Please Mr. Postman “contagious”

CraigGA

In an effort not to resurrect an old thread, I listened to the Holland ‘76 concert today as I made ribs for the Fourth of July. In the Carpenters medley that year there was Please Mr. Postman creatively altered for a live presentation. It was just as contagious as the 45 rpm single when I first heard it in November 1974. Richard’s arrangement just put a slice of creativity in that arrangement that made it click in both settings, live and recorded as a single. Then add Karen’s vocals, who was almost born to sing oldies as well as ballads, and the song is just full of energy that bears repetitive listening. If you take the song apart, piece by piece, it is easy to dismiss the song as 60’s nostalgia. But when you put it all together with the guitar and saxophone voicing then add drums, bass, and then Karen in the background and lead vocals, the sing becomes something of its own as a deluxe cake from egg, flour, sugar and chocolate. The song writers need credit too, for they made a song that can be successful by a Motown group (the Marvelettes), a British group (the Beatles) and a soft pop group, the Carpenters. And the Carpenters version rivals the others. For a song about almost nothing meaningful it becomes a gem of a song that just can’t stop!

Craig

It is contagious this is another track that is pretty cool to hear from the Karaoke disc with a lot of Karen backing vocals intact. For some reason every time I hear this song I most always see the Disney video in my mind and how much fun Karen was having....Karen's voice and going to Disney World...life doesn't get much better than that.

Yep - I also picture K and R at Disneyland whenever I hear this song - Karen seems to have the biggest smile there, we all know what a big Disney fan she was, but I think maybe Rich was having flashbacks of working there with Mr. Guder. Speaking of that video I always wonder where all the crowds are - maybe it wasn't as crowded in the 70's. lol

Speaking of that video I always wonder where all the crowds are - maybe it wasn't as crowded in the 70's. lol

There was probably an element of clearing the crowds out of their path for a lot of the scenes, especially where they're walking around. You can see lots of people in the background when they're up in the air on the rides though :)

It is interesting to note that Richard Carpenter was not favorable to
the Postman Video--one which I feel captures the "contagiousness" of the song beautifully.
On that same note, Richard Carpenter was also unfavorable in his opinion of
the Video for I Need To Be In Love--another which I believe captures the mood
of its song beautifully. (Both opinions expressed in his commentary on the 40th DVD).

I'll go down--as always-- with the opinion that Please Mr. Postman is a brilliant
piece of pop ear-candy. I disagree with those (including Richard Carpenter)
who downplay the song in Carpenters' catalogue. Just because it is not
a ballad, such as Superstar, does not immediately relegate its stature to the downside.

Richard giving his take on the song.

19748325_10209729446535245_7065435471907177748_n.jpg

I love the song, especially the single version. Somehow to me, it just feels like it's got more raw energy compared to the album version. Karen's drumming is awesome. Her voice isn't too shabby either. :)

In retrospect, it is surprising to me that it reached #1. But hearing it more and more, Karen delivers, and a very nice video to go along with it. Karen, forever young at Disneyland, completely in her element. And that SMILE...:). The ultimate "girl next door".

Every time my mom hears the song nowadays, she comments that they need to write an updated sequel about getting an email letter. I've pointed out that Alan Jackson did a pseudo-sequel with www.memory. (It would be interesting to hear Richard's take on www.memory).

Back
Top Bottom