🎄 Holidays! RE: TJB & Chestnuts Roasting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most of you I've heard "Chestnuts Roasting..." by dozens of artists. But there is a reason why the Herb Alpert version might stand out more than all the others. From an arranger's point of view it was basically a simple arrangement but there is one thing different I've never heard anyone else do. They go up a half step on each new verse. Check it out... Peace on earth amigos...Jay

That's a Herb Alpert trademark...and one of my favorite things[pun intended]. I try to modulate as much as I can when I play...I have a version of "WE THREE KINGS" that I use a swing rhythm and a jazz guitar patch on that modulates up half a step each verse, with the 4th verse in the original key...it's a real crowd -pleaser, sort of a Peggy Lee/"FEVER" meets the Broadman Hymnal, but it works...and it was heavily influenced by Herb Alpert's version of The Work Song, another tune where modulation is used to great effect.

My favorite Herb Alpert modulation would have to be "SOUTH OF THE BORDER"...it comes at a place where you wouldn't expect it, and it really adds to the excitement. I also really dig the modulation on the last verse of "3 O'CLOCK JUMP"...it really makes the song.

Dan

I'm thinking that Genesis may have done this on a few of their songs...more likely in the pre-Abacab days, but the last verse of their #1 hit "Invisible Touch" modulates up to the key of "G" from "F". Even modulating to a different key (not necessarily up or down) makes the song different, like "Robbery, Assault & Battery", which drops down to "A" from "C" (during the 'done me wrong/same old song' section).

Another alleged excitement builder (musicians debate it somewhat) is an increase in tempo as the song progresses. Not huge, but noticeable if you tried to match the beats of the beginning of the song with the end.

Lest we forget "Mame", "Taste Of Honey", "The Happening", "Bittersweet Samba", "Third Man Theme" and of course "Brasilia" just to name a few evergreens.

David,
finding very little time to post these days

thetijuanataxi said:
Lest we forget "Mame", "Taste Of Honey", "The Happening", "Bittersweet Samba", "Third Man Theme" and of course "Brasilia" just to name a few evergreens.

David,
finding very little time to post these days

...y SALUD, AMOR, Y DINERO, tambien... :)

Dan, wishing everyone mas de salud, amor y dinero en el ano nuevo...how come there's no tilde on this keyboard? :mad:

Got Windows? Go to start / run and type "charmap". Go crazy! :santa:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom