RARE FIND-"CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU" RERECORDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr J.

I came across a copy of the READERS DIGEST-GREATEST HITS AND FINEST PERFORMANCES,and I was really impressed with the 1978 rerecording of "Can't Smile without You"-which was originally made for the British SINGLES '74-'78 album.Karen's vocals are incredible,and this redone version is a little jazzier than the original-including an improvised flugelhorn solo.(in addition to the horn section).The mastering on this Readers Digest set is excellent.Also,there's a few other "rare finds" here,including a remix of "Don't cry for me Argentina"(definite improvement over the original),a live Bacharach/David medley from 1974,and (if your interested) the oldies medley without the DJ.3 Discs-about 70 tracks.Good set.Recommended!

mr J. said:
I came across a copy of the READERS DIGEST-GREATEST HITS AND FINEST PERFORMANCES,

Good find -- a highly recommended set for Carpenters completists.

mr J. said:
and I was really impressed with the 1978 rerecording of "Can't Smile without You"-which was originally made for the British SINGLES '74-'78 album.Karen's vocals are incredible,and this redone version is a little jazzier than the original-including an improvised flugelhorn solo.(in addition to the horn section).

Actually, that re-recorded version of "Can't Smile Without You" was originally done that way for the single, a b-side to "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft." As a single, it was then placed in the SINGLES '74-'78 album in both the UK and Canada.

mr J. said:
The mastering on this Readers Digest set is excellent.Also,there's a few other "rare finds" here,including a remix of "Don't cry for me Argentina"(definite improvement over the original),a live Bacharach/David medley from 1974,and (if your interested) the oldies medley without the DJ.3 Discs-about 70 tracks.Good set.Recommended!

One of the good things about this set is the removal of Tony Peloso's DJ from the tunes in the oldies medley. Sadly though, "Da Doo Ron Ron" isn't there.

Harry
...readying for D-Day with a computer system changeover at work, online... :shock:

Is this the track where Karen starts with

Ah ah ah ah, you know I can't.......

I love that version and cannot find it on any of my CDs

If it the same track, it appeared on a compilation called "Reflections" some time ago too. Wish I still had a copy :cry:

^^^ Yep, that's the one. The first album that the re-recorded version appeared on was the SINGLES '74-'78 collection in the UK and Canada, and as you mentioned, it found its way to the 1995 REFLECTIONS CD (mine's from Australia), but I think there's another release of that one (Netherlands?) called SWEET SWEET SMILE.

In 1997, Richard remixed the re-record for the READERS DIGEST set, so the one that appears there is a remix of the original single track. That version then also appeared on the Japanese release in 2000 called BY REQUEST.

Harry
NP: "Can't Smile Without You" - Carpenters

Thanks, Harry, for the information on this collection. I just ordered it. I never realized this was available. Thanks to the forum, I've been introduced to a lot of different and very interesting things!

Marilyn
online, and hoping D-day turns out to be a piece of cake for Harry :D

I do not care for the Reader's Digest mix for it does not sound good on Dolby enhanced systems and the mix during the oldies section with the midi appeal in the orchestration is somewhat tacky from such a successful artist. The live Bacharach/David medley from 1974 is a jewel to have on CD. I understand it is on the Anthology CD, which I have always wanted to own.

I have always liked this version of I Can't Smile Without You, and first heard it on the flip side of Calling Occupants, as Harry mentioned.

Magical Memories of The Carpenters, the 5CD Readers Digest box set has the Bacharach/David Medley

I like the way each section is given a title too but alas, it does not include Can't Smile Without You on this version

Have found a copy of Reflections in town though (Different from teh one I used to own) so will probably buy it this week when I go out to buy the new
"As Time Goes By" at £16.99
Ouch !!!

The remix of CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU is a little more catchy than the original version of the HUSH album.

Apart from this, I prefer the original version. Listen to the remix, and you will hear Karen's and Richard's voices scrambled together, so you hardly hear Karen's lead vocal, especially at the end of the song. :confused:

By any chance is this the same "Can't Smile Without You" that was a hit for Barry Manilow? I'm not much of a Carpenters fan, so I'm not familiar with their version.

Capt. Bacardi

Yep, same song as Manilow's, but with some lyric changes here and there, and depending on which version you listen to.

Thanks for the well-wishes Marilyn, the day was 'bumpy' but it's all over now, and in retrospect could have been much worse.

Harry
...heading home late, but avoiding some of the horrendous post-snowstorm traffic, online...

There are three songs, both Carpenters and Manilow recorded:

TRYING TO GET THE FEELING (Manilow album of the same name, 1975; Carpenters INTERPRETATIONS, 1994, recorded 1975)

CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU (Manilow EVEN NOW, 1978; Carpenters A KIND OF HUSH, 1976)

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE? (Manilow EVEN NOW, 1978; Carpenters LOVELINES, 1989, recorded 1978)

EVEN NOW album was recorded at A&M Studios.

The difference in Manilow's and Carpenters' interpretations is, that Manilow sings those songs as power ballads. Carpenters interpretate those songs more slow and smooth.

I like all those different versions, except Manilow's interpretation of WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?, because he sings it without soul, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom