NOW & THEN 8-track/Da Doo Ron Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgra

OK, I finally came up with an 8-track tape of the NOW & THEN album to check "Da Doo Ron Ron."

(For those who might not have been here, there was a discussion a few months ago about how the 8-track version of NOW & THEN might have had a different mix of "Da Doo Ron Ron" containing extra material not on the LP.)

Well, indeed, the version of "Da Doo Ron Ron" on the 8-track is about 10 seconds longer than the LP version. It also does not have Tony Peluso's radio DJ voice-over at the end ("What a sound, but right now...").

Getting my timings from the "Remastered Classics" version of the NOW & THEN album, "Da Doo Ron Ron" is completely faded out on the CD at 1:37. This is not actually the total length of the song, but the CD track begins at Karen's vocal ("I met him on a Monday") and not at the beginning of the music. That's beside the point, though.

The 8-track version, started from the same point as the CD, doesn't completely fade out until 1:47. What you hear during those last 10 seconds is more of the guitar solo.

This happens because "Da Doo Ron Ron" is the last song on program 3 of the 8-track. In order to keep from having a break in Tony Peluso's dialogue during the program change, A&M Records actually created a break there by fading out "Da Doo Ron Ron" to silence. In order to fill the length of the program (so that there wouldn't be TOO much silence after the song), "Da Doo Ron Ron" was allowed to run out longer than the LP version...

Program 4 begins with the very end of "Da Doo Ron Ron," fading in just as Tony Peluso says "What a sound," exactly like the mix on the LP.

There is also a unique mix/edit of "Yesterday Once More" on the 8-track. Program 1 of the tape uses a "short version" of the song to fill out the remainder of the time after "Sing" and "This Masquerade."

"Yesterday Once More (short version)" clocks in at approximately 2:07. It contains the intro to the song, the first verse, and then jumps to the chorus from AFTER the second verse, skipping the first chorus and second verse entirely.

Just some interesting tidbits that I didn't know before. Now I'm curious to get ahold of more 8-tracks to see if there are any more differences. I know my old cassette of THE SINGLES: 1969-1973 had "Top of the World" on both sides, to even up the lengths of the sides, but I was always an LP man, so I don't have many old tapes...

David

Incidentally, the very first cassette tape that I owned of this release as a kid had the same alternate version of "Yesterday Once More". However, the medley was just like the LP, no differences. :)

Listening to American Top 40 as a child in the summer of '73, this shortened version of YOM was played. Now, I know where it came from. That is such a nice song that it needs all verses.

I had a friend once (around age 30) who could not digest the Carpenters music, labeling them as cover artisits. He listened to alternative rock and hard rock. However, he did enjoy listening to Yesterday Once More siting it as a complete original with a nice nostalgic feeling through words, vocals, and musical arrangement.

Sometimes, this song is overlooked, possibly due to the commercial aspect as a title song to greatest hits. To me, this is one of the many reasons it is their biggest international selling single.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom