1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Other Beatles songs you would have wanted the Carpenters to record

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Buried Alien, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Buried Alien

Buried Alien Member Thread Starter

Early in their career, the Carpenters recorded several Beatles songs, including "Ticket to Ride," "Help!," and "Nowhere Man." At one point, I think they were even a bit concerned that they would be perceived as a Beatles cover band.

What other songs from the Beatles' catalog do you think would have worked great for a Carpenters treatment? I feel that "You Won't See Me" from RUBBER SOUL would have been great for the Carpenters. "No Reply" from BEATLES FOR SALE might also have been very good.

Notably, though the Carpenters' tuneful style would seem to match well with Paul McCartney's composition style, the three Beatles songs that the Carpenters recorded and released were all John Lennon compositions.

Carpe diem likes this.
  2. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I wish they had done a take on In My Life. That song is beautiful. The Seekers did a lovely version only a few years ago and I often think how Karen would have performed the song.

Brian and Carpe diem like this.
  3. Here, There and Everywhere. I could imagine Karen adding her unique emotional interpretation to it.

theninjarabbit likes this.
  4. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I'm going for the obvious because I think it would have been showstopping: "Yesterday"

5. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

You and I share the same opinion here! This song came to mind when reading this thread -- I don't usually hear nonexistent versions of songs. :D "Here, There, and Everywhere" is a favorite from REVOLVER and a favorite Beatles track in general.

Another track our duo performed from Revolver -- "Good Day Sunshine"! I hear the little snippet of Karen's voice from the Make Your Own Kind of Music "medley" when that song comes up. Gorgeous.

Carpe diem likes this.
  6. K.C. Jr

K.C. Jr Well-Known Member

US
    "Hey Jude"....overdub city, anyone?

goodjeans and djn like this.
  7. Buried Alien

"Got To Get You Into My Life" would be another great one from REVOLVER, possibly with Richard on lead vocals.

8. Here's one for the "out there" category: Paul McCartney's Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey; great vocals range for Karen to play with and a hot mess of a song for Richard to arrange.

djn likes this.
  9. djn

djn Well-Known Member

And I think it would be a gas if Karen played drums on CarpenterS Beatles tribute album.

Carpe diem likes this.
  10. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

That's a great shout! I could imagine that sitting in the tracklist of Offering quite nicely.

11. Buried Alien

Oh, yeah. It'd have been a piece of cake for Karen to get Ringo's parts down.

djn likes this.
  12. Brian

Brian Active Member

Across the Universe.

13. Helter Skelter (okay, just kidding... :razz: )

Buried Alien and Carpe diem like this.
  14. That could've been their 1974 album!

djn likes this.
  15. Buried Alien

An early Beatles harmony tune such as "This Boy" could have fit well into the Carpenters' oldies medley.

16. kprather

kprather Member

The ironic thing is that The Carpenters were just about the only band at the time NOT to cover it. It's been covered over 2,200 times, making it one of the most covered songs of all time.
    Yesterday (Beatles song) - Wikipedia