Pelé Soundtrack: the CHICO SPIDER/SERGIO MENDES question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Mendes Fans,

Although not an A&M release, the 1977 Atlantic/WEA records release ‘PELE’, the soundtrack of the movie about the life of the extraordinary Brazilian soccer legend PELE produced by SERGIO MENDES has a hidden question for me:

In the musicians credits lines, the name CHICO SPIDER is mentioned on keyboards.
I’m not quite sure, but in my humble opinion, it’s SERGIO himself according on his particularly trademark-keyboard sound.

The album is a nice mix of electric fusion West Coast LA ’70, Jazz and Brazilian sounds and some tracks sung by PELE himself along with the great profesional vocal support by GRACINHA LEPORACE.

Great perfomances by the late Jazz Baritone Sax legend Gerry Mulligan, here on soprane sax (very, very rare), and Oscar Castro Neves who set the rhytmic guitar groove all over the place.
Further amongst others, with Jim Keltner on drums, Laudir Soares Oliveira and Steve Foreman on percussion.
Especially the track ‘THE SADNESS OF GOODBYE is a highlight moment for me.

Sergio, a big soccer fan was very into this soccer situation at he mid- seventies of the 20th. century, see the cover on his 1977 Elektra/WEA release ‘SERGIO MENDES AND THE NEW BRASIL ’77’ with Pele as Doctor
on the ‘SOCCER’ cover.
Pele was in these days terminating his great career as a player with
the WEA-NEW YORK COSMOS soccer team.

With kind regards,
Aqua do Brasil

Funny you should mention it; I bought the CD a few nights ago. I'm not sure Chico Spider is a stage name for Sergio, and a few points on this:

1) why now? Up until now, Sergio has always (correct me if I'm wrong, please) used his real name. I'm not sure why he'd choose otherwise on this album which, although beautiful, didn't sell well.

2) There are other Bossa Nova albums floating around that bear the Spider name but have no association with Mendes.

Hope this helps, if I'm not totally washed-up.

seashorepiano said:
Funny you should mention it; I bought the CD a few nights ago. I'm not sure Chico Spider is a stage name for Sergio, and a few points on this:

1) why now? Up until now, Sergio has always (correct me if I'm wrong, please) used his real name. I'm not sure why he'd choose otherwise on this album which, although beautiful, didn't sell well.

2) There are other Bossa Nova albums floating around that bear the Spider name but have no association with Mendes.

Thanks, Sheashorepiano.
I was not sure about it, and I’m not aware of CHICO SPIDER as an studio musician or an artist in his own right.
But, I believe your right, and CHICO SPIDER did certainly a good job on the album and captured a real groovy Bossa keyboard sound. All I know is that SERGIO produced and arranged the entire album.

I try too find out some of Chico Spiders recordings
Again a wonderful album.

Thanks for the info, Sheashorepiano.
All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

seashorepiano said:

Dear Seashorepiano,

Is it possible too find some recordings by Chico Spider?
I try, but didn’t succeed.
Can you advice me?

Thanks in advance.
All the best,
Aqua Do brasil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom