Noisy Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downunder

Hi, just joined the forum. :) A special day for 2 reasons- Karen's birthday & also mine :!:, a fact I did'nt discover till after her passing. My Carpenters devotion was sort of gradual, but absolutely inevitable as I'm sure all reading this understand. When I discovered this site (about a month ago) I was amazed at the discussion topics. I've followed with interest, talk about Richards Baldwin piano auction. It made me think back to my (treasured) Carpenters L.P. collection, C.D's just don't pick up some sounds or digital re-mastering takes them out. On vinyl I can definately hear the key strokes of Richard's playing. Can anyone else :?: Nevertheless it's only C.D's I play these days for their convevience. Enough rambling. Bye. Downunder.

Welcome to the Forum, downunder.

downunder said:
On vinyl I can definately hear the key strokes of Richard's playing. Can anyone else?

Clearly on the opening to "I Need To Be In Love", one can hear the thumping of the foot pedals on Richard's piano. I've often wondered if it was for that reason that the piano intro was chopped off of some versions.

Harry
...who thinks these "noises" make for real-sounding recordings, online...

Good ears Harry!! Actually that's fairly common when recording from an acoustic piano. I think there may be some of that on "Sometimes" as well but that's from memory so I'm not certain. On "I Need To Be In Love" I think you can hear the pedal twice as he lowers it and then raises it and lowers it again. I'm not sure why Richard cut the intro on the original version of YOM but to me the song isn't the same without it.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom