Revisiting REWHIPPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Over the last week or so, I've dug out the REWHIPPED version of WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS, giving it several spins. It really is a fun album, with Herb's new parts shining along with the older "rewhipped" Tijuana Brass recordings. My compliments to those who so excellently re-imagined the iconic '60s album.

I still prefer the advance CD version of "Bittersweet Samba" to the one on the released disc.

Harry
NP: WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS REWHIPPED

This morning I decided to again revisit REWHIPPED. It's been awhile - this old thread is nine years old! This time I'm playing the album in the old order of the original album and I think I like it that way. It's easy enough to do with CD programmability or playlists. I still enjoy hearing Herb's updates in new solos on the old songs.

It looks like the REWHIPPED CD is no longer being offered for sale as new. It's still around on the marketplace and of course lossy mp3s are still available. My gut feeling is that this one will fade into obscurity someday.

I revisit this Rewhipped cd often and i too enjoy the newer solos and for almost a decade i used the rewhipped "Lollipops and Roses" as a closing theme for my radio shows. I had to special order the cd because it was not readily availiable in any of our local stores like all the other new releases. And i think this album is destined to join the list of the most obscure and very rare "Alpert Artifacts"

I put it onto my iPod, so the tunes occasionally will surface when I'm in "shuffle" mode. Since the album is sort of an oddity in Herb's catalog, the songs don't lend themselves to compilations much, but I always enjoy the tunes. I don't think I've heard the advance "Bittersweet Samba" mentioned above but the one on the released CD is my favorite track on the album. (And it's one of my faves on the original WC album as well.)

There's only a few songs worth listening to for me on this album - "Whipped Cream", "Lollipops & Roses" and "Butterball". Sometimes I can tolerate "El Garbanzo" but the rest of the album is rather pointless.

The "new car smell" wore off. :D

I can't say I listen to it much myself, but don't mind the occasional spin every once in a while.

It would be interesting to hear what some of today's remixers would do with some of Herb's classic tunes, TJB or solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom