Personal Compilations

Standards: Past & Future Classics

1. I Got Rhythm Medley
2. You're Just In Love
3. When I Fall In Love
4. Little Girl Blue
5. From This Moment On
6. Goofus
7. Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)
8. Caravan
9. I Can Dream, Can't I?
10. White Christmas
11. I'll Be Home For Christmas
12. Look To Your Dreams
13. Good Night

Back to the 60's

Somebody posted a compilation of songs the Beatles had also recorded.
They are all represented here, plus more.

1. Help
2. Dancing In The Street
3. Baby It's You
4. Get Together
5. Nowhere Man
6. California Dreamin'
7. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
8. Please Mr. Postman
9. I'll Never Fall In Love Again
10. Can't Buy Me Love
11. Beechwood 4-5789
12. Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
13. Ticket To Ride
14. Bacharach-David Medley

As far as compilations go,I think Richard finally hit the nail on the head with "40/40".I don't think you could ask for a more definitive Compilation-so many great tracks on one package(Ordinary Fool,One More Time,When You've Got What It Takes,A Song For You,Baby Its You,This Masquerade,etc).

But,I think a standards/torch compilation is long overdue.To have "I Can Dream Can't I","Little Girl Blue","Don't Cry For Me Argentina","When I Fall In Love","Ordinary Fool" and all the other standard material on one package would be one gem of an album!K&R's original standard -style material:"Sometimes","Look To Your Dreams" and "Somebody's Been Lyin" would complement the album perfectly.
Awesome!!!

I think a standards/torch compilation is long overdue.To have "I Can Dream Can't I","Little Girl Blue","Don't Cry For Me Argentina","When I Fall In Love","Ordinary Fool" and all the other standard material on one package would be one gem of an album!K&R's original standard -style material:"Sometimes","Look To Your Dreams" and "Somebody's Been Lyin" would complement the album perfectly.

I think the Karen/Ella Medley would sit right at home on such a collection too.

Get%20Together%20Front_zpsc30uyd7i.jpg
Get%20Together%20Front_zpsc30uyd7i.jpg.html

Back to the 60's

Nice collection. This is the cover I made for the collection.

I added "You'll Love Me", "Cinderella Rockefella", and "I Fell in Love Again" from Your Navy Presents before "Cant Buy Me Love". I also switched the Bacharach-David Medley with Ticket to end the CD With "Ticket to Ride".

Made In America - Redux

1)Those Good Old Dreams
2)At The End Of A Song
3)Back In My Life
4)When You've Got What It Takes
5)The Uninvited Guest
6)Rainbow Connection
7)Touch Me When We're Dancing
8)When It's Gone
9)Beechwood
10)Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night

Well, here it is: I finally assembled this one (a most difficult task, indeed)

Personal Favorites

Disc One
1) All Of My life
2) All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
3) At The End of A Song
4) Bless The Beasts and Children
5) Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
6) (They Long To Be) Close To You
7) Don't Be Afraid
8) Eve
9) For All We Know
10) (I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You
11) Goodbye To love
12) Happy
13) (A Place To) Hideaway
14) Hurting Each Other
15) If We Try (KC solo)
16) I Just Fall In Love Again
17) I Need To Be In Love
18) It's Going To Take Some Time
19) I Won't Last A Day Without You
20) Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
21) Little Altar Boy

Disc Two
1) Love Me For What I Am
2) Maybe It's You
3) Now
4) Only Yesterday
5) Rainy Days and Mondays
6) Road Ode
7) Solitaire
8) A Song For You
9) Superstar (all-time favorite)
10) This Masquerade
11) Those Good Old Dreams
12) Ticket To Ride (1973 version)
13) Time (RC solo)
14) Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
15) Two Lives
16) The Uninvited Guest
17) We've Only Just Begun
18) When It's Gone (It's Just Gone)
19) Yesterday Once More
20) You're The One
21) Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore

...>snip<... I think a standards/torch compilation is long overdue.To have "I Can Dream Can't I","Little Girl Blue","Don't Cry For Me Argentina","When I Fall In Love","Ordinary Fool" and all the other standard material on one package would be one gem of an album!K&R's original standard -style material:"Sometimes","Look To Your Dreams" and "Somebody's Been Lyin" would complement the album perfectly.

Mr J,

Did you ever complete your comp or the list of songs you wanted to use? I'd love to shirt-tail your idea for one of my Carpenter compilations. This would be a great project for Richard to compile with maybe a few instrumental interludes in the same vein as the Harry Nilsson oldies, "As Time Goes By." Original version title, "A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night." Though, I think maybe the American Songbooks trend has peaked with Rod Stewart going back to doing his pop rock type albums. One new one is Bette Midler with her oldies titled, "It's the Girls."

Randy M

I wasn't too big on what should have been on certain albums, and what should have been left off. I was always quite pleased with the way they were as originally released.
That is, not until I acquired all this information from this forum.
Now I have to agree on certain modifications; this is how I think I would have enjoyed these albums more. What if?

Horizon
Aurora
Only Yesterday
Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
Please Mr. Postman
I Can Dream, Can't I
Solitaire
Happy
(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You
Love Me For What I Am
Eventide

I could do without Desperado. The Eagles had the ultimate version, and Linda Ronstadt's was the best cover.
This could have been saved for later, possibly replacing
Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again on Interpretations.

Passage

B'Wanna She No Home
Sailing On The Tide
You're The One

All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
I Just Fall In Love Again
Sweet, Sweet Smile
Two Sides
Man Smart, Woman Smarter
Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

For the life of me, I can't figure out all the appeal for Don't Cry For Me Argentina.
I already had it by Olivia Newton-John, and it's not what I call a stand out song.
I had also heard that RC regretted doing this song. The 2 songs recorded during these sessions that
weren't released until after Karen's passing would have been more appealing.

There should have been a 1978 album, there were certainly enough songs recorded during this period
to bridge the gap between Passage and Made in America.

I wasn't too big on what should have been on certain albums, and what should have been left off. I was always quite pleased with the way they were as originally released.
That is, not until I acquired all this information from this forum.
Now I have to agree on certain modifications; this is how I think I would have enjoyed these albums more. What if?

Horizon
Aurora
Only Yesterday
Please Mr. Postman
I Can Dream, Can't I
Solitaire
Happy
(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You
Love Me For What I Am
Eventide

I could do without Desperado. The Eagles had the ultimate version, and Linda Ronstadt's was the best cover.
This could have been saved for later, possibly replacing
Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again on Interpretations.

Passage

B'Wanna She No Home
Sailing On The Tide
You're The One

Sweet, Sweet Smile
Two Sides
Man Smart, Woman Smarter
Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

For the life of me, I can't figure out all the appeal for Don't Cry For Me Argentina.
I already had it by Olivia Newton-John, and it's not what I call a stand out song.
I had also heard that RC regretted doing this song. The 2 songs recorded during these sessions that
weren't released until after Karen's passing would have been more appealing.

There should have been a 1978 album, there were certainly enough songs recorded during this period
to bridge the gap between Passage and Made in America.

Yeah, they planned to have one out in April in '79 for their 10th anniversary. In fact, A&M had enough material to fill an album. . .it wouldn't have been a very good album. . .but there were 8-10 songs they could have released while Richard was recouperating, and Karen was about to head to NY. How would it have done. . . .most likely abysmally.

Yeah, they planned to have one out in April in '79 for their 10th anniversary. In fact, A&M had enough material to fill an album. . .it wouldn't have been a very good album. . .but there were 8-10 songs they could have released while Richard was recouperating, and Karen was about to head to NY. How would it have done. . . .most likely abysmally.

People keep going on and on about a potential 1979 album based on what we now know they had recorded. It would have done abysmally...it would have been filled with old-fashioned sleeper tracks like 'Little Girl Blue', 'I Believe You' and 'When I Fall In Love'. Standards maybe, potential album material in 1979? Absolutely not. Juxtaposition these tracks with what Karen was about to embark on and that tells you how out of touch they were with the public consciousness by the end of the 70s.

Mr J,

Did you ever complete your comp or the list of songs you wanted to use? I'd love to shirt-tail your idea for one of my Carpenter compilations. This would be a great project for Richard to compile with maybe a few instrumental interludes in the same vein as the Harry Nilsson oldies, "As Time Goes By." Original version title, "A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night." Though, I think maybe the American Songbooks trend has peaked with Rod Stewart going back to doing his pop rock type albums. One new one is Bette Midler with her oldies titled, "It's the Girls."

Randy M
This was something that I thought A&M/UMG should've done-I've never actually made my own compilation.

I know that in previous posts I have talked about personal compilations that I have made for myself. As for the "official compilations", even though I have enjoyed them, I feel sometimes that they are not personal enough, or that they are too long. I've mentioned those that I have made, or that I would like to make. But I never really came out with my final completed "personal compilation" list. So here it is: (Love to hear some thoughts on them)

The first one I made was Make Your Own Kind Of Music
I have the track list in a previous post. This is a collection of songs that the Carpenters songs that they performed on their Summer of 1971 television series.
It only includes their commercially released songs and not the covers that they performed on that show. Even though I have seen their performances of these songs in a medley format on you tube, I wasn't satisfied with the quality of them to include them in my collection. Also, I included 2 additional songs in that collection that they didn't perform on that show (All Of My Life & Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing) just to fill the additional space on the CD. Plus, I wanted to have more representation from the Offering album. I like this compilation the best because it represents my favorite period of their career.

The second one is titled Performing Great Songs From The 60's
The track list : Help, Dancing In The Streets, I'll Never Fall In Love Again, Get Together, Hurting Each Other, There's A Kind Of Hush, California Dreamin', Nowhere Man, Baby It's You, Beechwood 4-5789, They Long To Be Close To You, Jimmy Mack, Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing, Breaking Up Is Hard To Do, Can't Buy Me Love, The End Of The World, Please Mr. Postman, Our Day Will Come, Reason To Believe, Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore, Bacharach/David Medley, Ticket To Ride.

Next up Greatest Hits Remixed
The most recent remixes to their greatest hits : (They Long To Be) Close To You, Solitaire, Touch Me When We're Dancing*, Superstar, Goodbye To Love, For All We Know, Top Of The World, It's Going To Take Some Time, I Need To Be In Love, Calling Occupants, Yesterday Once More, Only Yesterday, Ticket To Ride, I Won't Last A Day Without You, Rainy Days And Mondays, There's A Kind Of Hush, Sing, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song*, Please Mr. Postman, Hurting Each Other, We've Only Just Begun. (*Original album mix)

I could go on and on....and I will.
I could probably make 3 times as many personal compilations as original Carpenters studio albums.

I have my MIA session playlist. It goes for about an hour. I hope I have it "right". Lol

1. Those good old dreams
2. Strength of a woman
3. (Want you) Back in my life again
4. When you've got what it takes
5. Somebody's been lyin'
6. Touch me when we're dancing
7. Kiss me the way you did last night
8. When it's gone (it's just gone)
9. Beechwood
10. You're baby doesn't love you anymore
11. Because we are in love
12. At the end of a song
13. Prime time love
14. The uninvited guest
15. Make believe it's your first time
16. The rainbow connection

I have made several compilations of many different artists based on their chart positions on Billboard, sequencing them from their greatest chart success downward.
Here is the Billboard Greatest Hits compilation I made of the Carpenters.

1. (They Long To Be) Close To You
2. Top Of The World
3. Please Mr. Postman
4. We've Only Just Begun
5. Superstar
6. Rainy Days And Mondays
7. Hurting Each Other
8. Yesterday Once More
9. For All We Know
10. Sing
11. Only Yesterday
12. Goodbye To Love
13. I Won't Last A Day Without You
14. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
15. It's Going To Take Some Time
16. Touch Me When We're Dancing
17. Solitaire
18. I Need To Be In Love
19. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
20. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
21. Sweet, Sweet Smile
22. Ticket To Ride

I have made several compilations of many different artists based on their chart positions on Billboard, sequencing them from their greatest chart success downward.
Here is the Billboard Greatest Hits compilation I made of the Carpenters.

1. (They Long To Be) Close To You
2. Top Of The World
3. Please Mr. Postman
4. We've Only Just Begun
5. Superstar
6. Rainy Days And Mondays
7. Hurting Each Other
8. Yesterday Once More
9. For All We Know
10. Sing
11. Only Yesterday
12. Goodbye To Love
13. I Won't Last A Day Without You
14. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
15. It's Going To Take Some Time
16. Touch Me When We're Dancing
17. Solitaire
18. I Need To Be In Love
19. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
20. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
21. Sweet, Sweet Smile
22. Ticket To Ride

I don't see Goofus represented! Being sarcastic, of course.

Power Ballads

Pretty much the inventers of the power ballad frequently adopted by rock bands in the 80's & 90's.
This compilation is pretty much still in the works, but I generally chose songs which had a prominent guitar,
saxophone or horn section solo.

The list of songs I have so far are:

Goodbye To Love
Where Do I Go From Here?
I Won't Last A Day Without You
A Song For You
Only Yesterday
Love Me For What I Am
If We Try
Touch Me When We're Dancing

more to come...suggestions welcome!
Finally put the finishing touches on this one: Just a not of interest, not all these songs have big guitar solos, but the ones that don't either have a prominent electric guitar in the melody, or may contain a saxophone or horn section solo.

1. Goodbye To Love
2. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
3. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song*
4. You're Enough
5. I Just Fall In Love Again
6. Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
7. Only Yesterday (album version)*
8. Touch Me When We're Dancing
9. Where Do I Go From Here?
10. If We Try
11. I Won't Last A Day Without You**
12. Love Me For What I Am
13. (bonus) Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

The guitar works of Tony Peluso & Tim May
*These songs start slow and then rises in tempo.
**This song has no solo, but Tony Peluso's guitar work is prominent through its melody.

Here's another one I just completed. I call it:

Top of the World: Songs of Inspiration and Optimism
a collection of uplifting songs.
(I even made a pretty good CD sleeve for this one, which I'll share later)

1. Top Of The World
2. Those Good Old Dreams
3. Sweet Sweet Smile
4. Reason To Believe
5. I Just Fall In Love Again
6. Now
7. It's Going To Take Some Time
8. You're The One
9. Only Yesterday
10. When You've Got What It Takes
11. Don't Be Afraid
12. I Believe You
13. Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)
14. We've Only Just Begun
15. Sailing On The Tide
16. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
17. I Have You
18. Happy
19. You're Enough
20. Leave Yesterday Behind

And, now, just one more I've been trying to put together...
I want to make a compilation focusing on some of their most relaxing music,
something I can pop in the CD player when I go to bed.
I want to call it Crystal Lullaby

So far, I've thought of Crystal Lullaby, Ordinary Fool and Someday.
I'm sure I'll be able to come up with more, but I thought that any suggestions that may come from this thread would make this collection much more unique, while also making it somewhat a "Forum/Thread" family project. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

That's a good idea Scotty, I could use a new 'Going to sleep' album... Mine wouldn't be complete though without Goodnight, Eventide, I can dream can't I and... heck I was even thinking of Sleep well little children, but that's a bit of an odd one in the summer perhaps :D
Such a shame that they didn't record a full version of "A house is not a home", 'cause Karen sings that so beautifully, I would have added that one too...

Greg

And, now, just one more I've been trying to put together...
I want to make a compilation focusing on some of their most relaxing music,
something I can pop in the CD player when I go to bed.
I want to call it Crystal Lullaby...

I like your idea for this compilation, ScottyB! I would suggest the following additions:
  • Yesterday Once More (Reprise), for its ethereal sound
  • (A Place to) Hideaway
And these instrumentals...
  • Heather
  • Karen's Theme
  • Time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom