Rebound "Ticket To Ride" CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Anyone compare this to the Remastered Classics? Would I gain anything by ditching the Rebound in favor of the newer one?

I think the cd's you speak of are the basic re-issues. The Remastered Classics are in a class by themselves. Although, the Ticket to Ride remaster does not have the vast difference of clarity and mixing that is heard in Close to You, A Song For You, Now and Then, Singles '69-'73, and Horizon.

The above four remaster classics are the best and to me a 'must have' in a Carpenters collection.

Not only are these nice for clarity, but it avoids the bad LP to Digital transfer originally heard in the days of early CD's of a harsh treble emphasis. So, in other words, the warmth heard in the original LP's has returned.

Craig

I made a compilation of favorites up through Now & Then, and "Don't Be Afraid" sonically doesn't quite fit in with all the others, which I now own only in the Remastered Classics versions. I'll probably try to find a used Ticket and see if I can get rid of the Rebound version.

As Craig said, there isn't a great deal of improvement in the Remastered Classic of TICKET TO RIDE. As I recall, when doing the comparison, a few changes in the stereo stage were about all I noticed. TICKET TO RIDE is a rather harsh sounding album. It was always that way, even on original vinyl as OFFERING.

While I don't have the Rebound issue, I assume it's pretty much the same as the old A&M issue as far as sound goes.

Harry
...worn out from digging out, online...

Harry said:
While I don't have the Rebound issue, I assume it's pretty much the same as the old A&M issue as far as sound goes.

Most likely. Rebound were just throwing existing masters onto CD. I don't think I paid more than $4 for any of my Rebound titles. There is a slight difference in volume. I could compensate for it, but I agree it's also a harsh-sounding album. A very slight EQ cut at just the right place would tame it quite a bit.

...worn out from digging out, online...

Snowblower?

I think we're up to an inch. We're catching the northwestern tail of that storm.

Rudy said:
Rebound were just throwing existing masters onto CD. I don't think I paid more than $4 for any of my Rebound titles. There is a slight difference in volume.

Not just volume, but distortion. The whole album has a gritty feel whenever it gets loud. Like they ran the levels too far for the tape being used.

Rudy said:
I could compensate for it, but I agree it's also a harsh-sounding album. A very slight EQ cut at just the right place would tame it quite a bit.

It might help the overall harshness, but the distortion will always be there.
Sadly, "Don't Be Afraid" isn't on any of the scads of compilation albums out there. The song appears on FROM THE TOP/ESSENTIALS, but it's the earlier "demo" version.

Rudy said:
Snowblower?

I think we're up to an inch. We're catching the northwestern tail of that storm.

Yes, we used the snowblower, but it needed a bit of human assistance. Down at the bottom of our driveway, where it meets the street and the streets department plows us in, the height of the snow was about 30 inches. Our little Toro was no match for that, so we had to loosen it up with old-fashioned shovels and spread it around to lower depths and THEN blow it away. Quite a workout -- took three sessions just to complete the driveway. Sidewalks? See us in the spring -- we might have one for you then!

Harry
...hoping to get to work sometime tomorrow, online...

That first album has a "demo" quality to it anyway. Anyone know where it was recorded? The EQ would at least get rid of a bit of that hardness. It just sounded like it was recorded on older, not-quite-prime equipment. The earlier Carps albums are a bit noisy, but at least they're smoother.

When we had the 15" here on 1/2/1999, it took me awhile to push the Honda through the snow. Over 90 minutes to do the driveway, which is only two cars wide and just over two car lengths long. The snow removal service left it piled up--it was almost hip-high down at the street. I had to do the same thing--knock down boulders of snow, then blow 'em aside. Corner lot here, so I had a lot of sidewak to clear. That took just under an hour, and wasn't all that bad actually.

We're almost at the 2" mark here. Light snow all day long. Looks very light and fluffy. I'll probably run around with the snowblower later and clean it up. Expecting mid 40's by the end of the week, so it'll melt off quickly enough.

I might be 'technically challenged' but thus far I've had no problem with any Rebound product as far as sound quality goes. They're a great bargain, and here's what I have so far:

Carpenters TICKET
Humble Pie ROCK ON
Procol Harum SHINE ON BRIGHTLY
Brasil '66 FOOL ON THE HILL
Al Green HE IS THE LIGHT
Burt Bacharach REACH OUT
Wes Montgomery DOWN HERE ON THE GROUND
Hank Williams Sr/Jr BACK TO BACK HITS (Rebound/Mercury)

I have quite a few of the disco series on Rebound (it was in nine volumes--I have most of them), and they're decent. Bacharach's disc sounds pretty good. The only real stinker is Fool On The Hill: it has been so heavily processed with noise reduction that it sucks the life out of it. I have a feeling, though, that the original A&M CD that appeared in the mid-late 80's had the same processing. It all depends on what master the Rebound folks used to master the CDs with.

Having top quality recordings is important to me. It brings the recording to a whole different level and perspective, as if hearing it for the first time.

The same holds true when searching for classical music. If you buy a record made for budget pricing....you get a bland orchestra, bland recording, and no musical nuance and most often, no intrepratation of what was inside the composer. When you buy the opposite at three or four times the price....it is like hearing it for the first time.

Sometimes, budget recordings are what make people dislike the music, because the musical quality and magic is never heard.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom