1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Nonexistent Carpenters songs that you can just hear

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by BGW, Sep 6, 2013.

1. This one's for you (barry manilow). and i dont have to imagine it. kc in an interview (which for the life of me i cannot remember was)

kc sings a line and DAMN was it good and sexy. yes kc had a sexy voice.....

A&M Retro, Mark-T, BGW and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I want to add to this list "Our Love is Here to Stay" by Nat King Cole, etc and "The Woman in Me" by Heart, Donna Summer.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  3. aaflyer98

aaflyer98 Well-Known Member

"In Another Place And Time" would have been a great mid tempo song for Karen. Recorded by Donna Summer 1989.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  4. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

Okay, one more from me: "Send in the Clowns" (as performed by Joni Mitchell).

5. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

That was from the Ray Moore BBC interview, which took place in the fall of 1981.

6. It is... as Richard did it in his Pianist... album...

7. ...and it's a gorgeous 3-minute conclusion to the medley in which it's included. I was always a bit disappointed that "Someday" wasn't included in CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER.

Harry

BGW likes this.
  8. Because of that mastering error at the end or something... don't know how to technically name it...

9. BGW

BGW Member Thread Starter

I wanted to drag this thread up to add the song "Misty". My favorite take is Ella Fitzgerald's. The song is perfect for Karen, it's beautiful and it lingers in the richest area of Karen's voice. I have no trouble at all hearing her singing it.

A&M Retro likes this.
  10. Aero bob

Aero bob New Member

How about Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better"?

A&M Retro, BGW and Jamesj75 like this.
  11. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Just imagining Karen performing the above- mentioned Misty by Ella, that would have been priceless.
    A superb recommendation !

BGW likes this.
  12. GaryAlan

Can you hear Karen singing this one? Mentioned in these liner notes.

Attached Files:

13. GaryAlan

The shirelles Foolish Little Girl, which Karen and Richard wanted to record:

BGW likes this.
  14. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Here's something "Carpenter-ized" before its time:

-- Dave

15. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

The Moonbeam Song by Harry Nilsson.

Imagine all those Background Carpenters Harmonies

BGW likes this.
  16. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

And Karen saying the word "Crap"...!!!! :laugh:

-- Dave

17. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member

Imagine that!!!

18. BeeBee1

BeeBee1 New Member

"Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)".

You can just hear Karen sing it like poetry - much like Nancy Sinatra did.

19. aaflyer98

aaflyer98 Well-Known Member

BGW and Jamesj75 like this.
  20. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    I ran across this song the other day on the tube and it reminded me....if the Carpenters had changed course and put out a jazz album...I could really hear Karen singing this song in her lower vocals. I could hear Tony on guitar, Richard on piano and Karen on vocals and drums, maybe even re-team with Joe Osborne. The arrangement of this song sounds a lot to me like something Richard would have done. I could also hear Karen doing those ahh, ahh breaks in the track at 1:03.

BGW, Jamesj75 and GaryAlan like this.
  21. JeffM

JeffM Active Member

Another, much earlier, Cher track with (to me anyway) a very Carpenteresque feel to it is "Love Enough," off her 1975 LP "Stars." The song, written by Tim Moore, is terrific; and the arrangement by Jimmy Webb is gorgeous. Though they obviously sounded very different, both Karen and Cher were/are way on the deep end of the alto range, and knew how to use that to great effect. Here's the song; the exotic album cover headshot is just "icing on the cake"...

BGW likes this.
  22. song4u

song4u Well-Known Member

I heard Billy Joel's "Honesty" on the radio today - one of my favorites of his - and couldn't help thinking of how wonderful Karen's interpretation could have been of that song. All of the nuances she would have given it. ::sigh::

23. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

I love 'Honesty', and have never thought of how Karen would have done it. But you're spot on! She would have nailed it.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool likes this.
  24. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Isn't it time that there was another version of "To Wait For Love" on A&M beside Herb's (as great as his version is!)????

By Karen? I thought so...!

-- Dave

A&M Retro likes this.
  25. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I've always thought Karen would sing 'The Very Thought Of You' beautifully. I know it's been performed by Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald, but there's something about the version that was featured in the movie 'Bicentennial Man' that always makes me think of Karen. Had they performed it, I think they would have gone for an arrangement like this and used the Nelson Riddle Orchestra. It reminds me of the Karen/Ella medley and would have been a great choice to include in that.

Mark-T likes this.