1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Richard and John Interview

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by NowhereMan, Feb 15, 2017.

1. By many today (who maybe don't have great knowledge of their catalogue) they are still considered a strictly easy listening, or more modernly called AC. I know that they always charted on the AC charts and played on their stations, as they were always a softer sound, but they began becoming less "pop" in 1976. The elevator sound took over around this time, so does this mean they got even more play on these kinds of stations? AC music now and I assume then is thought of as less then or not as important creatively as regular pop, but I'll be damned if even this more Muzak-y sound isn't intricately arranged. That's why it was always more than easy listening, even on mellow albums like AKOH there's more going on than just mere lush sounds.

2. Sheena

Sheena Member

Really want to see the one from 2009 called Songs Special only seen snippets of it, features people never before seen on camera interviewed.

3. CraigGA

CraigGA Active Member

When Karen sang this song on the Bruce Forseyth Show it was a much simpler and intimate arrangement, and without a choral sound. If the single had more simplicity I think it would have placed better. The songs from the first 4 and even Horizon had just the right amount of instruments and from then on more songs became like orchestral mini pieces with Karen's voice carefully placed on top. If the song I Can't Make Music had more instruments and a choral backdrop it would have felt less emotional, as with Sometimes. One Love is nice for the overdubs of Karen and Richard. And as beautiful as INTBIL is - its creation has moved itself from pop radio. As simpler single arrangement would have promoted Karen better in Top 40. And, if it was released earlier, before the single recipe took hold, it would have charted higher too. And, it was almost a torch song, almost a sing along, but the Bruce Forsyth showing of Karen singing personal reflection is what was missing from the perfectly crafted single that gave it the torch sing-a-long. I was 15 in 1976 and I knew something was not quite there, it did not feel as gripping, and I think I am as close to a loyal fan as there can be. Sometimes I think all of this overthinking is hogwash and that their popularity in general was fixed in the first half of the decade but their talent and loyal fan base carried them. All in all, I was shocked that it did not penetrate the top 20. It felt like I was stabbed by a knife and I had to redefine quality from popularity.

Craig