1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Old A&M/CTi Album Cover Design (and old RCA logo) on new album

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by Michael Hagerty, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty Active Member Thread Starter

Cage The Elephant's "Unpeeled" comes out on July 28th. Here's the cover:

[​IMG]

Steven J. Gross and Bobberman like this.
  2. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Now that is Familiar Yet unique. I always liked the Way the A&M /CTI albums were designed I hope This artist has the decency to credit their inspiration to the people who originally designed them it would be nice as well as a nice tribute as well

3. Michael Hagerty

I hope so, too, Bobberman. Sam Antupit's been dead for 14 years. If they credit him, they get a lot of respect in my book. The album's supposed to be released on July 28, but it's already on Spotify. Of course, that doesn't get you any look at the packaging other than the front cover. Wonder if it'll carry over onto the back, whether it will be a gatefold and whether they'd continue the tribute?

As for the album itself, it looks like they modeled it (in terms of color and logo placement) on Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Tide", which actually was a Creed Taylor produced A&M LP without the CTi imprint:

[​IMG]

Bobberman likes this.
  4. Bobberman

True I have this jobim album on a verve reissue cd but I give universal credit for being true to the original as well as reproducing the vintage A&M ochre label but yes Michael I Agree with you.

5. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Lego Master Model Builder Moderator

So what kind of music is this "Cage the Elephant"??? If I use the cover to judge I would assume it is very "out there." Maybe I should just youtube it...

--Mr Bill

6. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Lego Master Model Builder Moderator

Hmmm. A cross between" .R.E.M." and "Deathcab for Cutie," I'd say...

7. Michael Hagerty

Apparently it's a double LP---on orange-colored and orange-scented vinyl:
    [​IMG]

What I can't tell is whether it's a gatefold cover and if so, whether the A&M/CTi theme carries over on the inside.

8. RichardWarner

RichardWarner Active Member Contributor

Bobberman likes this.
  9. Michael Hagerty

Looks like we might have to wait to find out if there's a gatefold and if the inside carries over the Sam Antupit design. While the CD and digital download dropped yesterday, the vinyl apparently isn't available until August 27.

10. Rear cover of the CD from an eBay ad:

[​IMG]

Bobberman likes this.
  11. Michael Hagerty

Okay...now it's down to the gatefold if there is one.

Bobberman likes this.
  12. Bobberman

Looks very promising if it's a gatefold then this qualifies as a Bona-fide tribute in my opinion almost.

13. Michael Hagerty

[​IMG] Yes, it does! They didn't copy the technique of carrying over the image front-to-back, but close. Really hoping they acknowledge Sam Antupit.

Bobberman likes this.
  14. Bobberman

I hope so too The work Sam Antupit deserves to be recognized as its what the cover art is influenced and inspired by

15. Michael Hagerty

True. It's also not the first time it's been done. Jimac51 noted here at the Corner 14 years ago that he'd discovered a Don Sebesky album from 1984 on GNC Crescendo that mimicked the Sam Antupit design:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bobberman likes this.
  16. Michael Hagerty

No one's shown us a shot of the gatefold for the vinyl, but it appears the CD version of UNPEELED has a gatefold package, and it's reasonable to assume this is what they've done on the inside of the LP jacket as well:

Cage the Elephant Autographed Unpeeled Stereo CD | eBay

So---no credit to Sam Antupit. Sad, but then it would appear Don Sebesky's FULL CYCLE neglected that as well.

Bobberman likes this.
  17. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    If I'm not mistaken, Tide was one of a small handful where the background color was not white. But instead, had a thin white border around the photo.

Here's another CTi with a slightly different layout:

upload_2017-8-30_11-1-46.png

Bobberman likes this.
  18. Michael Hagerty

Rudy: True. The others that didn't do the standard white jacket:

SP 3010: Richard Barbary: SOUL MACHINE
    [​IMG]

SP 3016: J&K (Kai Winding & JJ Johnson): BETWIXT AND BETWEEN
    [​IMG]

SP 3018: Walter Wanderley Set: WHEN IT WAS DONE (first pressings were reflective silver, later ones flat grey)
    [​IMG]

Then, Milton Nascimento's COURAGE, followed by SP 3020: George Benson: TELL IT LIKE IT IS
    [​IMG]

Beyond that, there were the borderless covers of Quincy Jones' WALKING IN SPACE and GULA MATARI and Antonio Carlos Jobim's TIDE (the album that spurred the thread).

Bobberman likes this.
  19. Bobberman

It's seems A&M were trying to to the CTI Album designs differently over time but by the end of the Day it appears they were trying to break away from the usual album designs . Just my opinion of course

20. Michael Hagerty

It (and the independent CTi) was the last gasp of corporate album art---it really kind of overlapped with the beginning of the era of the recording artist having control over the packaging, with the label logo shrunken and then moved to the back cover.

21. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    CTi still had a lot of nice album cover designs post-A&M. If I had time I'd paste a few here.

Bobberman likes this.
  22. RichardWarner

RichardWarner Active Member Contributor

Rudy likes this.