1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

RIP Pete Turner

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by RichardWarner, Sep 19, 2017.

1. RichardWarner

RichardWarner Active Member Contributor Thread Starter

One of the world's great photographers, and one of the first to experiment with color in the dark room, has passed away. He brought life to Blue Note, A&M and CTI covers for decades. A good man.

Obituary: Pete Turner, Master of Color Photography, 83 | PDN Online

I had the honor of interviewing him on WSB radio in 1979 and again for A&M corner, where he told the story behind all the A&M CTI covers.

Some years back, I sent him albums that were missing from his collection (thanks to eBay) as he prepared his book of jazz record covers he shot over the years. In return, he sent me a signed print of "Road Song" to go along with my signed "Wave," "Summertime" and "Samba Blim" prints, and put me on his Christmas card list, which always included a Turner photograph.

Steven J. Gross and Bobberman like this.
  2. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I was just wondering about him a week or two ago. Sad to hear this.

He was a pioneer in color photography and usage of light--there are photos of his that even today, I have never seen imitated by other photographers. He has even had a small influence on my own photography. I prefer to shoot mostly nature, landscape and architecture, but it isn't out of the agenda to slip in a somewhat abstract photo or two that plays on the colors and lighting.

3. Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty Active Member

The guy had one of the most amazing senses of color and composition I've ever seen. Rest in peace, Pete.

4. LPJim

LPJim Well-Known Member Moderator

The quality of his work was such that a shopper with little knowledge about an album could take a chance on a purchase with confidence the music had as much thought behind it as the cover art. R.I.P.

JB

5. RIP Pete Turner.

In honor of his brilliant "Giraffe" photo, I've appropriated the colors for my Avatar.

Bobberman likes this.
  6. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Truly a One of a kind photographer His work will Live Forever in the many Albums that bear his unmistakable photos Rest in Peace Mr Turner.

7. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I am "borrowing" a few of his images as Gravatars. This one today is "Bubble and Stripe."

upload_2017-9-20_22-0-2.png

DeeInKY likes this.
  8. Michael Hagerty

Rudy likes this.
  9. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Double whammy? :D

IMG_20170925_093603.jpg

Bobberman likes this.
  10. Moritat

Moritat Member

A great loss for both the photography and music worlds. He shot with Nikon cameras & lenses. I thought Nikon should have used him more as a spokesman for the brand. His photos for the A&M jazz line certainly helped sales. My favorite A&M Turner photo was "Road Song".

Michael Hagerty likes this.
  11. Michael Hagerty

Mortitat: Mine, too. In fact, it was the photo that convinced 12-year-old me to take a chance and buy the album. My first jazz LP purchase, but by no means the last.

Bobberman likes this.