to me. I'd like to have KAREN CARPENTER and AS TIME GOES BY on vinyl. PACC? Maybe... I already have TIME on vinyl.
Greetings Harry: I understand that the original master tapes were destroyed. Albums will be cut from digital files. Bummer! However individual album titles will be available. Buy one title and compare it to the original title you now have. Let me know which one sounds better.

Greetings Harry: I understand that the original master tapes were destroyed.

The multi-track masters were the ones destroyed. Richard had been using them to mix the SACD in multi-channel surround sound and they were never returned to Iron Mountain and burned in the big fire.

There are existing copies of the 2-channel mix tapes used to make the original albums. We are awaiting word as to just what sources were used.

Pre-ordered! :razz::razz:

Very excited to receive this. Friday, November 17, ordered it delivered on release day. I haven't owned Carpenters vinyl since my mother sold them at a garage sale when I was in college. I've done some limited spelunking in local stores for decent old stuff but didn't find much.

The multi-track masters were the ones destroyed. Richard had been using them to mix the SACD in multi-channel surround sound and they were never returned to Iron Mountain and burned in the big fire.

I was just reading an article on AM Corner that someone had posted about Iron Mountain in the past week, and I remember in the article that the person in charge of audio storage said that before any tape left Iron Mountain, he made sure that there was a digital copy made so that, should anything happen to the tapes, there would still be a copy.

Frankly, it would be a huge disappointment--and a definite no sale--for me if this release were digitally-sourced, no matter how high the resolution of the source digital masters or the quality of the vinyl material used. I already have all the Carpenters songs on multiple forms of digital media and from multiple pressings through the years that I really have no desire to acquire another bunch of "big CDs" on vinyl.

On another matter, I notice from the picture of this release that only the revised artwork of the Close To You album would be used. What a major letdown. A few years ago when Japan first issued all the Carpenters studio albums in a mini-LP format, Close To You was issued with both the original and revised artwork. I'd regard the omission of the original artwork for Close To You in this release as unconscionable on the part of A&M/Universal.

I was just reading an article on AM Corner that someone had posted about Iron Mountain in the past week, and I remember in the article that the person in charge of audio storage said that before any tape left Iron Mountain, he made sure that there was a digital copy made so that, should anything happen to the tapes, there would still be a copy.
While that is true, it has nothing to do with what source will be used for THESE LPs.

It only means that there are digital copies of the multi-track masters in existence. Those would likely not be used here as I don't think Richard is doing any remixes for this project.

The question is if they are using analog LP masters or digital versions from 1998.

I personally don’t think that they will have used analogue tape sources for these if so I would have expected it be Mobile Fidelity or Analogue Productions or similar high standing company to do the transfers?. For me it really isn’t an issue if they are digital as there is for sure a different sound when digital transfers are transferred to analogue vinyl for playback. I have a Linn LP12 Turntable which is one of the better ones you can get and I’m not fussed where they get the sources as long as they sound good.
The main thing for me is having nice new covers and nice brand new vinyl that has been played by me alone in the future.
All of my vinyl has been sourced from second hand sales and car boots and the like and although it is in great condition in the most part visually the sound on some of the discs is a little tired. I’m just grateful for anything whether digital or otherwise.
All of my covers have some discrepancies here and there , the self titled envelope sleeve is well aged I’m particularly looking forward to having one which isn’t aged looking.
Obviously in a perfect World it will be Analogue, but the tapes no doubt will be damaged In Some way (if available at all) so if it’s digital then I am happy to have it.

Last edited:
Just to see fresh, new, packaging and 12' x 12" size photos and artwork and inserts again- incredible. The artistry of it all.

Yes, for those like me who have no good vinyl anymore, PLUS the packaging those original albums had, faithfully reproduced (we assume), then this is a win whether sourced from analog or digital. In a perfect world I would rather they be sourced from analog, but that's not a deal-breaker for me. I do completely understand why some here - who already own good vinyl and original packaging, and everything already in digital anyway - would be more sensitive to format sourcing.

It would have been a master stroke to include SOMETHING new that no one has, to make it a must-buy for all fans, but that wasn't done I guess.

Amazon UK now have a price £257.51.
How can The Spin site sell it so much cheaper? I'm sort of worried about whether there may be something wrong with the set. Could there be such a thing as slightly damaged? Although the description is identical to the more expensive sellers!

Hi all,
Could you let me know please which of the vinyl releases had printed inner sleeves?
Some of mine do but some don't, I am getting very tempted with this set, despite my reservations.

Amazon UK now have a price £257.51.
How can The Spin site sell it so much cheaper? I'm sort of worried about whether there may be something wrong with the set. Could there be such a thing as slightly damaged? Although the description is identical to the more expensive sellers!
I'm a bit suspicious about it being so much cheaper. I'm very tempted, but I may wait a little while. Cautious is my middle name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom