1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Other Female Singers

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by song4u, Sep 11, 2012.

1. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Speaking of female voices.... Marilyn McCoo...

I've been listening to some 5th Dimension today. Her voice is a knockout just like Karen's. "One Less Bell to Answer" comes to mind of course, but she also does "(Last Night) I Didn't Get to Sleep At All" and a great version of "Never My Love". Heavenly!

song4u and Jamesj75 like this.
  2. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Saw her live in concert several years ago. Still sounds amazing- and still beautiful as well!

Jamesj75 likes this.
  3. theninjarabbit likes this.
  4. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

^^ Absolutely!

theninjarabbit likes this.
  5. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member

Besides the duets CD with Amy Sky & Beth Nielsen Chapman, Olivia Newton - John has another Christmas CD called "Friends For Christmas" (with John Farnham) from last year. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

6. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

Watching the Graham Norton Show last night and they had a singer on called Beth Ditto. Her band's drumkit had her logo on it and from a distance it looked a bit Carpenteresque. Looking her up it's very similar.

[​IMG]

7. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Thought are with her but this doesn't look good. For it to have spread to her spine means the likelihood of long term survival is slim and I definitely don't think she'll be back to performing in August. I really hope I'm wrong.

8. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    This is really sad news and I'm at a loss for words....praying for the best...in the signature of Olivia....I send Love & Light!!!:love:

9. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

I echo the articulate, genuine sentiments of others on here regarding Olivia...

@Rick-An Ordinary Fool, I have been awaiting comment from you, as you are, arguably, Olivia's greatest fan at this site. For those who don't know this, Rick previously used as his avatar a photo of Karen with Olivia. So in the vein of friendship, love, and prayer, we are all joined together in sending Olivia our positive thoughts...

10. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Wow terrific link and one that you could spend hours watching and listening. A song for each year of her life, pretty cool. Of course I love ALL the songs but I would have to re arrange them up a bit....Recovery at 64...hmmm I'd bump that closer to top 5, love that song. It might take me a couple days to go through this list. :)

11. theninjarabbit

We'll send a search party for you if we don't hear from you in a week. :D

12. newvillefan

I'd have put Landslide much higher than #33, Suspended In Time in the top 10 and there's absolutely no mention at all of Not Gonna Be The One, which I think was the best song she's recorded since the 1990s.

Mark-T likes this.
  13. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

We've Only Just Begun, A small Carpenters' tribute:

14. My favorite ONJ song would have to be the duet she did with Cliff Richard, Suddenly, off the "Xanadu" soundtrack. Absolutely beautiful...

song4u likes this.
  15. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Love it- but my favorite duet is "I Can't Help It" with Andy Gibb.

16. newvillefan

Mine is Suspended In Time. There's an amazing clip online where she sings this on one of her specials and the tears are streaming down her face by the end of her performance. That sold it for me.

Carpe diem likes this.
  17. theninjarabbit

Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane of Spanky and Our Gang. Great 60s pop. "Like to Get to Know You" is probably my favorite of their selections- the single version has the tasty coda that ends the album of the same name.

Carpe diem likes this.
  18. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

Picking up on a theme I recently mentioned in another thread, don't you just hate these subjective rankings? They can be infuriating when they so differ from our own choices. To their benefit, they invite consideration and discussion.

In this instance, I am a big fan of Olivia's, though I am not a completist. I know pretty much all the singles, but I am unfamiliar with many of the songs in this countdown. Similarly, maybe a casual Carpenters' fan would be unfamiliar with terrific album cuts, such as "Two Sides" and "You."

Not making the cut in the aforementioned list of 68 songs is anything from Olivia's 2006 inspirational CD, Grace and Gratitude. This is a remarkable listening experience, as referred to me by a good friend. About half the songs are New Age instrumentals and the other half are beautiful ballads, including some collaborations with other singers. On my ranking of greatest Olivia songs, I would include "Instrument of Peace" as well as "I Will Lift Up My Eyes" (the latter a collaboration with Amy Sky). Amy Sky, along with Beth Nielsen Chapman, collaborated with Olivia on the 2016 release Liv On, which also includes some terrific work. The voices of Amy Sky and Olivia blend very well, indeed. I like Grace and Gratitude so much, I play it all the time.