Non-A&M Reissues...Your Favorites, Your Wish List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another recently announced release that was on a few people's lists above (and accidentally left off of mine) --

Bulletin Board by The Partridge Family is being released by Collector's Choice including a few Shirley Jones solo sides as bonus tracks.

I've also been able to cross a few others off mine in the past year or so since I wrote it:
Six of the orginal 1950s/60s Chipmunks albums were released in a VERY limited run back in April.
Donny & Marie's Songs from their Television Show was included in the reissue campaign AM Matt mentioned above under it's UK title Deep Purple.
And, I finally found a copy of the Japanese import of Julie London's Latin in a Satin Mood that didn't require a second mortgage to afford. :)

Anyone else had any of their "wish list" items reissued since we started this thread way back in '06?

Well, now that's pretty good news! I remember seeing a Double-Sided-White-Label Promo copy of Shirley Jones's "The Whale Song" on Bell, so I had no idea that other than whatever the original B-Side is on that single that there were any more...

Gonna definitely look for Bulletin Board when it's released...!

Dave

Me said:
Gonna definitely look for Bulletin Board when it's released...!

Which will be on Tuesday October 28, 2008, according to Amazon. com... :o
reminder.gif

Dave

Also Collectors' Choice on October 28 will release Blue Ash "No More, No Less" from 1973 originally on Mercury.

Actorman said:
Bulletin Board by The Partridge Family is being released by Collector's Choice including a few Shirley Jones solo sides as bonus tracks.

Looked for whatever Singles which Shirley Jones recorded and found "I've Still Got My Heart, Joe" B/W "Everybody's Reaching Out For Someone" as well as "Ain't Love Easy?", in addition to "Whale Song"...

Not to be confused with the R&B singer of the same name...

Dave

The 2 bonus tracks for "Bulletin Board" are "Ain't Love Easy" & "Roses In The Snow" done by Shirley Jones. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Forgot to mention singer Robbie Dupree ("Steal Away", "Hot Rod Hearts") second album "Street Corner Heroes" (Elektra) from 1981 will be released on Wounded Bird Records either this week or October 21. Marc Tanner Band second & final album "Temptation" (Elektra) (featuring the remake of Argent's 1972 song "Hold Your Head Up") from 1980 will be released on Wounded Bird Records on November 11. Also on November 11, Glam T's will reissued The Osmonds "Brainstorm"/"Steppin Out" (1976 & 1979) (2 albums on 1 CD). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The Frankenstein thread continues to linger into existence... I think I vaguely hear this thread begging -- no, make that pleading -- to die a quick quiet death to never be heard from again. Kill me. Kill me now...

--Mr. B

Mr Bill said:
The Frankenstein thread continues to linger into existence... I think I vaguely hear this thread begging -- no, make that pleading -- to die a quick quiet death to never be heard from again. Kill me. Kill me now...

--Mr. B

--
reply-locked.gif

Dave said:
Mr Bill said:

--Mr. B

--
reply-locked.gif

--NOT!!!!!! :wink:

To continue our discussion on artists not on A&M but still worthy of CD reissues, have I mentioned that I'm also a Charlie Rich fan...? Is any of his stuff on CD other than "new albums", old ones that are "most popular" and compilations...?

The Silver Fox, A Very Special Love Song and especially my favorite, Every Time You Touch Me (I Get High), even with the MOR arrangements and production producer Billy Sherrill was prone to drench his singers in, really also deserve a shot...!

Dave

--...ator Team] :jester:

So should Hargus "Pig" Robbins on Elektra... Though I've bought fine copies of his first two LP's, Pig In A Poke and Country Instrumentalist Of The Year for just a buck, and I know of at least one place where I hope I can still find that sealed-copy of Unbreakable Hearts, also on vinyl...

Dave

Me said:
(Which makes me wish I hadn't resigned one title of a certain album to CD, just because it was "finally available", if it instantly starts with an ideal song, but have to play a track or two before the one I want to start with, if I want to lay down or sit with a nice cold root beer...)

Alas, I was referring to Bobby Goldsboro's HONEY/WE GOTTA START LOVIN' reissue... I really liked it better as WATCHING SCOTTY GROW... (Different cover/back cover photos, which seem to relate better with the contents inside...)

And unlike the two other two-fer's of Goldsboro available on the BGO import label, there are severe drop-outs in some of the songs, though nothing I really consider annoying... And seeing as how HONEY is one of the albums reissued by BGO, there is always that copy to listen to for the more thorough and "polished" sonics...

The audio quality aside, what my point really is, is typically how one of the many things good about playing records, especially with an automatic cueing turntable, is the chance to get comfortable, as what I've quoted, above...

Somehow the need to play a few songs before the "official" kick-off song of WATCHING SCOTTY.../WE GOTTA START... doesn't seem to be working out, compared to the silence before Side 1 Track 1, "My God And I" begins, vs. it coming on immediately if I program my CD to play it first...

Hence, while Goldsboro is an artist I would like to see continue being CD-reissued, I'm content to admit how happy and appreciative I am with his vinyl...

Good that the other three, or four albums, counting the first reissue of HONEY are on CD as I tend to program the tracks in a preferred order and even intermigling the songs from one album to the other...

The said title, reissued just isn't quite the title I was hoping to see, compared to the others I don't have any "cue-while I get comfortable" ritual for...

Glad a Still-Sealed copy of WATCHING... was available, though mail-ordered Online, and yesterday it just arrived... Although I had to tape the bottom of the cover, which the record was protruding out of through the sleeve which I promptly replaced, as I do anyway, (I prefer the after-market sleeves to torn, brittle factory ones) that portion of the vinyl was unhurt and it played fine...

Dave

Got a-hold of that Partridge Family BULLETIN BOARD reissue and it's nice to get the new liner notes inside as well as hearing the two bonus tracks of Shirley Jones, as opposed to David Cassidy who dominates the original album (and the ones before it) along with the hired background singers (including John Bahler who WAS the actual producer, though only credited as arranger--Wes Farrell was THAT protective of his Producer prowess)...

The two Shirley bonus cuts were also produced & engineered by Bones Howe, and is a side-step from the album produced by Wes Farrell, which somehow as a "whole" doesn't completely jibe... Except that they sound much like woodwind player Bud Shank's LET IT BE, a merger of Bones Howe's production and sound along with the John Bahler et al. background singers...

Only played it once in the car, and somehow as I'm blarin' "Roller Coaster" or "Oh, No, Not My Baby" the heads don't seem to turn...

"How Long Is Too Long" brings back memories of it being played on the radio (AM radio, that is) and it seems as though it was on the radio in my dad's 1969 Rambler American where I mostly heard it...

And incidentally, the album's "mature" nature was clearly reflected in it being too middle-of-the-road for Cassidy's teeny-bopper audience while the "tweens" were really not quite ready for it, compared to the more Bubblegum-esque earlier material, which was better-received, and that many radio stations even specializing in R&B- and EZ List'nin'-oriented material found it hard to put on their playlists, according to the liner notes...

Though the exception was "How Long...", played by "one of the many typical AM radio stations", as I've cited...

Wish I had my 12X12 record cover to put the CD in, as the print (like with a lot of COLLECTORS CHOICE reissues) is small and the back cover photo of the LP on the back of the CD booklet is in black & white, where as the back cover photo on the back of the CD jewelbox is merely a replica of the front cover with "back cover credits" replacing the original front-cover "bulletins"...!

Dave

Did you also notice that the back cover art they used (in the booklet) has a "Bell Records - Promotional Use Only" sticker on it? That totally made me laugh. I mean, would it have been that hard to Photoshop that out?

Actorman said:
Did you also notice that the back cover art they used (in the booklet) has a "Bell Records - Promotional Use Only" sticker on it? That totally made me laugh.

Ah, yes...! :laugh:

Actorman said:
I mean, would it have been that hard to Photoshop that out?

Perhaps it may have been well intended--who knows? :jester:

Dave

More Osmonds reissues are coming in March or April. Marie Osmond "Paper Roses"/"In My Little Corner Of The World" as well as "Who's Sorry Now"/"This Is The Way That I Feel" & Jimmy Osmond "Mother Of Mine"/"Little Arrows". Also coming from Glam/7T's is Terry Jacks "Seasons In The Sun" but there is no U.S. release date though. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I would love to see "Drifter" by Sylvia finally issued on cd....sold a lot of copies back in the day, had some hits...no idea why it never happened....

Dave said:
Got a-hold of that Partridge Family BULLETIN BOARD reissue and it's nice to get the new liner notes inside as well as hearing the two bonus tracks of Shirley Jones, as opposed to David Cassidy who dominates the original album (and the ones before it) along with the hired background singers

Dave

Let's face it. David Cassidy was the sound of the Partridge Family, or at least the driving force behind it. David's solo hit version of "Cherish" (which I prefer any day over the sickening Association version) sold every bit as well as the Partridge Family albums. Same style, same voice. Take out the wimpy background singers and you've got a really great sound.

Tony

toeknee4bz said:
David Cassidy was the sound of the Partridge Family, or at least the driving force behind it. David's solo hit version of "Cherish" (which I prefer any day over the sickening Association version) sold every bit as well as the Partridge Family albums. Same style, same voice.

Yes, I do agree and as special point of interests, Partridge Family Bulletin Board was issued between two other Partridge-related items: David Cassidy's third solo album, Dreams Are Nothin' More Than Wishes, (on which he finally DOES break from the Partridge Family-Background Singers mold) and Ricky Segall and The Segalls (his mom and dad) which was also produced by Wes Farrell, and unfortunately this "other pet project" by Farrell only lasted this one album which I still haven't heard...

Ricky played a "young, auxiliary band member" in the show and was a castmate at the tender age of four-years-old in the fourth and final season singing children's songs with the group...

And the show tried for an unsuccessful attempt of being revived a year later, while also evolving into an Animated Cartoon series of the Partridge Family living in the 21st Century, THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY IN OUTER SPACE (a/l/a The Jetsons) and to which all the group members lent their voices EXCEPT David Cassidy and Shirley Jones...

toeknee4bz said:
Take out the wimpy background singers...,--

Well, I really find the background singers, which I've collected nearly-hundreds of recordings of, featuring various aggregations and combinations of, though nearly all including John and/or Tom Bahler, or billed as 'The Ron Hicklin Singers' anything BUT wimpy...!

toeknee4bz said:
--And you've got a really great sound.

And if you were to actually praise The Association's version of "Cherish", you would probably be saying "Just The Right Sound!"... :laugh:

But, The Association was clearly how I was first introduced to "Cherish", their signature hit...! And, yes, my Pop artist record collecting has made many in-roads to discovering other versions of other artist's/s' or group's/s' best-known material, including this song...

Here are some versions of "Cherish" by other performers, that I have owned or at least heard of:

The Four Tops, who made it sound a bit too Mills Brothers-ish, and you can picture them singing it dressed up as a Barbershop Quartet...

Ed Ames, who sticks too close to the native version and doesn't seem to really step outside of his native Ames Brothers style of Pop, which he depart from on later albums, adapting a much more contemporary sound, though still being too much like Dean Martin in his posturing and delivery...

Andy Williams, whose interpretation was an actual fore-runner to the David Cassidy version, and features those same background singers used by Cassidy and Partridge Family, alike...

Williams' version was unfortunately stuck on a B-Sides & Rarities package, which unfortunately at the pinnacle of collecting Andy Williams, led to my downfall in sustaining my interest in his works... Many of the songs (like "Cherish") sat around unreleased or were released, but overseas, and there were alternate versions of some songs and four that were only available on a double-LP compilation of Andy's, THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM...

I really was let down by the B-Sides & Rarities set, finding "Cherish" all that was listenable and wishing I had it burned onto another album of his, which I also had on CD...

The other tracks, although I had some fondness for some of the later ones when I was in the mood to hear them, but mainly, much of the older ones were suboptimal, to say the least...

David Cassidy, who really did this song justice... My fiancé and I were going to see him in concert and knowing he would do this number there, I played Andy's version before I left my house, and sure enough, we heard The Association's version in the car on the way to Cassidy's concert...

Well, then, too, my lady and I, when we got there, and far enough into his song-set, we DID witness David Cassidy performing this gem... And with a number of females in the audience coming up to the stage giving him flowers and exchanging kisses with him kneeling down on the stage throughout the song...! "How Sweet!" :love:

I have, of course, had various formats of THE ASSOCIATIONS' GREATEST HITS and there, too, have equally enjoyed the original and the many remakes by others ("Cherish" and even other Association songs) the original group efforts had spawned...

Still, the original Association's version of "Cherish" is an impressive and very personal song and although it details a certain love interest's lack of desire for the narrator, it is a very romantic ballad, (almost a make-out ballad) that despite being in the perils of our hero (or heros) not being worthy of "her" affection, can be "just the right SONG" to make love to...! :love:

Dave

It would be wonderful if we could have nice shiny CD reissues of:-

MIGRATION - The Mike Leander Orchestra
I WILL - The Zack Laurence Orchestra
and
THE LIONEL BART SONGBOOK - The Johnny Harris Orchestra

My mistake! The song "Mother Of Mine" (NOT the album title) is from Jimmy Osmond "Killer Joe" from 1972 which is reissued as on the CD "Killer Joe"/"Little Arrows". By the way, jazz guitarist Lee Ritenour (known as "Captain Fingers") plays on a few tracks on Donny Osmond 1977 album "Donald Clark Osmond" which is NOT available on CD yet. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

AM Matt said:
...The song "Mother Of Mine" (NOT the album title) is from Jimmy Osmond Killer Joe from 1972 which is reissued as on the CD Killer Joe/Little Arrows...

Matt Clark

Sanford, MI

Hey, is this the same "Killer Joe" that Quincy Jones did???

AM Matt said:
...Jazz guitarist Lee Ritenour (known as "Captain Fingers") plays on a few tracks on Donny Osmond 1977 album Donald Clark Osmond...

Matt Clark

Sanford, MI

Hmmmmmm...Lee Ritenour on a Donny Osmond album, eh? Well, with the way I have him playing behind Leo Sayer on a couple or more of his albums, I may have to track this one down, too...

Dave

Dave: I am not sure but it might be The Rocky Fellers who did the original "Killer Joe". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom