Overdubbed Vocal Pieces You Like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

We're talking on the boards about Carpenters hooks that get to us and Karen's highest and lowest notes. It all got me to thinking.

Because they were so known for their overdubbed vocals, what parts of songs where they do this are your most favorite?

One of mine is found on Horizon on the song Love Me For What I Am.
Towards the end when the lyric line is "So let me go".

The recording technique is so crisp and the vocal so perfectly rendered, it always stops me in my tracks when I'm listening to this album.

"Another Song" -- "the warmth of you had gone"...'nuff said
"I'll Never Fall In Love Again" -- "here to remind you, here to remind you"
"Merry Christmas Darling" -- "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas Darling" at the end, gets me every time
"Mr. Guder" -- "bahs" and "badas" that eventually intertwine with the flute

My favorite example of their overdubbed harmonies, in addition to their individual drumming and piano talents, is actually the Bacharach-David Medley.

Last edited:
There's a ton of them, but the first that came to mind is the part midway through "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" where the overdubs kick in with a slight echo on "Don't tell me what it's all about..." Second, the choral outro of "Goodbye to Love".

We're talking on the boards about Carpenters hooks that get to us and Karen's highest and lowest notes. It all got me to thinking.

Because they were so known for their overdubbed vocals, what parts of songs where they do this are your most favorite?

The recording technique is so crisp and the vocal so perfectly rendered, it always stops me in my tracks when I'm listening to this album.

My favorite too. I used to live in beautiful area of So. Cal. and take long walks after dinner during sunset. I would listen to this album, over and over again. Richard says Horizon was "draggy" and I never understood that. He captured the greatest female vocalist of all time at her peak. The richness of Karen's voice and quality of those recordings is very unique and mesmerizing, no doubt that.

Those final OOOsss at the end of Crystal Lullaby. . .in the remix, or maybe even the original mix, Richard has them come "forward", totally surrounding you.

If ever there'd been a second SACD this track would've been GREAT in surround.

Love so many of these listed above. A few that have always stood out to me:
  • The very end of “I Won’t Last A Day Without You.” - “Without you-ooh.”
  • Agree with “Crystal Lullaby,” @ullalume and will add similarly affecting vocals on “Road Ode.”
  • And of course, the “Waaahs” on “For All We Know.” Pop perfection.
  • And the slightly over-the-top, but I love it, anyway, middle of “Sombody’s Been Lyin.” - “I’d be wiser to go on my own (be wise to go on my own) WAAAAY.”

"As they melt the years awaaaaaaaay". I always loved that part since I was a kid.

Listen to this.

Chris, how was this achieved? SACD? Parametric EQ? Very interesting separations here...

I remember listening to this version on that Captain Rockitt's Time Machine show, "The Rare, The Odd, and the Lovely". He also played a version containing parts of "All Of My Life", "Mr. Guder", and a third track I can't think of. It's fascinating hearing them like this and it made me fall in love with the Carpenters sound all over again - thanks for sharing.

Edit: I found the video. I think I have just discovered a gold mine...

Last edited:

I totally agree! To this day, I get lost in this song, too and anticipated it's release as a single after Only Yesterday, but was disappointed when it was just the flip side of Solitaire.
I also love Invocation and Benediction from Offering, and the extra layer of vocal harmonies captured in the singles version of Top of the World.
To this day, I think that if Richard gave the same treatment to I'm Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You that he gave Tryin To Get The Feeling Again that we would have another super song.

Way too many to mention, but one of my favorites that I just listend to earlier this week is Road Ode....."please take me back home...." and "coming to an end for meeeee.....". Also love the vocals in A Song for You right before "I love you in a place....". These still move me, year after year after year....

I remember listening to this version on that Captain Rockitt's Time Machine show, "The Rare, The Odd, and the Lovely". He also played a version containing parts of "All Of My Life", "Mr. Guder", and a third track I can't think of. It's fascinating hearing them like this and it made me fall in love with the Carpenters sound all over again - thanks for sharing.

Edit: I found the video. I think I have just discovered a gold mine...

In the early/mid 90's (before YT or the internet) I took every C's stereo mix I could get and put them through many settings on my 32 band graphic EQ. Then I bought a 64 band and heard even more amazing things. I recorded all that stuff on my 8 track recorder and would listen to them for hours. I still have those cassette tapes.

Small part in later verse of Somebody's Been Lyin'......
"...on my own way..."
nice overdubs.

(Lately, my vinyl LP of Made In America has been garnering much play.
As such, I like it more and more,especially on Vinyl).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom