Revisited: A Fresh Look at Close to You

^^Mary Beth, I believe I have a love/hate relationship with the song, Mr. Guder.
It seems so sophomoric (lyrically) compared to much of the Close To You album.
And, yet, I do discern sparks of ingenuity: the harmonies, especially.
Thus, my use of the term 'horrid,' might be over-doing it, but it is a song I routinely skip.
It has no business appearing on the Gold compilation, but, there it is !
I feel it has been over-sold as a money-maker for the composer !
I love the song Mr Guder. I realize that it is definitely one of those love/hate kind of songs. I actually like the recording of it on Close To You. The harmonies and the change-ups in the way the song flows. Especially I love when the duo includes it in their "live" performances early in their career. Karen on drums and singing with such "animation"; her facial expressions are priceless!

I think Mr. Guider is a highlight of Close To You. I'll Never Fall In Love Again is another. Crescent Noon is a choral masterpiece. Another Song with the Handel like intro dramatic harmony with an end of the world type drum solo is amazing. The complete first side is a work of art. Again, the originals on this project are preferred for me. It is a first one of a kind staple to the Carpemters sound! It really is hard to beat as a Carpenters band. Horizon highlights Karen, almost as a solo artist type project as she was at her best vocally here and the songs were built around her, and A Song For You adds the quintessential Carpenters mark on contemporary pop music, but Close To You was the first of the best. If Horizon came in '74 and Passage in '75, with two more songs each, their influence on pop music would have remained stronger in my perspective. They just toured so much making the focus a greatest hits package front and center. But, who could complain with platinum albums on the wall. In the end, it all good! Look what Richard has given us over the years. I still keep hoping for just a few more.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom