RIP: Pery Ribeiro (Bossa Rio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Rodney Davis e-mailed that Globo TV in Brazil reports the death of Pery Ribeiro at age 74. Besides having a successful solo career, he was part of Sergio Mendes' Brasil '66 spinoff group, BOSSA RIO. They recorded one album for A&M Records and went on to Blue Thumb Records for a studio album and a live album, which was recorded in Japan.

Thanks for passing that along--I received the email also but am not at my usual computer to do much right now. :thumbsup:

Brazilian newspapers are reporting that Pery Ribeiro passed away this morning of a heart attack. He was 74.

Pery was born into a musical family. His mother was one of the top Brasilian divas of all time, Dalva de Oliveira, and his father was composer and musician Herivelto Martins ("Ave Maria no Morro," "Nega Manhosa"). Pery forever will be remembered for recording the first commercial version of "Girl from Ipanema." Those of us at A&M Corner remember him best for his participation in the Bossa Rio group.

I met Pery after a Gal Costa concert in Fort Lauderdale about 10 years ago. He was very personable (talking about an upcoming project) and still handsome.

Moderators note: Two threads merged into one and placed in the Brazilian music forum.

As always, these kind of threads are distressing news, reminders of our own mortality as our heroes pass away. But we'll remember them through their music. R.I.P. Pery - you'll be missed.

Harry

Dear Forum Members,
Yes Very Sad News Indeed. A great Singer and personality.
Pery Ribeiro, I enjoyed his work through the years.
Aqua do Brasil.

An odd coincidence in timing for me as I just this past month finally managed to snag an actual LP copy of BOSSA RIO-LIVE IN JAPAN for a very reasonable price. It's funny how those things happen. Out of the blue you'll watch a movie or something with a star in it that you haven't seen in ages, and then within days sometimes, an unfortunate passing of that star will occur. I guess it's like the rule-of-threes that we hear about all the time where it seems like three famous people will all pass away within close proximity of time.

Harry

Pery has really been one of the few people I have grown to like and really follow the music of. There are only a few people who are in the same list of liked artists and true enough, Pery was on of the great exceptions.

From the simple stands to the ever so alluring mashups, it really makes for great music that you surely will go out, love and rave about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom