Reissues Promo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Just saw a promo site featuring the upcoming reissues by Herb. Interesting to see in the photo that Anything Goes has the original promo cover instead of the actual release photo.

Herb Alpert Catalog Reissue Planned - Best Classic Bands »

Herb-Alpert-Catalog_Image_2.jpg

"...with well over 02 million albums sold worldwide" is obviously a mistake. Maybe someone should send a comment about that.

I know it's seasonal, but the Christmas Album isn't listed here. Yet I have the new 180g vinyl and will be getting the high-res digital next month (when I will probably complete the set).

Has it ever been revealed why the few missing albums were picked to be ... missing? I mean, I can't imaging Midnight Sun is going to be any better a seller than Wild Romance would have been. I'm just so glad to finally have official CD issues of Warm, The Brass Are Comin' and Summertime.

It probably had to do with how many copies originally sold (which would work like an indicator of popularity). I don't keep up on chart action, but Midnight Sun likely could have crossed over and picked up some sales on the jazz side back when it was first released.

Midnight Sun did well on the jazz charts and got quite a bit of critical acclaim and airplay. It was also the last A&M album Herb did. And let's face it, Wild Romance was not that good of an album overall. I'm more surprised that Bullish and the first Herb/Hugh album didn't make it. But look at the bright side - there's 24 albums being reissued, some for the first time on CD and hi-res downloads. And since these are supposedly being marketed for a younger crowd rather than we collectors, it's a pretty solid offering to get these people interested in Herb's music.

How strange it looks to see RISE with an ochre label!
The Rise album when originally released had a white label on vinyl, with the A&M kind of a half oval. So that picture is inaccurate. The Anything Goes picture, like someone noted, is not the actual album cover.

Disaapointed not to see Just You & Me, the original Herb & Hugh, and Bullish released on cd or digital remaster. I own the cd of the original Herb & Hugh and of Bullish, though.

I debate back n forth on whether to get these remasters, but if they are even half as good as the remaster of The Main Event Live album with Herb and Hugh, I bet they will sound good. I might get Midnight Sun or Wild Romance, as they were not fully recorded digitally, if I recall correctly.

Any idea when these and the new EP will be listed on amazon?

The Rise album when originally released had a white label on vinyl, with the A&M kind of a half oval. So that picture is inaccurate.

Well they're not going for label accuracy on the newer records because it's impossible due to the fact that the major "look" of those white/silver labels was a stylized A&M that wrapped around the label's edges. So since Herb doesn't own the A&M Records name anymore they can't use that style of label. The ochre color, on the other hand, is not copyrighted so they can use it.

An interesting factoid though is that if you look carefully at the cover of RISE, you can see some of the stylized silver/white/tan labels on the flying records on the wall!

The Rise album when originally released had a white label on vinyl, with the A&M kind of a half oval. So that picture is inaccurate. The Anything Goes picture, like someone noted, is not the actual album cover.

Disaapointed not to see Just You & Me, the original Herb & Hugh, and Bullish released on cd or digital remaster. I own the cd of the original Herb & Hugh and of Bullish, though.

I debate back n forth on whether to get these remasters, but if they are even half as good as the remaster of The Main Event Live album with Herb and Hugh, I bet they will sound good. I might get Midnight Sun or Wild Romance, as they were not fully recorded digitally, if I recall correctly.

Any idea when these and the new EP will be listed on amazon?

We know that the audio is just fantastic, based on the HD Tracks that have been made available. Since starting from nothing last August, Art Director Brian Porizek has done a great job designing the "Herb Alpert Presents" re-issues artwork and he is still at it. Obviously, any A&M references needed to be removed, including logos, catalog numbers and addresses. Some of the new TJB Vinyl back covers continue the earlier tradition of : "Other Records That You Will Enjoy" located at the bottom with several of the re-issue covers included. New labels had to be designed for vinyl and CD. And square format album covers had to be re-formatted for rectangular CD Digipaks, which also required a great deal of effort.

No date yet on when the various dealers will commence order-taking on-line, however with instant transmission of the graphics & info for each release, it could occur anytime soon.

"...with well over 02 million albums sold worldwide" is obviously a mistake. Maybe someone should send a comment about that.

I have finally been able to make contact with someone at Best Classic Bands and they have corrected their article.

An interesting factoid though is that if you look carefully at the cover of RISE, you can see some of the stylized silver/white/tan labels on the flying records on the wall!
Interesting for sure! I never noticed that before. I wonder if the powers-that-be noticed that and took that out. I see it's still visible in the promotional picture.

So far as i see it everything in the promo pic looks great. I am truly looking forward to finally getting first time CD releases of Warm. The Brass are Comin etc. as well as a couple that i missed out on the first time such as Magic Man. & Tijuana Brass volume 2. That came out on cd only once on A&M. But at the time i was unaware they were even availible on CD

I am so looking forward to these re-issues, I already have the Christmas album and Whipped cream vinyl re-issues and will be buying the other 4 albums on vinyl too - plus all of the TJB CD's - what the heck, I might treat myself and buy the whole set, it's been a long wait ! I wonder when they will appear on Amazon? Hopefully in the next 4 weeks. Particularly looking forward to owning " Warm " and " The brass are comin " ( and Summertime too ! )

Also more likely Target and Walmart, as they are about the largest retailers around. In fact, you might even see the new T-shirts out there, too.

How peculiar - I can't find Lonely Bull on U.S Amazon ( or Ninth or Sounds like ), but if I click your link Rudy it is there! The pre-order CD's are much cheaper in the U.S compared to Amazon UK - £14.99 over here. Does Amazon take your money now or when the CD's are released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom