Reminder: BBC Jazz House interview tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listened to the show. Nice job as always Tony.

I was surprised that there was a new song called "Indian Nation" that Stephen Duffy said was on the Come Fly With Me album, but it's not on my copy. I checked some CDs from the UK and Japan and none of those had this track listed. Any info about this track?

Reminder: this is available for streaming for another 29 days from the BBC site Tony listed above.

That interview was interesting. I feel like I've heard it before, in some other interview, but I can no longer remember which one: Miles Davis once asked Alpert to do an album with him, but Alpert didn’t have the confidence to do it. I'm very curious to know when that happened.

(I mean... he performed with Hugh Masekela, and LOUIS ARMSTRONG, for goodness' sake!)

Last edited:
I remember Miles in an interview just before he died (that was 1991) saying how frustrated he was that his music wasn't being played on black radio stations, and how some "white folks" got more airplay on these stations than him. This was around 89 or 90. I'm pretty sure that when Miles asked Herb to do an album together it was for Herb to produce the album, not play on it. Miles was not one to share the spotlight with another trumpeter. And he knew that other jazz artists that Herb produced sold a few more copies than usual. But Miles was a difficult person to deal with. Teo Macero had nothing but headaches with Miles, but those albums became classics. Remember, Herb originally didn't want to record Stan Getz. either, since Getz had a horrible reputation of being belligerent with people. But he convinced Herb that he had cleaned up his act, was going through AA and all those steps, so Herb took a chance. I doubt it would've gone so smoothly with Miles.

Thanks for the nice words, Bill. "Indian Nation" hasn't been released at this time - Stephen was wrong.

In that interview I posted the other day, Herb mentions a new Bacharach tune that was going to be on the "next album", and that interview was early 2015, yet there are no Bacharach tunes on COME FLY WITH ME.

Perhaps he's saving it for the NEXT album...

Harry

I remember Miles in an interview just before he died (that was 1991) saying how frustrated he was that his music wasn't being played on black radio stations, and how some "white folks" got more airplay on these stations than him. This was around 89 or 90. I'm pretty sure that when Miles asked Herb to do an album together it was for Herb to produce the album, not play on it. Miles was not one to share the spotlight with another trumpeter. And he knew that other jazz artists that Herb produced sold a few more copies than usual. But Miles was a difficult person to deal with. Teo Macero had nothing but headaches with Miles, but those albums became classics. Remember, Herb originally didn't want to record Stan Getz. either, since Getz had a horrible reputation of being belligerent with people. But he convinced Herb that he had cleaned up his act, was going through AA and all those steps, so Herb took a chance. I doubt it would've gone so smoothly with Miles.
Whoa. That's not as rosy a picture as I might have hoped.

Thanks for the reply, especially for the year estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom