Passion Dance DVD Due July 30th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

While browsing through some stuff at CD Now I noticed that a DVD of Herb Alpert's Passion Dance is due for release. At first I thought it was just the DTS version, but that's listed separately. They list the release date as July 30th.

I'll be curious what this will be. Would the video be a newly created thing, or was this something done 5 years ago and just put into a can? Or maybe a live performance? Finally, a bit of anticipation for Alpert fans. :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi
...eagerly awaiting online...

I'll be curious what this will be. Would the video be a newly created thing, or was this something done 5 years ago and just put into a can? Or maybe a live performance? Finally, a bit of anticipation for Alpert fans. :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi
...eagerly awaiting online...

Staff at Herb's office told me that they had a lot of video from the "Passion Dance" Tour. Have you seen the tape of the Munich show from German TV?

As long as it's not a DVD-Audio release... :rolleyes:

-= N =-

Steve Sidoruk said:
Staff at Herb's office told me that they had a lot of video from the "Passion Dance" Tour. Have you seen the tape of the Munich show from German TV?

Yes, I have that. I even put the audio onto a CD-R. It's a good show, and I wouldn't mind if this is what's on the DVD - IF they cover the botched note on "Rise". :cool: It would be really cool if it's done with the 5.1 DTS sound. But there's no info on the DVD as of yet.

Capt. Bacardi
...now one month away from taking a vacation online...

Captain Bacardi said:
Yes, I have that. I even put the audio onto a CD-R. It's a good show, and I wouldn't mind if this is what's on the DVD - IF they cover the botched note on "Rise". :cool: It would be really cool if it's done with the 5.1 DTS sound. But there's no info on the DVD as of yet.

I'm just hoping it's not a DVD-Audio release of the Passion Dance album...if so, it would probably match the 50 or so DTS copies that were sold. :confused: If it IS a live concert video, and a domestic release, CDNow should have it.

I'll poke around a bit and see if I can turn up anything. Maybe one of the DVD sites I browse will have something other than artist and title. But then again... :|

-= N =-

I poked around a couple of other sites and haven't turned up anything else. I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those CDNow listing glitches, where it really is just the DTS version listed twice. Searching around, I haven't found it anywhere else, and with a release date less than two weeks away, you'd think it would be all over the place. Anyone else find another listing?

Harry
...hoping for the best but expecting the worst, online...

I noticed that at CDNow also. (Harry and I must be in "parallel thinking" mode again. :wink: ) One thing that bothers me slightly is why it would take this long to release a video/concert for an album that hasn't been promoted in a few years.

CDNow isn't known for accuracy--I had them clean up the Cal Tjader listings a couple of years ago, but I see that newer CDs are getting scattered around in separate artist listings again. They also have some "orphaned" listings that aren't really valid, and for some import and other non-popular titles, they have no description or track listing.

The DVD release info could only mean three things:
  1. This is a lower-priced reissue of the DTS version;
  2. This is a DVD-Audio release;
  3. This is a video concert (which could be domestic or an import...and if it's an import, there's a 50/50 chance it won't play here due to region encoding and/or the NTSC/Pal difference).

No news about it on DVD Planet, and no mention of Alpert on The Digital Bits. I'll have to look around some more, or just ask CDNow what's up. (And hope for a straight answer. :confused: )

-= N =-

Could this be the "reissue" that Herb was talking about a few weeks ago? :confused:

Dan, hoping for more, but thankful for ANYTHING from HA...

Rudy said:
I noticed that at CDNow also. (Harry and I must be in "parallel thinking" mode again. :wink: ) One thing that bothers me slightly is why it would take this long to release a video/concert for an album that hasn't been promoted in a few years.

That's true, but I've noticed that there have been a lot of DVDs in stores of older albums, so maybe this is one of those "bandwagon" things.

Rudy said:
The DVD release info could only mean three things:This is a video concert (which could be domestic or an import...and if it's an import, there's a 50/50 chance it won't play here due to region encoding and/or the NTSC/Pal difference).

It does say that this has a Region 1 encoding (playable in the US and Canada), so that's somewhat hopeful. I've ordered it, so we'll see what happens.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
That's true, but I've noticed that there have been a lot of DVDs in stores of older albums, so maybe this is one of those "bandwagon" things.

What would be fascinating is if Alpert did a "Classic Albums" installment for Whipped Cream or even Rise.

It does say that this has a Region 1 encoding (playable in the US and Canada), so that's somewhat hopeful. I've ordered it, so we'll see what happens.

That will be interesting to say the least! (And IMHO, you do have a valid case that they did not have a description online when you preordered it, should you want to return it!)

-= N =-

Rudy said:
What would be fascinating is if Alpert did a "Classic Albums" installment for Whipped Cream or even Rise.

Wasn't that one of those VH-1 shows? I saw something similar to that where they talked about Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life, and it was interesting to watch. Rise would be perfect for a show like that.

Capt. Bacardi

Not being a VH-1 watcher, I don't know...these could be the same. There is a Stevie Wonder DVD for Songs In The Key Of Life. I have a few of these DVDs...they're all interesting. Offhand, I have:

Steely Dan: Aja
U2: The Joshua Tree
Metallica: Metallica
Phil Collins: Face Value
The Who: Who's Next

Not coincidentally, these are/were all major albums for me. Stevie's is, as well, but I haven't bought it yet. Ditto Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

They're all great for anyone who likes to see the making of an album. (It's intriguing to watch Donald Fagen and Walter Becker rejecting perfectly good guitar solos for "Peg", all done by different major well-known studio guitarists, just because they "weren't right".)

I was suggesting Whipped Cream due to the breakthrough it became for the TJB (and would give us rare insight into the musicians who were recording with Herb during those years), and Rise mainly for Herb reinventing his sound, as well as the many guest musicians and the involvement of Randy Badazz and Andy Armer.

For that matter, a Carpenters installment would be neat. An improvement over the "sad Karen story" angle of it (which has been covered enough on video), I think it would be neat to hear how Richard would analyze what was recorded, how he heard it in his head, and how he arranged and produced it to get the final result. Doing this for the A Song For You album would be ideal.

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom