Passion Dance DVD - Avoid It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Well, they punked me again! :evil: I just got the "DVD" version of Passion Dance, and it's just a repackaged version of the DTS audio - but in a DVD case. I was notified on Monday that it had been shipped, and when I went to the CDNow site, they had a synopsis saying it was 9 tracks. Since PD has 10 tracks, and the DTS version had 11 (which had Lani's "Brasil Nativo") on it, I thought it was something different. After all, the Munich concert had 9 tracks to it, so I thought maybe that was it. But it wasn't to be. They did actually credit Lani for "Brasil Nativo" this time, but that's it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a nasty little letter to write... :confused:

Capt. Bacardi
...PO'd online...

I don't think you'll have a problem getting a refund...although whoever enters these should be a helluva lot more careful in how they classify it.

I'm still a bit ticked over that 'Club CD' issue. Not that I mind a club CD, but nowhere on their site do they specifically say that the CDs are not genuine record company releases.

-= N =-

Oh great. I ordered it. I'll try to cancel....

Why, if it's not a stupid question, was this released at all? What's it got over the other versions?

Stephen

It was just a repackaging, to make it conform with other releases in the DTS/DVD Audio/SACD formats.

I mentioned this on the board a few months ago -- that I was in Best Buy, saw a section of "super" CDs and that Herb's PASSION DANCE was among them. And I mentioned that the packaging had changed. It was in a larger (taller) jewel-case and that Lani's "Brasil Nativo" was credited as being from her album.

A similar thing happened with The Corrs' IN BLUE DVD Audio. When it was first released, it came out in a CD-sized jewel box. Later, it too was re-issued in the larger sized jewel box. I suppose some kind of industry organization came up with a standard size of packaging so that retailers would have an easier time allocating space for these specialty discs.

Harry
...owner of both discs in the earlier format, online...

From CDNow's description, or lack thereof, you're almost led to believe it is a video. My guess is they repackaged it to sell more of a slow-moving title. So instead of selling it as a "DTS CD", they can call it a DVD and sell more units. (Especially with DVD-Audio on the horizon--the old version was probably too confusing.) Not sure if the price is any lower, though.

-= N =-

Oh, and Stephen: were you asking about why PASSION DANCE was reissued in the DTS format, or why it was re-packaged? After re-reading your question, I wasn't sure.

In case you're unaware, PASSION DANCE was issued in a DTS 5.1-channel format a couple of years ago. It also included a "bonus track" of "Brasil Nativo" that was lifted from Lani's Windham Hill album. If you have a DTS-capable receiver or decoder, you can hear the album remixed into 5.1 discrete channels of audio. A novelty to be sure, but a fun one for audio hobbyists.

Harry
...clarifying, just in case, online...

Harry said:
If you have a DTS-capable receiver or decoder, you can hear the album remixed into 5.1 discrete channels of audio. A novelty to be sure, but a fun one for audio hobbyists.

Wow...it's been ages since I've sat down and actually listened to something...even my older Dolby Pro-Logic CDs. These days I'm usually only able to listen to something as the background to doing something else. DVDs? I'm lucky to be able to watch them in half-hour chunks on my computer.

Times have changed. :wink:

-= N =-
...burning more midnight oil...

Harry

I bought the DTS version when it came out - heaven knows why as I haven't got anything capable of playing it! - but I was wondering why the so-called DVD was being released if it was no different from what went before, other than packaging. And you've answered my question although I've cancelled my order!!

Stephen

It would be a good idea to send the complaints to CDNow anyway. Anything that has that vague of a description needs to be revised...or remove, IMHO.

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom