'PAIS TROPICAL' Japan CD cut-out bin find

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
For $4.95 plus tax I found a Japan CD copy of 'PAIS TROPICAL' yesterday in a used disc bin. This was at McKay's Used Books, CDs and DVDs in Chattanooga.

There are ten tracks on "UICY-3708" including the bonus track, the title song sung in Japanese. Sound quality is excellent throughout. The booklet folds open via a small envelope-type flap just like the old LP cover. Inside is an insert with Japanese lyrics & liner notes.

The booklet's interior lists other available Sergio discs & catalog numbers, most being the A&M albums we know.

Two releases are especially interesting, "EXPO '70" -- UICY-3710 -- and a 26-track compliation titled 'SERGIO MENDES SONGS' selected by Carlos Murphy -- UICY-1999. The tracks on this one are listed, unfortunately, in Japanese.

I'm continually amazed by what people thoughtlessly discard, but their loss is my gain. As Steely Dan put it: "the things they think are useless I can't understand."

JB

SERGIO MENDES SONGS is an interesting compilation. First off, you're right, that promo inside does indeed say "selected by Carlos Murphy - aka Shinichi Osawa". The copy I have just says Shinichi Osawa and is catalog UICY-1119. I'm assuming they're the same actual disc. This is one of those real nice-sounding compilations, well-mastered, with an interesting track list of some uncommon selections.

f59351z86nt.jpg

The track listing is:

1. Mas Que Nada
2. Daytripper
3. Night And Day
4. Wave
5. Agua De Beber
6. Masquerade
7. Zanzibar
8. For What It's Worth
9. After Midnight
10. Constant Rain
11. Laia Ladaia
12. The Frog
13. Roda
14. Wichita Lineman
15. Moanin'
16. Empty Faces
17. What The World Needs Now
18. Batucada
19. Tim Dom Dom
20. Bim-Bom
21. Berimbau
22. Cinamon And Clove
23. The Joker
24. Tristeza (Goodbye Sadness)
25. Mas Que Nada (live at Greek Theater) [*]
26. Mas Que Nada (Carlos Murphy Edit) [*]

Congrats on the PAÌS TROPICAL find. That's the same CD package I have - probably paid $30 for it when it was new. (And it was worth every penny.)

Harry

I have that one too. Pretty cool how they made the booklet mimic the LP cover.

I remember being really disappointed when I first bought that LP, opened that flap and found nothing underneath it! I thought, why have the flap then? I thought there would be individual group pics, liner notes or something. Ah well...it's a great album anyway. (Except "I Know You") :D

There's a noticeable dropout at the end of GONE FOREVER on that disc.

There's a noticeable dropout at the end of GONE FOREVER on that disc.

True. The dropout isn't present on the LP, the only other place I can finds "Gone Forever". It's amazing to me that it's never made one of the myriad compilations.

I also noticed (maybe I knew it before, but forgot?) that the label of the LP of PAÌS TROPICAL spells the group name as "BRAZIL '77". It's true on both the stock album and the white label promo.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom