RISE - Official Comments and Review Thread

What is your favorite track from the new RISE?

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Rise

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Behind The Rain

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Rotation

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Aranjuez (Mon Amour)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Love Is

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Angelina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Street Life

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Rotation (Alternate Version) [*]

• Aranjuez (2007 Dance Mix) [*]

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
badazz said:
I saw auntie and uncle twice at Vibrato and had a smile on my face both times. Lani is a true treasure with perfect pitch and the other guy with the horn was both humerous and might even go places should he keep practicing!

I hope "auntie & uncle" keep it up! I still have that smile on my face. That demo sounds 'badass'. Those Teac machines never die, do they!? I recently found a sealed reel-to-reel copy of "Summertime". Can't wait to get it transfered. One of my favorite songs ever is, "The Nicest Things Happen". Julius is soooo underrated. Well anyway, you have a great weekend Randy and I hope to see you 'next time' at Vibrato :wink:

[Note: Quotes fixed by moderator. No editing was done to the text.]

I know I've said it before, but I love the RandyAndy LP and that video is pretty good, too.

I also like your pre- 'Andy tunes like "Buck$" and "Honk Honk Beep Beep" (what a racy sleeve for its day). I think you did another one I've never found but only heard. It's been years but it was about gas or sitting in line to get gas. Something like that in my aging memory...

Again, it's great you've graced us with your presence again with the release of Rise.

--Mr Bill
posting from somewhere in the Pacific Ocean

Hey Randy:

Just saw the video! I used to watch a lot of the video music shows back in the day,(the 80s) and I've never seen this video! It's very creative, and also very(for lack of a better word)'80ish'. No surprise there, considering it was made in the 80s! Also, like I said, as timely today as it was back in those days! Thanks for showing the posting of the video so that I could see it!

Wow...never heard that song...listened once and now I can't get it out of my head! Wish it was on iTunes. Which one is Randy?

Like most people I love this album. I thought it was great that Herb distanced himself from the TJB sound and surrounded himself with a more contemporary sound. He took a big step in doing that with the Hugh Masekela sessions the year before, and Rise seemed to be a natural progression. The sound of this album is great, and Herb sounds very confident in his trumpet playing.

The song "Rise" has a lot of things going for it. Obviously, the melody and chord progressions are beautiful, and Abe Laboriel had that mean bass underneath. But there were other neat things going on in the background as well. The marimba part is one of those. When I met Randy a couple of years ago he told me that when they were going through the song the first time Julius Wechter started doing his Baja thing on marimba. That's not what they wanted. Instead they wanted Julius to use a more percussive feel with the marimba, and I always thought that gave "Rise" a very exotic feel to it. Another neat item was after they went through the melody the first time and the long rhythm vamp. In the background on the left channel you'll hear this little muted guitar riff that is rather simple, yet funky. Then all of a sudden for 4 beats that guitar breaks downward into a 64th-note run then it goes right back to that simple riff before the piano comes back in. I used to always listen to albums with headphones and noticed that right away. It's not quite as noticeable with regular speakers unless you're listening for it. Very cool!

I also remember Randy saying that on the second go around of the melody that the bridge of the song was repeated, but that got edited out because of the length of the song, and there was something about the vinyl grooves that would have made it difficult to make the whole song (which was then at over 9 minutes) on the album (Randy, did I say that right?).

On "Behind The Rain", during the chorus there is this syncopated block piano chord progression that I thought was flat-out gorgeous. It really sets off the hi-hat cymbal rhythm.

I've already mentioned that "Rotation" was my favorite song. When it came out as a single one of our local radio stations - which was what they called an AOR station at the time (adult oriented rock) - played the 12" version all the time. Considering what was being played on radio at that time "Rotation" was a bit out there. Almost a precursor to the techno scene. But I loved the way the rhythm section broke into a quasi-Brazilian samba behind Herb's solo, where Herb came close to a Miles Davis mode. That song still sounds comtemporary today.

Then there's "Aranjuez". I had been used to Miles' version on his Sketches Of Spain album, as well as versions by the L.A. 4, Jim Hall and even Chick Corea's intro to "Spain". I was not a disco fan at all, and the dance scene had pretty much passed me by (let's face it, does anyone really want to see me on a dance floor? I thought not. :D ). But "Aranjuez" made me want to give it a try. It has an infectious groove to it. And that Middle Eastern section in the middle of the tune is a gas! I wasn't too crazy about the strings right before Herb's first solo, but that was quickly forgotten. Again, there's a neat marimba part in the background when Herb starts his second solo, which is one of the better solos on record by Herb.

I'm still getting accustomed to the alternate version of "Rotation" (I don't want to say it's "ReWhipped" :wink: ). Herb does get into some serious blowing towards the end of the song. He still has it! It would be neat if the dance mix of "Aranjuez" would make it to the clubs around the world. Maybe it will get released as a dance single.

I hope everybody goes out and gets this reissue. I bought a couple of copies, keeping one sealed (as I've done with the TJB reissues).

Capt. Bacardi

I finally picked up the recently re-released Rise album and was kickiing back listening to the album and reading the liner notes in the booklet - and something that caught my attention was the reference to the song 1980 being written for the 1980 Olympics in Mexico City....Being a collegiate runnner in late 1970s and having friends quailfiy for the 1980 Olympic trials I recalled that the 1980 Olympics were held in Moscow not Mexico and we boycotted the Olympics and our athletes didnt get to compete. The Mexico City Olympics were held in 1968. Has anyone else noticed this mistake or am I missing something?

rh

Yep. It's a mistake - and it even says "1960 summer Olympics in Mexico City" if you look carefully.

You're correct in stating that it was for the 1980 Olympics which were held in Moscow. President Carter called for the boycott. The games would have been televised by NBC here in the States, and Herb's "1980" would have been the telecasts' theme.

By the way, "reh", welcome to the A&M Corner Forum.

Harry

Just bought the reissue at Circuit City, and I am not disappointed! The sound here is more clearer, more concise, and more better. "Behind The Rain" sounds more powerful; I always felt it should have been used for an action-adventure movie, that's the way it sounds to my ears. A friend of mine said that he liked the Alpert version of "Street Life" more than The Crusaders' (even though they were the original artists/composers of the tune)because their version felt like something out of "Fame"; like you expect to see dancers breaking out any minute dancing in the streets.

He said that the Herb version is more(for lack of a better word)'street', and more funkier and grittier. Although I love both versions, I'd have to agree. The Alpert version IS more stripped down, and more grittier.I love the new version of 'Rotation'!(What, no Bill Earl on intro?) Randy, can you answer this one:is this a new version of 'Rotation' made for this reissue, or did you , Andy, and your uncle record this back in '79, but were not satisfied with the results at that time, and then rerecord the song with the version we all know? Or did you all record this version, and now Herb has recorded new improvisational trumpet tracks over this version like he did on 'Rewhipped'?Would like to know!

This 2007 dance mix of 'Aranjuez' at least to my ears, doesn't sound all that different from the '79 version. I thought it would be more master -mixed; like you hear in the clubs, what with a lot more electronica beats, more heavy bass, all mixed by somebody like John Digwood, Tricky, or one of the DJs that Herb played with on 'Rewhipped'.

However, this is an excellent reissue, and is 'Beyond' coming next? That too was an excellent album.

P.S.: "Rotation" to me, was the precursor to this new music now that's all the rage in musical underground corners(particularly in Euorope); this whole 'chill' sound, which is jazz mixed with hip-hop beats, funk, a bit of world music, and a lot of electronica. It's been championed by the likes of Chris Botti(a great trumpet player himself, who's also an Alpert fan!)among others.Even back in '79, Herb, Randy and Andy were ahead of their time.

"Rotation" is currently playing on XM83 (Chrome, which is the dance/disco channel). :thumbsup:

Better late than never, I finally listened to the CD & "Behind The Rain" is my # 1 followed by "Rise" at # 2 & "Street Life" at # 3. I bought the CD at Best Buy in Saginaw, MI last Wednesday. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

AM Matt said:
Better late than never, I finally listened to the CD & "Behind The Rain" is my # 1 followed by "Rise" at # 2 & "Street Life" at # 3. I bought the CD at Best Buy in Saginaw, MI last Wednesday. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I'm really surprised how many Michiganders post here. Maybe because Herb's music over the years and all those album covers with pretty girls and locations and 'clear blue skies' helped get us all through all those terrible winters and were the soundtracks for all of our wonderful summer pool parties. I have grown to realize that we Midwesterners appreciate summer more than say the West Coast. I grew up in Saginaw Township Matt and went to Eisenhower HS. I've been living in LA for the past 9 years. My family still owns a home on Glen Lake :wink:

"RISE" is indeed back, and better than ever!! I love the whole Signature Series treatment "Rise" has received. It's amazing how just a little freshening of the packaging, bonus tracks and the fanfare of a properly done re-release, force a fan to look a little closer look and listen to something so familiar and maybe taken for granted.

This is one fabulous thread and I have to point out Captain Bacardi's post as one his best to date and one of the reasons I love to log on here.

Everybody has done a great job of really fleshing out what's great about this album and time period of Herb's career. Bring on "Beyond" "Magic Man" and "Fandango."

When we get to "Bullish" one of these days I hope Badazz chimes in about "Struttin On Five" and the great title cut, two of my favorites.

(Up) CherryStreet said:
...I'm really surprised how many Michiganders post here...!

It's 'cause y'all make the Music out there, and we build the Cars you buy; that's why!!! :jester:

Dave ([Down] Lower Peninsula!) :laugh:

Mike Blakesley said:
Captain Bacardi said:
Dave said:
the J.D. Mayness pedal steel guitar--The First Use Of on a Herb Alpert track!

You'd better listen to "Country Lake" again...

Capt. Bacardi
Well, technically, that was a Tijuana Brass track, not a Herb Alpert track!

Mike B.

-- :oops: ...:laugh:

Well, maybe I may have meant the first time Jay Dee played his pedal steel with Herb then... Who did play it on "Country Lake", anyway? Given the mostly-C&W nature of The Brass Are Comin', you'd think there'd be a tad bit more of it, 'least on another tune, or two...

Dave

Forgot to ask....Am I the only one that would buy a DVD compilation containing all of Herb's solo A&M/ALMO music videos?

Shout! could do a great Herb Alpert Signature Series DVD of them.

Everything from "RISE" to the last videos shot for ALMO stuff would be great. Herb is really a bit of a music pioneer as well. The opportunity for bonus materials would be great as well. Seeing them remastered with great sound would be great. "The Very Best of Herb Alpert" only had just a sampling of a few really great ones.

Maybe Badazz has a opinion on this too, I hope!

Dave said:
(Up) CherryStreet said:
...I'm really surprised how many Michiganders post here...!

It's 'cause y'all make the Music out there, and we build the Cars you buy; that's why!!! :jester:

Dave ([Down] Lower Peninsula!) :laugh:

Y'all STILL making many cars in Michigan? :shock: I just heard about yet another "Amusement Park" idea to save the jobs.

Captain Bacardi said:
The song "Rise" has a lot of things going for it. Obviously, the melody and chord progressions are beautiful, and Abe Laboriel had that mean bass underneath. But there were other neat things going on in the background as well. The marimba part is one of those. When I met Randy a couple of years ago he told me that when they were going through the song the first time Julius Wechter started doing his Baja thing on marimba. That's not what they wanted. Instead they wanted Julius to use a more percussive feel with the marimba, and I always thought that gave "Rise" a very exotic feel to it. Another neat item was after they went through the melody the first time and the long rhythm vamp. In the background on the left channel you'll hear this little muted guitar riff that is rather simple, yet funky. Then all of a sudden for 4 beats that guitar breaks downward into a 64th-note run then it goes right back to that simple riff before the piano comes back in. I used to always listen to albums with headphones and noticed that right away. It's not quite as noticeable with regular speakers unless you're listening for it. Very cool!

I also remember Randy saying that on the second go around of the melody that the bridge of the song was repeated, but that got edited out because of the length of the song, and there was something about the vinyl grooves that would have made it difficult to make the whole song (which was then at over 9 minutes) on the album (Randy, did I say that right?).

I've already mentioned that "Rotation" was my favorite song. When it came out as a single one of our local radio stations - which was what they called an AOR station at the time (adult oriented rock) - played the 12" version all the time. Considering what was being played on radio at that time "Rotation" was a bit out there. Almost a precursor to the techno scene. But I loved the way the rhythm section broke into a quasi-Brazilian samba behind Herb's solo, where Herb came close to a Miles Davis mode. That song still sounds comtemporary today.Capt. Bacardi

Thank you for your lovely comments Captain B: After it was quickly decided that we were not going to be doing TJB dance versions, Herb was gracious enough to let me captain the ship for the Rise recording. While Andy Armer, Mike Lang, and Tim May were going over the chords (Rise has a lot of chords) I went over to work with Abe and Steve Schaeffer on the "funk motor". Uncle allowed us to make a funk track which was certainly the opposite direction of the TJB or anything he had ever done. While we were running the track down, Julius was was, as you say, doing his Baja Marimba thing which although it was lovely and brilliant, it wasn't particularly what I had in mind. The tone and color of the marimba was beautiful but I wanted Julius's thing to be sparse, non chordal, funky, percussive, and non traditional. I did not want TJB. We wanted something new and different.

Rise was cut at close to 10 minutes in length and yes there were 2 bridges. We all decided, after the session, that 1 bridge would make it special so we cut the 2nd bridge. There was also a whole lot of funk groove after the fade on the record. We actually had a hard time mastering the 12" single at 7 1/2 minutes because I wanted a lot of level on the vinyl and we had mixed the bass so loud that on quite a few refs, that were cut, the needle on the player kept popping off the record. There is a whole lot of energy coming off of those open bass strings coupled with the kick drum. I made sure that this would be a Herb Alpert record with a whole lot of fat punchy bottom.

Tim May played a brilliant guitar part throughout. I brought in my friend, Chris Pinnick, a few days later to play some of the muted funky lines that you are probably hearing on guitar. I brought in my Roland Space Echo and that is what Chris is playing through on the guitar parts in the bridge. The famous repeating guitar chord that hits on both down beats of the break sections is Chris tripled tracked while I am manually manipulating the Space Echo. I think uncle was really digging all of this technology stuff.

Regarding Rotation: I love that record and am proud to be a part of it. It is probably the 1st Herb track, other then a piano ballad, ever created piece by piece without a traditional rhythm section. We wanted a quasi middle eastern electronic feel with non traditional instruments. Andy and I went into tiny studio C and started with a beat box, Andy playing a muted clavinet, as I played a tiny Moroccan clay drum. That was the feel of the whole song. The kick drum was a couch cushion I hit very softly. There's no traditional backbeat. There are 4 tracks of tiny sticks being hit on every quarter note and there are finger cymblas, as well as some of my other exotic percussion pieces. Andy is playing the 16th note Minimoog bass line like a percussion player as I'm sweeping the contour and filter knobs which gives that swishing in and out feel. Herb came in the next afternoon, loved the track, and we cut the trumpet parts rather quickly if I recall. It is also the very first time that Herb's trumpet was going through another device other then the traditional echo chamber. Uncle was very cool to allow me to record him live through my Space Echo as I manipulated the echos. I'm not a big believer of adding effects in the mix. Let's try some cool stuff and if it works, let's print it as we're doing it. Rotation is a very different sounding track which I think still sounds great today. I was very very surprised when the promo department at A&M wanted Rotation to be the follow-up to Rise. Thanks again for your nice words Captain.

Mr Bill said:
I know I've said it before, but I love the RandyAndy LP and that video is pretty good, too.
[/size]

Thanks for your nice comments Mr. Bill. Hope that you are having fun out there in the Pacific.

Hi Richard:

Randy is the other guy who isn't Andy.javascript:emoticon(':laugh:') :laugh:

Dave said:
Mike Blakesley said:
Captain Bacardi said:
Dave said:

Capt. Bacardi

Mike B.

We actually wanted to have Sneaky Pete play the pedal steel however he was out on the road with the Chris Hillman Band at the time.

badazz said:
Dave said:
Mike Blakesley said:
Captain Bacardi said:
Dave said:

Capt. Bacardi

Mike B.

We actually wanted to have Sneaky Pete play the pedal steel however he was out on the road with the Chris Hillman Band at the time.

Randy, Thank you sooo much for all of these great insights into the recording of the "Rise" album. I know I speak for everyone here when
I say, "It's like getting a whole new set of of special liner notes with the
re-release".

Randy: A question about the track "1980." Why wasn't it recorded using the 3M digital machine? Or was it recorded before that equipment was available?

Digital or not, it sounds great and is probably my 2nd fave track on the record.

Bullish '84 said:
Forgot to ask....Am I the only one that would buy a DVD compilation containing all of Herb's solo A&M/ALMO music videos?

Shout! could do a great Herb Alpert Signature Series DVD of them.

Everything from "RISE" to the last videos shot for ALMO stuff would be great. Herb is really a bit of a music pioneer as well. The opportunity for bonus materials would be great as well. Seeing them remastered with great sound would be great. "The Very Best of Herb Alpert" only had just a sampling of a few really great ones.

Maybe Badazz has a opinion on this too, I hope!

Hi Bullish:

You know, I have no idea what Shout is doing regarding the releases of the records and or any videos. I'm really only involved when Unc asks for some help or has some questions. Thanks for your prior kind words about Bullish. I have some great memories about those sessions with Holland & Holland. 2 amazing taents in American pop music.

Mike Blakesley said:
Randy: A question about the track "1980." Why wasn't it recorded using the 3M digital machine? Or was it recorded before that equipment was available?

Digital or not, it sounds great and is probably my 2nd fave track on the record.

Hi Mike:

Man,,, When we started to get this re-release ready back in December 2006, I hadn't heard this album in probably 15+ years. When I heard 1980 come on I got the same goose bumps I got when I first heard the demo track in early 1979 in Unc's office when Andy and I had our first meeting with him and we were going over the Rise arrangement. 1980 was started before the 3M digital arrived and was then transferred, over-dubbed, and mixed from the 32 track machine. It's a brilliant track and in my opinion, an absolutely spectacular, exciting, magical, exhilaratingly perfect opening for that album. I actually thought it should have been the 2nd single... Thanks Mike.

Hi Bullish:

You know, I have no idea what Shout is doing regarding the releases of the records and or any videos. I'm really only involved when Unc asks for some help or has some questions. Thanks for your prior kind words about Bullish. I have some great memories about those sessions with Holland & Holland. 2 amazing taents in American pop music.

How about 2 amazing talents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom