Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Know You

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After Midnight

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the solo on "Zanzibar," but it's not very technically demanding. There would have been no reason to overdub it. Someone here years ago said something very cogent about Sergio's playing, something like "Sergio may not be the best pianist in the world, but he's one of the smartest." I agree absolutely--his solos are always models of construction and clear, concise statements. Nothing overtly flashy, in the Tatum or Eldar senses, but always very solid.

I just assumed that the solo was overdubbed because of the "panning" / "seperation" of chords and solo.

I was a hard core SM fan beginning with his first A&M LP, enduring Sergio's many personnel changes. The change in female vocalists in particular annoyed me. Too much emphasis was placed on Lani Hall's vocals, when Karen Phillipp was just as talented and looked sensational on stage. Credit has to also be given to Janis Hansen. Sergio fired her ironically after she recorded her famous lead on "Look of Love". Grancinha got better as years progressed, but her English accent is so thick on "Lost in Paradise" from Stillness, that to me it is unlistenable. I imagine to Brazilians, Lani's Portuguese was just as annoying! In "Pais Tropical" Sergio finally uses his brain and assigned Karen the English vocals and Gracinha the Portuguese.
Both however double track on the title tune and "So Many People". But the stand out for me is "After Midnight". The tune really showcases Karen's sexy voice and that she could sing Lani under the table.

afcorsel said:
I was a hard core SM fan beginning with his first A&M LP, enduring Sergio's many personnel changes. The change in female vocalists in particular annoyed me. Too much emphasis was placed on Lani Hall's vocals, when Karen Phillipp was just as talented and looked sensational on stage. Credit has to also be given to Janis Hansen. Sergio fired her ironically after she recorded her famous lead on "Look of Love". Grancinha got better as years progressed, but her English accent is so thick on "Lost in Paradise" from Stillness, that to me it is unlistenable. I imagine to Brazilians, Lani's Portuguese was just as annoying! In "Pais Tropical" Sergio finally uses his brain and assigned Karen the English vocals and Gracinha the Portuguese.
Both however double track on the title tune and "So Many People". But the stand out for me is "After Midnight". The tune really showcases Karen's sexy voice and that she could sing Lani under the table.

Morro Velho is the best song on the album and it's sung by Grancinha. I disagree with you

JMAR5: Nowhere in the quoted post does he say that Gracinha doesn't sing "Morro Velho."

Be careful of making absolute statements such as "Morro Velho is the best song on the album." For you, that may be true; for others it may not. I bought this album when it came out and have heard it hundreds of times; for me, "Morro Velho" is a bottom-scraper; of the album's songs, only "I Know You" rates lower with me. But that's just me. As a wise person once said, "Your mileage may vary."

^...which is why the phrase (and acronym) IMHO (in my humble opinion) is appropriately used often in Internet conversations.

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
JMAR5: Nowhere in the quoted post does he say that Gracinha doesn't sing "Morro Velho."

Be careful of making absolute statements such as "Morro Velho is the best song on the album." For you, that may be true; for others it may not. I bought this album when it came out and have heard it hundreds of times; for me, "Morro Velho" is a bottom-scraper; of the album's songs, only "I Know You" rates lower with me. But that's just me. As a wise person once said, "Your mileage may vary."

That's not what I was saying Mike. Yes......**IMO** "Morro Velho" is the best song on the album. I think Gracinha's voice is spectacular on it. I felt like the original poster was making digs at both Lani and Gracinha's voices and I disagreed with him. He was the one who criticized Lani & Gracinha. I was defending them.

Let me explain further. All three have really good voices. I saw all three in person. Grancinha was with Bossa Rio and was Sergio's opening act back in the late 60's and early 70's. IMHO, I enjoyed Grancinha's Brazilian recordings much more. Hence I agree with Morro Velho being a great recording by her. For me, On Her early recordings her thick English accent got in the way of her vocals. She recorded 2 Bossa Rio albums, one on A&M, the other on Blue Thumb records. Check them out if haven't already. Her versions of "Saiupa" and "Zarzuiera" are excellent. But having seen a couple iterations of Brazil '66, Karen Phillip was a pleasure to watch on stage. And I felt she was always overshadowed by Lani.

afcorsel said:
Let me explain further. All three have really good voices. I saw all three in person. Grancinha was with Bossa Rio and was Sergio's opening act back in the late 60's and early 70's. IMHO, I enjoyed Grancinha's Brazilian recordings much more. Hence I agree with Morro Velho being a great recording by her. For me, On Her early recordings her thick English accent got in the way of her vocals. She recorded 2 Bossa Rio albums, one on A&M, the other on Blue Thumb records. Check them out if haven't already. Her versions of "Saiupa" and "Zarzuiera" are excellent. But having seen a couple iterations of Brazil '66, Karen Phillip was a pleasure to watch on stage. And I felt she was always overshadowed by Lani.

I would agree with you on Karen being overshadowed by Lani. It did seem like Lani Hall was their lead singer though. Do you think that's why Karen left the fold?

I know Karen had gotten a role in the first couple episodes of MASH as Lt. Dish! Plus she also did a layout in Playboy at the time. So she was branching out into other areas. She also wrote a beautiful song that Helen Reddy included in her Capitol album "I Am Woman", entitled "I Didn't Mean to Love You". Not sure of her relationship with Gracinha, as Gracinha was about to marry Sergio. Lani of course married label owner Herb Alpert. So I guess it seemed like a good time for Karen to leave and try things out on her own. Her future seemed bright, but the last I read she married and now lives in Minnesota, I think.

I know I saw Sergio with Bonnie Bowden and Gracinha on TV after the "Love Music" LP was released and they were singing "Scarborough Fair". Or trying to!!! Frankly it hurt my ears to listen and I had to turn the sound off. No one could do the old hits like Lani and Karen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom