Please Mr. Postman - Question for the "Tekkie" Types

ringves

' Been listening to the Complete Singles collection again and I can really notice the difference between the single version of "PMP" compared to the Horizon version.

At different times, I have heard fans say that Richard "re-mixed" the single for inclusion on the album. Other fans have stated that he "re-mastered" the recording.

Technically, which is it? If I had to guess, I'd say he "re-mastered" it. But I could be wrong.

Perhaps some of you "tekkie" types would care to comment on this for those of us who are not experts in the field. Thanks !

Since the single and album were just a few months apart I would venture a guess that he remixed it. Remastering is usually done after a long time has passed and is mostly to take advantage new/improved technology that wasn't available at the time of the original recordings.

I tend to differentiate the two this way: A remix is designed to make a record sound different (either subtly or drastically) by either altering or replacing certain elements of the recording; a remaster is designed to leave the arrangement and performance alone, but use technology to hopefully bring out more nuances in the original performances and generally make the record sound better.

Last edited:
With "Please Mr. Postman", the single was made with pinched sonics to sound like an old 45 on a transistor radio. With the really improved sonics on the HORIZON album, Richard didn't want a pinched track in the middle of all of the other great sounding tracks. I'm not sure if it's technically a remix - to me, it's always sounded like just improved EQ.

Harry

Most likely the song was mixed down like normal, and the EQ was altered during the mastering process. A lot of the singles had their own separate mixes to either boost the sonics or readjust placement of certain instrumentation and/or vocals to compliment AM radio. Usually when something is intentionally altered to create either a 'telephone' effect or in this case an old transistor radio, it makes most sense to mix the song, then notch out the necessary frequencies on the post end during mastering to create the effect.

Horizon was done (at least parts of it) on the old Compumix recording and mixing console that A&M purchased for studio D in '74. I'd have to listen to both the single and album versions to gauge the placement of everything to compare whether or not they originated from the same mix, just different mastering. Hope that made sense!

Mastering the single could also include using a limiter, in addition to tweaked EQ. Makes it more punchy, especially on radio.

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

It sounds like most of you are of the view that the 2 versions were simply mastered in different ways from the same mix. Have I got that right?

Now that I listen just a little closer, you can hear instruments moved around in the stereo from the album mix to the single mix, so I guess it's really a case of both a remix and a remaster.

Thanks for the analysis, Harry.

I wouldn't have guessed a re-mix, too. I'll have to listen more closely to see if I can identify the changes in the mix that you refer to.

The Liner Notes as written in From The Top,
state:
"...released in Fall 1974...Please Mr. Postman...remixed in 1975 for Horizon..."

I have an in-depth interview with Richard from 1975 about the technological side of the recording of 'Horizon'. I'll post a link sometime soon, (unless the interview has already appeared).

When I first bought the 'Horizon' album in the mid-70s, the first thing I noticed was that the drum sound on 'Please Mr. Postman' was so different between LP version and single. I thought that Karen's drum track had been re-recorded on that song for the album.

My favorite is the remix in 1991. Harry has them all in the Carpenters Complete Recording Resource. It took a while to finish this post because I get mesmerized each time I look at this site for it is amazing! There is so much detailed information it is unbelievable. The promotional ads for the single pictured in the Resource has a great picture of Karen.
Here is the link for Postman:
Please Mr. Postman

Back
Top Bottom