Status
Not open for further replies.

Paula

Found on Dustygroove America's "Upcoming" page:

STILLNESS
PAIS TROPICAL
PRIMAL ROOTS
LIVE AT EXPO '70

are scheduled for release in cd format. They indicate an anticipated arrival date of late August.

Also on the list is a title by Rubens Bassini, RITMO FANTASTICO, due in mid July.

Paula :)

Maybe somebody ought to warn them about a mad rush from the Corner. :wink:

-= N =-

Thanks Paula! Could be an exciting end-to-summer.

Anyone know what the Brasil '77 BRASILICA album is?

Harry
...anticipating, online...

I posted about the Bassini CD some time ago--it's great, plus it has wonderful liner notes by Dom um Romao. I never knew until I read Dom's liner notes on this one that he was Flora Purim's first husband.

Paula said:
STILLNESS
LIVE AT EXPO '70

are scheduled for release in cd format. They indicate an anticipated arrival date of late August.
That makes my day! Two more Brasil '66 albums on CD, and no Dave Grusin in sight -- ahhh! :D

- William

Holy $#@&*%!! This is something I've always dreamed about! :shock:

Who is re-issuing them? And while I'm thrilled to have them, I do wonder if any will have bonus tracks - the Japanese 'Pais', 'Viola' from Expo, and maybe even the single version of 'After Sunrise' and 'The Crab'.

And I'm convinced 'Viola' isn't the only stray extra cut from 'Expo'. :wink:

Harry said:
Thanks Paula! Could be an exciting end-to-summer.

Anyone know what the Brasil '77 BRASILICA album is?

Harry
...anticipating, online...

Dear Harry,

Brazilica is just a compilation album on the TALKIN LOUD label with 16 tracks (2 tracks by SERGIO Mendes BRASIl 77, After the sunrise and Zanzibar). And some other wonderful tracks by Tamba Trio , Barumba. Birimbau by Dom Um Romao Vera Cruz by Milton Nascimento, Roda by Gilberto Gil and Upa Neguinho by Edu Lobo.
One exciting instrumental by João Donato.
Further tracks by Elis Regina Marcos Valle and a Deodato like track by a certain Marcos Resende and Index.

Regards, Aqua do Brasil

Thanks for the info. I seem to remember this being mentioned before but I must've forgotten. It was listed at the Dusty Groove site along with the other new Mendes discs, but was listed as being delayed.

Harry

MasterLcZ said:
Holy $#@&*%!! This is something I've always dreamed about! :shock:

Who is re-issuing them? And while I'm thrilled to have them, I do wonder if any will have bonus tracks - the Japanese 'Pais', 'Viola' from Expo, and maybe even the single version of 'After Sunrise' and 'The Crab'.

And I'm convinced 'Viola' isn't the only stray extra cut from 'Expo'. :wink:

:rolleyes:

Hello.
I was at Expo-Hall on 1970/04/07 and listened the concert. They played 'What the world needs now' at openning and medlayed into 'With a little help from my friend'. The rest of tune is same as 04/08 concert, and album was recorded at 04/08. But 04/07 concert was recorded by broadcast (TV).
So 'What the world needs now - With a little help from my friend medlay' and 'Viola' was cut from Expo concert

Poo

It's even better than Paula said...they also show new releases of FOOL ON THE HILL, CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS, and YE-ME-LE. The FOOL writeup talks about the "naked lady" cover, so maybe this release will restore the artwork to its rightful place in the package.

Great news! Hope it works out. (and that the Herb A. camp is watching the sales ring up!)

The "new" Sergio Mendes CDs listed above are also now being listed at Melody Blvd. Over there, the minimal descriptions clue us in on three things: these are Japanese releases, the release date in Japan is Aug. 21, and the price at Melody Blvd. is $21.99 each.

When I first heard about this, I wondered if it might be the Brazilian re-issues that had been mentioned by B.J. awhile back. I recall hearing from her contact down in Brazil that they were having trouble locating proper master tapes, and even had me send down the liner notes to PRIMAL ROOTS, since the old RAIZES LP didn't have any! Let's hope that the Japanese have come up with proper masters for these, and that they aren't just throwing out some discs mastered from LPs. Heck - I've already GOT those!

I wouldn't be too optimistic about that "naked-lady cover" description, Mike, regarding the other re-issues. Dusty Groove tends to re-use its descriptions from one format to the next. That sounds like a resurrection of an LP description. The other possibility is that these all will fall into the mini-LP format that A&M Japan seems to be foisting on the public. I know that the Roger Nichols album was re-issued that way last fall, as were several other A&M titles. But with the official releases of STILLNESS, PAÍS TROPICAL, and LIVE AT EXPO '70, I'll take any packaging they'll throw at me.

Harry
...figuring to be spending some part of the Labor Day weekend listening to some new Sergio reissues, online...

PS (Mike -- love your new avatar!)

Hello.

SM&Brasil66/77 CD reissue will be from Japanese Universal Record on Aug 21th.

UICY-3701 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/HERB ALPERT PRESENTS SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL'66
UICY-3702 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/EQUINOX
UICY-3703 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/LOOK AROUND
UICY-3704 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/FOOL ON THE HILL
UICY-3705 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS
UICY-3706 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/YE-ME-LE
UICY-3707 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77/STILLNESS
UICY-3708 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77/PAIS TROPICAL
UICY-3709 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77/PRIMAL ROOTS
UICY-3710 Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/LIVE AT THE EXPO '70

These ALL SM&Brasil66/77's A&M first period album will be released.
Price is 1748-yen (plus tax). I don't know these will be re-masterd or not, and have no package information.

Poo

I notice on the above list, that STILLNESS is listed as Brasil '77.

Wasn't STILLNESS released with that name somewhere in the world? I seem to remember hearing that.

Since it really IS the Brasil '77 group that made Stillness (excepting Lani Hall), maybe that's what they'll do with it.

Looking forward to this....maybe I'll have to finally buy HERB ALPERT PRESENTS on CD after all these years! I've only had the LP.

Yes, Mike, the Australian release of Stillness (which, IIRC, actually came out there after Pais Tropical for some unknown reason) was listed under Brasil '77.

It's funny -- I began typing almost the same post as Mike earlier today, about STILLNESS and the Brasil '77 moniker, with the idea that perhaps all of Australasia got STILLNESS as a Brasil '77 project. Then I double-checked and saw that Dusty Groove, HMV in Japan, and Melody Blvd. all had it listed under Brasil '66. If it were true, then my reasoning told that that was perhaps the reason why it never saw release before, only the "'66" works made it.

Harry
...wild theories, no evidence to back them up, online...

Mike Blakesley said:
Looking forward to this....maybe I'll have to finally buy HERB ALPERT PRESENTS on CD after all these years! I've only had the LP.

The real "acid test" will be comparing this CD to the Mobile Fidelity LP, which was remastered from the original two-track.

-= N =-

Now that's what I call great. The whole A&M Brasil '66 catalog will be on CD along with Primal Roots and Pais Tropical! I'm ready for it all. I hope we will see some more A&M releases soon. Joe, who can't wait to order those and Live at Expo '70 :D

This action by Universal Japan leads me to believe that they WOULD release the Herb albums, but since he owns them.... :sad: But maybe someday ... :)

I'm sure one of these days we'll get some better Alpert CDs. I know if Herb sees how Sergio's new CDs sell he might think about it. If Defintive Hits is all Herb wants I'll accept that. It's not a life or death situaton. I'll admit I am not exactly thrilled with Definitive Hits, but I can live with it. I would prefer a retospective box set with liner notes and unreleased recordings, but what Herb wants I can learn to accept. Keep up the hope!

Can someone please walk me through how to use the Universal Japan
website? I have downloaded in order to see the English descriptions,
but even after it was complete I still wasn't able to understand much of it. How does one determine the US prices? After entering Sergio Mendes in the search category I was only able to see one listing, although the search
shows there are 20. And can you please direct me to other import sites?
Thanks,:?: :?: :?:

Shirley, try http://www.hmv.co.jp

That's the Japanese version of the HMV online site. They have an English option though many times track listings are still in Japanese.

Or, when it comes time to order them, go through Dusty Groove or Melody Blvd.

Harry
...trying to be helpful, online...

Thanks Harry,
Sorry for the duplicate posting, got a message that the page had expired
so hit submit again. :oops:

The prices at HMV Japan are very attractive, but outside of Japan they apparently only ship via FedEx. And pricing it out, it appears it would probably cost as much as a set of Mendes CDs just to ship them over here. :-/ If I had a stockpile of $$$, I'd make my own trip over there and fill a couple of suitcases worth. :D

Unless something better comes along, Dusty Groove may be where I end up buying a few of them. I did get a message from Dusty Groove saying that their Mendes titles are usually popular, and that they have large orders in for the titles they have listed on their website.

-= N =-

BJ Major and I aided and assisted Arnie DeSouteiro down in Brazil regarding some information on the reissues of some Sergio Mendes releases like PRIMAL ROOTS, LIVE AT THE EXPO, HOMECOOKING, etc. He's recently forwarded some info regarding those to BJ and she's asked me spread the word here at the Corner:

Arnie Souteiro said:
>Plus, I finally completed that Sergio Mendes reissue series. Among the
>first albums to be reissued, late August, are Home Cooking, Brasil 88, The
>New Brasil 77, Raizes (Primal Roots), Pais Tropical, Stillness and Live at
>Expo 70. Most of them available for the first time on CD. Some will come
>out only in Brazil, others only in Japan.
>There will be other SM albums being reissued soon too, like Ye-Me-Le,
>Crystal Illusions etc, but I was not involved with them.
>I shall return to Japan around August 20, when some new JSR albums and the
>SM reissues will be released.

So it looks like there may be more than just the A&M reissues happening.

Harry
...passing the word along, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom