"Pomba Gira" covered! (sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Was listening to Fine Tuning (an XM channel) just now and heard a song called "Maracatu" by Kodo. They are a Japanese vocal/percussion group. The song is from a new album called MONDO HEAD. Excellent world-music sound, but about halfway thru the song I thought I heard something familiar...sure enough it was "Pomba Gira," one of the tracks from Sergio's excellent PRIMAL ROOTS album.

Never thought I would hear this song covered by anyone, much less a Japanese group! (Then again, Sergio's music IS very popular in Japan.) The Kodo album is produced by Mickey "Grateful Dead" Hart.

For more info check this link:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=Anu5h8qmpbtz4

Mike Blakesley said:
Excellent world-music sound, but about halfway thru the song I thought I heard something familiar...sure enough it was "Pomba Gira," one of the tracks from Sergio's excellent PRIMAL ROOTS album.

For some reason I'm reminded of the Japanese salsa band Orquesta de la Luz, which played authentic salsa so good they could pass themselves off as Afro-Cubans. :wink:

Mike Blakesley said:
Never thought I would hear this song covered by anyone, much less a Japanese group! (Then again, Sergio's music IS very popular in Japan.) The Kodo album is produced by Mickey "Grateful Dead" Hart.

Can't say that's a total surprise: in the early days of the CD, I bought the Dafos album, which was originally one of those direct-to-disc audiophile recordings...pretty much all percussion and chanting. Mickey Hart plays some sort of large percussion contraption (I want to say "The Monster"), and I believe that Flora Purim and Airto Moreira also played on this one as well, which is the Brazilian connection in this case.

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom