Re-Issue of Julius Wechter's "New Deal" CD!

Would you buy a re-issued "New Deal" CD?

• Yes

Votes: 32 97.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
New+Deal+1.jpg

New+Deal+2.jpg

Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimbas' New Deal CD was issued by Bay Cities in 1990 and has long been out of print. This is a really great CD that should not only appeal to Julius Wechter fans, but anyone who likes jazz!

I have been in touch with Bruce Kimmel, producer of the CD and there might be a desire on his part to re-issue the CD if there is enough interest from Julius' fans. We are looking at mail order availability via Bruce's company and other internet sources, so this would be very convenient for the fans.

He has indicated that he would want to create a new cover, booklet and graphics for the release and I have asked if there are any other tracks that were left out that could now be added. If we show sufficient support for this project, it can be released at the start of the new year. For those of you who truly love the music of Julius Wechter and miss his amazing talent, this is your opportunity to tell a record company what you want. Anyone who is registered at A&M Corner can vote in this poll and post a message. Anyone else can contact me at my e-mail address below to express your interest in this re-issue.

Thanks,

I already have the original, but with new bonus tracks I would definitely buy it. I would probably buy it anyway, since I'm sure it would (hopefully) have new liner notes and such.

I think the CD should be re-credited to "Julius Wechter and the Baja Marimbas." Name recognition might help somewhat.

Maybe this project would spur interest in the older Baja material - and maybe Bruce could look into licensing that too, providing this project is a success.

This album is a wonderful, smart and sassy, powerful musical experience. I would buy a reissue under any circumstances, even though I already own an original copy. Bonus tracks and a booklet would just be icing on the marimba. I would buy ANY new Julius Wechter/BMB CD even if it came out in a plain brown wrapper!

Mike A.

Count me in! In fact I'll buy two!

Steve, thank you for your continuing efforts to get Julius's work reissued.

Mike

I missed a chance to buy this at the old Rose Records on Wabash Avenue in downtown Chicago and I've been kicking myself ever since. You bet I'll buy it and I know a few others who would also.

I've never heard it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'm still missing this one and the Bell album I think.

Harry

I never saw this at the CD store but I would like to get it when it comes out!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I'm very happy to report that a demo tape has been found by Julius' previous performing group, Baja '88, that contains Jobim's Triste and Julius' own Fresh Air, as well as earlier versions of a couple of the tracks that were included in the New Deal CD. Usage of same as bonus tracks is being explored.

Steve Sidoruk said:
I'm very happy to report that a demo tape has been found by Julius' previous performing group, Baja '88, that contains Jobim's Triste and Julius' own Fresh Air, as well as earlier versions of a couple of the tracks that were included in the New Deal CD. Usage of same as bonus tracks is being explored.

Baja '88??? I've never heard of this particular Wechter assembly. Did Julius ever release anything under that name? This is getting very, very exciting! Bring it on!

Mike A.

A reissue with bonus tracks is a fine idea. I'd like to see a reunion of Baja players appearing at jazz venues under the capable direction of Mr. Greenberg too -- if that's not too much to ask.

JB

I'd sure be interested. I bought multiple copies of all of the HA & TB Signature Series, and I've still got my money waiting as soon as they continue the catalog :wink:

Maybe I'll just spend it on Julius instead. I'm not familiar with this LP, but as much as I've enjoyed the BMB, I'm sure I'd love it.

Baja+_88+Review.jpg

Note: I'm guessing that the reviewer likely failed to catch a joke, referring to Fresh Air as "Stale Air."

Steve,

Thanks so very much for sharing the info on possible re-issue of Julius's New Deal album with the Baja Marimbas. I have loved Julius and his music from the very beginning. I'm prejudice I'm sure but I've never heard anyone who can touch Julius's masterful playing and style. Much like Herb, you hear just a few notes and you know it's Julius Wechter. We miss him dearly.

Please give Bruce Kimmel and Cissy Wechter our best.

Tom
:)

I'd buy this and, of course, play it on the radio like a shot! Bruce Kimmel is right, of course, it needs re-packaging. The original sleeve looks like something a small label's in-house people cobbled together in the 1950s. (I once visited the studio of a small Scottish label and was puzzled by the vast pile of old chocolate boxes in the corner. Almost unbelieveably, they stole pretty pictures from the front of chocolate boxes, stuck some rather wobbly lettering on the front and - bingo! - record sleeve artwork. )

The problem with a new inlay card design is that the obvious starting point is the usual group photo with the 'rogue' member's back turned to the camera. Perhaps Cissy or the boys have some hitherto unused such photos? Yes, I know they wouldn't necessarily match the actual lineup on the disc, but then they often didn't. (Remember Mrs Herb Alpert with a mustache?)

I also concur that the title should include Julius' name. Heaven knows why it wasn't there i8n the first place.

Hope this all happens - Julius deserves to have his music available to a new generation.

Here is the latest word: New Deal will be re-issued in late January. Not only will it have a new package, but a new title as well. The best news is that master tapes have been found and there will be four (4) bonus tracks! I will post further info as I have it.

Steve Sidoruk said:
Here is the latest word: New Deal will be re-issued in late January. Not only will it have a new package, but a new title as well. The best news is that master tapes have been found and there will be four (4) bonus tracks! I will post further info as I have it.

Hallelujah!

Thanks for the great news, Steve.

Regards,
Mike

Steve:

Thanks for the good work - I'll sure buy a more than just a copy or two. Sounds like we're ready - bring it on.

Take care...

George

This is great news. Although I have an original copy of "New Deal," I will be first in line for the new version with the bonus tracks. I have my favorites from the CD, but I am sure there is always room for new "favorites." Thanks for all the updates, Steve.
DJ

I will definitely buy it. It is a very nice collection of songs. By the way, I'm one of the fortunate ones that was given a cassette by Mr. Wechter himself. :tongue: later......j

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom