1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudy Van Gelder, legendary audio engineer, has passed

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by Rudy, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

Steven J. Gross likes this.
  2. Bobberman

Bobberman Active Member

A true legend has been lost Rest in peace Mr. Van Gelder.

Steven J. Gross likes this.
  3. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator

Seems like every day now some other famous person is passing away. Sad to hear of the loss of Mr. Van Gelder.

Harry
    ...listening now to the rare STONEBONE by J & K...

4. Rudy

2016 has been a terrible year, death-wise. :sigh:

5. Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty Active Member

Sure sorry to read this. Rudy was a giant.

Bobberman likes this.
  6. natureaker

natureaker Active Member

Very true, unfortunately. Mr. Van Gelder will be missed.

7. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

He did engineer so many classic jazz recordings. Unfortunately, some of his remasters weren't all that great. I found some of them to be rather muddy sounding, which is why I usually go back to the original records. But you can't argue his contributions to jazz over the decades.

Bobberman likes this.
  8. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator

I've always thought that, being a person who likes crisp highs in recordings. I remember way back when - we were discussing WE AND THE SEA by Tamba 4. I was never able to find that LP, but like others, was surprised that it got a CD release in Japan back around 1998 or so. While I was thrilled to finally hear the album, it sounded a bit muddy to me.

Then, just a couple of years later, Verve By Request reissued it in the US. This one sounded much better to my ears.

Bobberman likes this.
  9. Rudy

Many of those CTi recordings are muddy. I forget which frequency it was, but I used a parametric equalizer to notch out a small bit of the midbass and it really cleaned up the sound. It wasn't much--just a decibel or two--to clear it up. Some recent masterings reduce that murky sound, thankfully.

Bobberman likes this.