Richard Pryor - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Very sad news to report - comedian Richard Pryor died either late last night or early today from a heart attack. He was 65. From the AP:

Pathbreaking Comedian Richard Pryor Dies

capt.ny11512102133.obit_pryor_ny115.jpg

LOS ANGELES - Richard Pryor, the caustic yet perceptive actor-comedian who lived dangerously close to the edge both on stage and off, has died, his ex-wife said Saturday. He was 65.

Pryor died of a heart attack at his home in the San Fernando Valley sometime late Friday or early Saturday, Flyn Pryor said. He had been ill for years with multiple sclerosis, a degenerative disease of the nervous system.

The comedian was regarded early in his career as one of the most foul-mouthed comics in the business, but he gained a wide following for his expletive-filled but universal and frequently personal insights into modern life and race relations.

His audacious style influenced an array of stand-up artists, including Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall and Damon Wayans, as well as Robin Williams, David Letterman and others.

A series of hit comedies in the '70s and '80s, as well as filmed versions of his concert performances, helped make him Pryor one of the highest paid stars in Hollywood. He was one of the first black performers to have enough leverage to cut his own Hollywood deals. In 1983, he signed a $40 million, five-year contract with Columbia Pictures.

His films included "Stir Crazy," "Silver Streak," "Which Way Is Up?" and "Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip."

Capt. Bacardi

This is awful news. He will be missed. His album WANTED is a must-listen for any comedy fan.

"Get the f&$k outta here, death!"

My first experience with Richard Pryor was when a friend played the Is It Something I Said? album, and my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Between the military and Richard Pryor albums I became a master at swearing! :laugh: But he had a great way of telling a story, especially "Mudbone". I've always enjoyed his work.

After reading some of the other obits online I completely forgot that Pryor worked with Mel Brooks on "Blazing Saddles". I can't say much for his movies, other than "Stir Crazy". The concert movies were great, though.

Capt. Bacardi

I think my favorite Pryor bit, from the WANTED album, is where he plays two guys out hunting.

"OK...gimme the rifle."

"What rifle?

"The one I gave you back at the car."

"Sh!t, I didn't know you wanted me to carry the rifle."

"If you ain't got the rifle, we in trouble!"

"Why are we in trouble, ain't nothin' but a deer."

"Yeah, but there's a bear behind you."

Very sad news to hear... Despite his debilitation from Multiple-Sclerosis, Pryor was not yet ready to retire and still wanted to perform! Richard Pryor was truly an original: whether the cameo-role in SUPERMAN III or starring in BUSTIN' LOOSE, I have seen a lot of his films and I loved them all! Funny before Richard was a star he was actually waiting tables at a venue where a young Phil Ochs was first performing, least according to the liner notes in Phil's The War Is Over: Best Of CD...

Dave

Pryor was incredibly funny and I've always enjoyed the albums THAT brother'S CRAZY and the follow-up, IS IT SOMETHING I SAID? -- particulary the Mudbone and Little Feets routine on the latter.

His black preacher impersonations were dead on, and I'll never forget his version of "The Exorcist," something few dared to satirize in that day:

"Dear God, there's a person in here who's possessed.
And we was wondering.
I know you're busy.
I've checked your schedule.
But how about exorcizing this mother f**ker to Cleveland or someplace."

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom