Odd sound on "Close to You"

Tony

Forgive me if this has been discussed before; I don't recall seeing anything mentioning it. Recently I pulled out The Singles: 1969-1973, which I haven't played in quite some time, for a short drive. As I listened to "Close to You" I heard a sound at the :52 mark, a light swoosh of a sound, as Karen was singing the word you. I checked some of the later versions and the sound isn't there. Has anyone else noticed this? I assume it was something unintentional that was edited out on later mixes.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before; I don't recall seeing anything mentioning it. Recently I pulled out The Singles: 1969-1973, which I haven't played in quite some time, for a short drive. As I listened to "Close to You" I heard a sound at the :52 mark, a light swoosh of a sound, as Karen was singing the word you. I checked some of the later versions and the sound isn't there. Has anyone else noticed this? I assume it was something unintentional that was edited out on later mixes.

HA! I thought I was the only one that was ever bothered by this! It was clearly edited out on the remix but couldn't tell you what it is specifically, other than some kind of glitch or sound on an open track that was never muted properly during the initial mix-down. Richard caught it obviously and was able to work around it for the remix in '91.

HA! I thought I was the only one that was ever bothered by this! It was clearly edited out on the remix but couldn't tell you what it is specifically, other than some kind of glitch or sound on an open track that was never muted properly during the initial mix-down. Richard caught it obviously and was able to work around it for the remix in '91.
I remember hearing a 'creaking' sound on 'Close to You' like someone shifting their weight on a drum stool or something. I think it's towards the end of the album version, in the quiet section somewhere before they come in for their second burst of "Wa! Close to You"s. It's quite noticeable.

I remember hearing a 'creaking' sound on 'Close to You' like someone shifting their weight on a drum stool or something. I think it's towards the end of the album version, in the quiet section somewhere before they come in for their second burst of "Wa! Close to You"s. It's quite noticeable.

Oh yes, that is there on the tag which is heard on the album version. You can also hear the "click" bleed thru Hal's headset before Richard plays the final E-flat on the walk-up before Hal plays the final drum fill. :)

I hear some sounds, but I'm never bothered by them. Some noises I've heard so much, I'm quite comfortable with them there. I'm thinking of the tape sound on "All I Can Do" and some feedback noise on "Rainy Days". It would be weird without them. We're only human, noises happen !

I hear some sounds, but I'm never bothered by them. Some noises I've heard so much, I'm quite comfortable with them there. I'm thinking of the tape sound on "All I Can Do" and some feedback noise on "Rainy Days". It would be weird without them. We're only human, noises happen !

The one that always really stuck out to me was the feedback on Karen's lead on You're The One. Coming out of the bridge at the head of the final verse, she sings "If our friends ALL A-ROUND" - right there. Sounds to me like she tracked the lead with an open headset and turned her head at just the right angle, creating the feedback thru the effects loop (reverb).

The one that always really stuck out to me was the feedback on Karen's lead on You're The One. Coming out of the bridge at the head of the final verse, she sings "If our friends ALL A-ROUND" - right there. Sounds to me like she tracked the lead with an open headset and turned her head at just the right angle, creating the feedback thru the effects loop (reverb).
I always thought I had good ears -- I have my ringtones set to Carpenters' "Top of the World" because I can almost literally hear that song a mile away :D -- but I have never perceived that sound. Thinking of it now, I must not have taken it as an error (same thing happened with the Mamas and Papas "I Saw Her Again"- I believed the false start towards the end was intentional, not a mastering mistake). It took me quite a bit to pick up the book page sound on "Tryin' to Get the Feelin' Again" too. Oh well! :laugh:
Thanks Chris for your insights.

It's funny because I never noticed it in the days before the remix. And when it was edited out I never noticed that it was missing. It was only upon hearing it after not hearing it that I became aware of it. It just jumped out at me!

Back
Top Bottom