1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Other Female Singers

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by song4u, Sep 11, 2012.

1. The best female singer of the last twenty years for me. The soulfulness, the singular phrasing and power are unmatched. Back to Black is a masterpiece of music, and she has plenty of other gems.

natureaker likes this.
  2. In December 1983 when I came home from college for the Christmas break, I purchased "What's New" along with "Voice of the Heart". I loved Linda's collaboration with Nelson Riddle and mourned if only Richard and Karen had put out a similar album in 1980 after their "Music, Music, Music" special. I also purchased "Lush Life" and "For Sentimental Reasons". In the late 1980's, I started buying Gloria Estefan's recordings along with Linda's.

3. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Agree with this comment.

4. newvillefan

Love Is A Losing Game is gorgeous. Amy's vocal is a masterpiece and the string pattern is absolutely divine. Listening to the line "so professed, profound/til the chips were down" and the strings that accompany it takes me right into Carpenters goosebumps territory. Karen could really have sung this well.

5. That song takes me to another world. I mean, the whole album does, but this was like a modern standard without any irony underlying it; it could be sung by any singer and have the same emotional impact, despite being deeply personal for Amy herself.

6. newvillefan

Aside from anything Judith Durham sang, this is quite possibly the prettiest song of the 1960s.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    GaryAlan likes this.
  7. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Love the sound of the sixties, Stephen! Thanks for sharing. :D

newvillefan likes this.
  8. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Gari Geiselman performing
    We've Only Just Begun--
    Richard Carpenter accompanies on Keyboards
    When/Where ?: