Official Carpenters Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

A friend of mine who is "in the know" just told me that Richard Carpenter is finally getting around to starting an official Carpenters Web site. The address will be: www.richardandkarencarpenter.com

No word when it will be up and running. If you go there now it says "under construction," but there's also a note verifying that this will indeed be the official Carpenters site authorized and directed by RC. This is certainly good news for fans. If I hear anything else, I will let you know.

Tony

WOW this is excellent news, thanks Tony. Man I can't wait for this to happen.

So he must have the rights to this web name, right? I'm suprised someone hasn't already bought that named site.

Looks interesting. Hope they do a good job. There are a few errors in the titles of the albums rolling by under the logo, including a listing for "Lovliness".

Yes I hate to see errors like that and I agree Andrew, right now it looks not so great so I hope they improve the appearance.

As a side note, has anyone used the link provided there called-Craig Moerer - Recordsbymail.com??? Is this a legit dealer? I see some stuff I've like and not just Carpenters but other artists too.

I think this website is a bit cheap looking and almost certainly not the authorised site. I dont think Richard would sell out and have commercial links to trader websites on a site thats not even ready yet.

Sorry guys, I'm not holding my breath on this one!

Stephen

I'm a bit skeptical myself, even though a "who-is" search reveals that the owner is a Richard Carpenter from California. We'll see....

Harry
...believing it when he sees it, online...

Harry

Wondering if its maybe some Carpenters fanatic who's changed his name by deed poll!!!

Stephen

Harry said:
I'm a bit skeptical myself, even though a "who-is" search reveals that the owner is a Richard Carpenter from California. We'll see....

The name and address seem legit. It's against ICANN regulations for anyone to falsify their "whois" information. If the person happened to be a phony, it has a chance of being yanked.

Another reason I think this is a bogus site are the "Buy now" links. The address links are all "affiliate" addresses, meaning someone is getting monetary credit if sales are made from these links. I don't think Richard needs the money.

While I would love to think this is a real website, I doubt it. It's a shame because a real Carpenters site could be done so well. For example, Barry Manilow has just started a subscription web site that includes unreleased music. The subscription price pays for all royalties. And the songs are so unique, only a die hard fan would appreciate them. Just think what Richard could do with all of his tapes and recordings. The possibilities are endless.

The address on Century Park East is that of Richard's attorney and their practice. That seems to be legit -- and I remember seeing several years ago that Richard had purchased 8-10 Carpenters-related domains as a client of Irell & Manella (the law firm). That part seems legit...

I do web pages as a hobby -- nothing fancy or complex -- but that looks ROUGH! Let's hope they get something going that reflects the class and sophistication of the Carpenters!

Randy

I think that an Official CarpenterS web-site would go like gang-busters! Simply the activity and posts at this site convince me that it would fly! A world-wide site dedicated to a group who undeniably, officially are the biggest selling artists to emerge from America in the seventies. 100,000,000, or 150 million in sales, says to me that K&R are still major contributors to music. I've recently heard here that CarpenterS catalog was and continues to be the biggest selling act on the A&M label. That says a little something about a beautiful voice., arrangements and and unbridled talent!

I'm ready and pumped!!!

Jeff

Ugh. If that site was okayed by Richard Carpenter, it proves beyond a doubt that he should stick to music production.

It simply can't be legit.

One problem is the very nature of "official" sites. If it offers special stuff for members, perhaps subscribers, whatever, then it could be a really welcome site. If it attempts to just be something like a tribute site with a discography - well it's been done hundreds of times by fans.

I compare the Corrs official website with any number of fan websites and it pales in comparison. Most of the fans have news published on their sites long before the information ever filters to the "official" site.

Carpenters are a different animal though, basically an act based in the past, so info on current concerts, etc. would not come into play. A good site might have details of past concerts, possible downloads of rare material, perhaps videos or audios from their live concerts available on a stream, that kind of thing.

A thought on the state of the current site - maybe one of the kids did it!

Harry
...rambling, online...

I can't imagine someone using the Carpenters logo that freely to set up a website that isn't legit. Also, it does say "under construction", so it's roughness shouldn't bother us. I somehow can't imagine Richard letting typos slip in, however. Someone, I think on this forum, said awhile back that there was a domain called richardcarpenter.com, which is also under construction. It'll be interesting to see what happens here.

Randy, I must be missing something here. I don't remember seeing anything, or a link to anything that mentions an address on Century Park????

Marilyn,
who always has hopes!!

This is really exciting to think our dream could finally be coming true. The possibilites are endless for what Richard could do. Can you imagine buying the next Carpenters CD & finding a loose label inside the CD with a special password to get into his site for a "special something" :) It's possible. The roughness of the site doesn't bother me so much, it's the typos that do, but like Harry said maybe his children are helping out.

Didn't someone here say that they mentioned to Richard in person within the past few years about him starting an official website? Maybe I'm imagining I read this but I thought I did or maybe we were just talking about it amoungst ourselves.

I thought that this particular OFFICIAL F/C was to be designed and run by Richard himself.

sadly mistaken,

Jeff

Marilyn,

You can go to sites like Register.com and others to find out if a domain is available. If it is already taken you can usually go in and see who the domain is registered to and there is almost always a contact address listed. On Register.com you can click on "WHOIS" and find out the details.

According to Regsiter.com, www.richardandkarencarpenter.com was just created this past month and is listed to:

Richard Carpenter
1880 Century Park East
Suite 1600
Los Angeles, CA 90067

I thought this was the address for Werner Wolfen's law firm, Irell & Manella, in Century City, but it turns out to be for Gelfand Rennert & Feldman, the accounting firm Richard has used for well over 25 years. They also have the following domains (to name a few):

richardcarpenter.net
carpenterfoundation.com
carpenterfoundation.org
carpenterfoundation.net

I will be interested to see what comes of this new site! Let's hope they get a new designer -- with ALL that money floating around at Gelfand Rennert & Feldman... SURELY they have some designers there.

Randy

I was disappointed to read a number of the posts above. Perhaps some of the skepticism expressed about the legitimacy of this new official site is understandable, but--and I don't mean to imply "I told you so"--my source for this information is very reliable and closely connected to the Carpenter camp. I didn't start this thread based on hearsay, conjecture or gossip from a fellow fan.

And for those of you who are unhappy with how the site now looks, well, as Marilyn so wisely pointed out and as I indicated from the outset, it's under construction. Just as you wouldn't base the appeal of an incomplete house on only it's foundation and framework, you shouldn't jump to conclusions about how this new site will eventually look based on its current appearance. I have no doubt that the end-product will be something that we can all be proud of.

Perhaps if you have ideas that you'd like to see incorporated into the site you could write them down and send a letter to RC. I'm sure he'll see them.

Tony

Many of us have learned not to believe everything that can be read on the Internet, which is why there's a healthy dose of skepticism. It's not a slam on you Tony, it's just the nature of the beast.

If we believed every "friend of mine tells me" story on the Internet, we'd be foolish indeed. Many of us remember "Jon" who allegedly talked all the time to "Herb Alpert's secretary" to let us all know what wonders were planned. It was all bogus of course, and we knew it.

Based on what we're finding out through research, it's looking more and more like this site is, in fact, connected to Richard Carpenter. Still, one cannot deny that right now - it looks cheesy. A building with just a foundation isn't usually spray-painted day-glow blue with yellow writing all over it. A simple and classy "coming soon" message would have been far more intriguing than scrolling, misspelled, hard-to-read, album names.

So don't take it personally, Tony - we don't know your source of information, nor are we asking.

Harry
...setting the record straight, online...

Harry,

Although I understand your skepticism in general, it isn't as if I just popped up on this site yesterday. And for that reason alone I do take it personally. My intent was to share good news with fellow fans. But instead of people expressing delight that something good was in the offing for Carpenters fans, the thread devolved into a petty discussion of legitimacy and aesthetics. I'll keep any good news to myself in the future.

Tony

...signing off of A&M Corner.

Tony,

Sorry you feel that way, but I think you should re-read the thread again. The skepticism expressed by some (not all) is genuine and cautionary. Again, had the "under construction" site been just a little more professional looking, I don't think there would have been much if any doubt.

You've been a member of the site for just about a year, and 85 total posts isn't a lot compared to the people we've gotten "to know". That's no criticism of you, nor your posting style. There's nothing to say you can't post whenever you feel like it, it's just that many may not get to know you without more input.

So when we read a "friend of mine say" post, we're just naturally a bit skeptical. It's not to impune your integrity nor that of your friend's - it's just natural.

I hope you'll re-consider and continue to be a valuable member of our little online family.

Harry

I have been reading these posts and am also distressed at the skepticsim and negativity which seems to be a common theme.

I met Tony at the Top of the World fundraiser and not only does he have legitimate connections, he is a REALLY nice guy.

He has submitted many posts with interesting and informative information and I think after what has transpired here, he should keep the information he has to himself.

A point which I would like to make is that the Carpenter Performing Arts website is certainly a very nice one. We know that it is being redesigned right now. Did it ever occur to anyone that when it is revamped it might have a link to the official Carpenters site?

We've been waiting for years for an official site. Be patient. What's a few more weeks at this stage of the game??

aurora said:
I have been reading these posts and am also distressed at the skepticsim and negativity which seems to be a common theme.

First of all, welcome. Second, a question: Do you (or anyone else) think that the 'official' site, as it exists now, looks good? I understand that it is a site under construction, but you have to admit that what's there now doesn't look much better than any average Joe's site on the web. That's where the disagreement seems to be stemming from. No-one is adverse to having a genuine official Carpenters site.

I met Tony at the Top of the World fundraiser and not only does he have legitimate connections, he is a REALLY nice guy.

Of that I have no doubt. Tony's posts have generally been well thought out and complimentary - but I don't recall him mentioning himself as any kind of "insider." I apologize if he has, and I've forgotten.

He has submitted many posts with interesting and informative information and I think after what has transpired here, he should keep the information he has to himself.

I think his news of an official site is rather exciting. Still, we all should be permitted our own personal skepticism. Anyone on the Internet can say anything.

A point which I would like to make is that the Carpenter Performing Arts website is certainly a very nice one. We know that it is being redesigned right now. Did it ever occur to anyone that when it is revamped it might have a link to the official Carpenters site?

I'm sure that when and if an official site springs up, we'll have a link here too. We're always supportive of artists' personl websites.

Harry
...wondering why everyone's on edge, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom