Rumer - new artist, with echoes of Karen Carpenter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rudy, it's so funny how as listeners we enjoy things so differently. I ended up getting her Into Colour CD first (import w/ bonus tracks from Japan) and I absolutely love it, there are so many favorite tracks I love, I think I've played "Hasbrook Heights" the most from that album I absolutely love that track. I also really like Pizza and Pinball and my ultimate favorite is "Baby Come Back To Bed" I think this album has an edge that is just enough but not too much it's really great.

Here's the bad part....then I ordered Boy's Don't Cry (Japan w/ bonus) and had played some samples before I bought and thought I like it however I got the CD from Santa and I've managed to play it twice and to be honest I'm not really liking it, none of the tracks are standing out for me hard time connecting and none have warranted me to hit the replay button. It's like the total opposite from Into Colour.

For this, I'm afraid to order her debut CD release....I know I've done things in the wrong order....

I took my first listening of this Into colour thing this evening and I detested it, to me it sounded like someone's told her "look, your voice cast shadows of Karen Carpenter and this appeals to 70's easy pop listeners, so we'll have you ENTIRELY PRODUCED, HEAD TO TOE, as a 70's middle-of-the-way act and people will be crazy about it" and here we have her singing low-class 70's-like soporific pulp music, they turned her into a TYPE and a mediocre one, killing her talent altogether. You can hardly tell the songs from one another, Seasons of my soul sounded fresh and nice but this stuff gives me the feeling of something I have to shake the spiderwebs from before and struggle to be woken up during listening, it was BORN dated from another era, I didn't know that was possible! I hope she does something about it from her next album on, otherwise she's ruined. Thank God we have Seasons of my soul to listen to endlessly, she debuted her own "tan album" and jumped forward to release her own A kind of hush, I hope she gets back to the fits.

I found this on Google, I agree:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/16/rumer-into-colour-review-seventies-disco-sterility

The promotional demands made upon Rumer by her top-five debut album,Seasons of My Soul, caused Britain’s Karen Carpenter soundalike to fall ill with post-traumatic stress disorder.Into Colour, according to press reports, is the sound ofRumertackling the fallout, though the sterile songs rarely indicate as much. Dangerous, the set’s first single, channels Salsoul-era disco but elsewhere the mood is flat and the tunes forgettable, Rumer’s muted voice lacking the mystique of the 70s folk artists she reveres.

The commenters are more to the fans side though:

As reviews go, short and not so sweet!
Did Miss Rose have just the one play with a glass of wine before going out last night? Ok its not as mesmerising as the first but a few plays reveals textures and beauty.......

I would need to have the whole bottle, sorry.

What a rubbish review! They clearly didn't even listen to the album.

This is an album you may listen to many times and forget that you ever did, unfortunately.

And yet he has a whole week to come up with a pitiful paragraph for each album he 'reviews'.

Art sets emotional responses from everyone!

Chris, don't hesitate to grab SEASONS OF MY SOUL. It really is an exceptional first album.

First albums from songwriters are often innovative in the sense that the artist has a lifetime of songs pent up just waiting for an outlet. Then the pressures to "do it again" come around from the record company and the buying public and it often leads to poorer sophomore efforts. In Rumer's case, her second album was a complete covers album. She sang competently enough on BOYS DON'T CRY, but the material just wasn't quite right for her and the arrangements were nothing special.

I remember delighting in SEASONS OF MY SOUL when I first got it. It was one of those that instantly went to the mp3 player and it got lots of listens as I did my daily walks.

I think that INTO COLOUR falls closer to that first album than it does the second with more sparks of creativity from Rumer herself. I had mentioned in the Harriet thread that her stuff was good but lacking in "fun". Think of those early Carpenters albums and how much "fun" they were in between the serious ballads. INTO COLOUR has more "fun" elements for me, with song like "Dangerous", "Pizza and Pinball", and "Play Your Guitar". Then trow in the gorgeous ballads and it adds up to a quite listenable album. I don't get that sense at all from BOYS DON'T CRY.

Harry

I feel the same way, Into Colour has just the right amount of ballads and fun stuff that I actually want to return to playing it again and again and had several weeks to really get into the album, then when Boys Don't Cry arrived I was actually disappointed. I can't really address why fans or critics are not liking Into Colour because I see many things I enjoy about the album and I'd go as far to say that even if I had her first album and loved it, I'd still like Into Colour because it grabs me. I guess we all hear and feel things differently.

I wish I could exchange the CD of Boys Don't Cry for Seasons Of My Soul.

Rumer just posted on her Facebook page that she is compiling a CD release of "b-sides and rarities" for her fans. She was asking her followers for their favorites to include. No information on when this will be released though.

Rudy or anyone else that owns the vinyl.....not sure if you are aware but Rumer has posted a message on Facebook saying:

"If anyone has been experiencing problems with their vinyl please email rumerletters @ gmail.com and we will endeavour to get your copy replaced"

Rudy, I remember reading that you had trouble with your vinyl copy so apparently others are as well....must be a widespread issue if Rumer has posted a message about the vinyl pressing.

Rudy or anyone else that owns the vinyl.....not sure if you are aware but Rumer has posted a message on Facebook saying:

"If anyone has been experiencing problems with their vinyl please email rumerletters @ gmail.com and we will endeavour to get your copy replaced"

Rudy, I remember reading that you had trouble with your vinyl copy so apparently others are as well....must be a widespread issue if Rumer has posted a message about the vinyl pressing.

Vinyl recall.
We have seen a few complaints on social media about the vinyl. After testing, we found that 1 in 4 of the vinyls have a fault. As a result we are repressing them. If anyone feels like their vinyl copy is faulty, please email [email protected], with your name and address and we will send you a replacement as soon as the next batch come in. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

I am so looking forward to meeting you on the tours! Thank you for buying tickets, and buying my CD. Look out for a US tour announcement very soon. We are still working out the logistics for that as we speak and we will be announcing that any day now..... The album is out February 10th in the USA.

Love
Rumer x

B Sides and Rarities CD.
So many of you have told me that you want an album of rare and unreleased Rumer tracks. As a result I have compiled a 17 track disc, a collection of B sides, outtakes, and live radio broadcasts.( I couldn't get any of the Live from Daryl’s House music licensed for it unfortunately.)

A handful of them you may already have in your collection, but I know there will be a lot of tracks on the CD that you may not already have The new CD with exclusive photography, shot in Siloam Springs, Arkansas by Miles Witt Boyer, will be available on the UK and European Tour, as well as online stores, including my new label and international record store Night Owl. (We will give you all the purchase links as soon as this product becomes available)

Rumer on tour in USA during April

From Rumer's Facebook page:

April 3 - Nashville, TN
April 6 - Vienna, VA
April 7 - Philadelphia, PA
April 8 - New York, NY
April 13 - Chicago, IL (actually Evanston)
April 16 - Seattle, WA
April 18 - Vancouver, BC (Canada)
April 19 -Portland, OR
April 21 - Oakland, CA
April 23 - Los Angeles, CA

There is also apparently a show on April 25 in San Francisco that is not listed. It is at a place called Bimbo's. I also heard about a second show in Los Angeles which is some sort of benefit performance with Stephen Bishop but I have no idea what date that is.

Unfortunately, none of these are anywhere close to me in Columbus, OH. I am definitely going to a show though. Just need to figure out which one makes the most sense to travel to. My birthday is in April, so that will be my present to myself.

Apparently, according to Rumer's email, the B SIDES AND RARITIES disc will only be available at her website. I had placed an order with Amazon.UK but they still hadn't shipped - nor is there any artwork there, I suspect they were somehow shut out of being a distributor for this disc, at least initially. In its place I've ordered from Rumer's website - which turns out to be quite a pricey transaction. But the purchase also includes instant downloads of the entire album.

Harry

Apparently, according to Rumer's email, the B SIDES AND RARITIES disc will only be available at her website. I had placed an order with Amazon.UK but they still hadn't shipped - nor is there any artwork there, I suspect they were somehow shut out of being a distributor for this disc, at least initially. In its place I've ordered from Rumer's website - which turns out to be quite a pricey transaction. But the purchase also includes instant downloads of the entire album.

Harry

Yes it's been put up and taken down twice from Amazons site, but I got it from her show at the Epstein in Liverpool last Friday anyway, it's the same price as on her website.
It's well worth adding to your collection there are some tracks which she's given away but also new ones, and it better on CD anyway than download.

In its place I've ordered from Rumer's website - which turns out to be quite a pricey transaction.

I know what you mean, Harry. My jaw dropped when I saw the $13 shipping charge for a $16 CD!!! But, I realized I would have paid at least $25 for the Japanese import of Into Colour for its two bonus tracks and another $10 for the US version to get "Frederick Douglass" so I was able to justify the expense since it includes those three songs and a dozen others. I just pretended the CD was $26 and the shipping was only $3! Haha!! I can't wait until it arrives. The track list is fantastic although I was surprised that "Welcome Back" wasn't included.

I bought my ticket for her April 13 show in Chicago (Evanston) and ended up getting a seat at a table up front by the stage!! So excited.

I know what you mean, Harry. My jaw dropped when I saw the $13 shipping charge for a $16 CD!!! But, I realized I would have paid at least $25 for the Japanese import of Into Colour for its two bonus tracks and another $10 for the US version to get "Frederick Douglass" so I was able to justify the expense since it includes those three songs and a dozen others. I just pretended the CD was $26 and the shipping was only $3! Haha!! I can't wait until it arrives. The track list is fantastic although I was surprised that "Welcome Back" wasn't included.

I bought my ticket for her April 13 show in Chicago (Evanston) and ended up getting a seat at a table up front by the stage!! So excited.

Rumer has posted on Facebook that a number of people have written to her about the postage thing, they are looking into it and seems to be something wrong and all those that have purchased will be getting an e-mail shortly.

BTW Someone else on Facebook posted that he has a front table at the Chicago show as well, he's flying in from Columbus OH for it (I presume this is not you i'm talking about).

BTW Someone else on Facebook posted that he has a front table at the Chicago show as well, he's flying in from Columbus OH for it (I presume this is not you i'm talking about).

Actually, that is me! LOL! I mentioned that on the Rumer Worldwide Fans FB page the other night. Small world. :)

Actually, that is me! LOL! I mentioned that on the Rumer Worldwide Fans FB page the other night. Small world. :)

LOL it is a small world, there have others asking about Chicago on her own page, they don't seem to be aware that's she coming in April, I've tried to give them some pointers in the right direction.
I saw her in Liverpool on Friday the show was fantastic she had total standing ovation at the end and from what I've heard from others it's been similar at the other shows and the reviews have been great.
The London evening standard said how much she was blossoming as a performer, a sentiment that was echoed by some individuals who had seen her in the first show in 2010.

I think you're in for a treat come April, enjoy!

The B SIDES & RARITIES disc arrived a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't had time to even listen to the free mp3's that the website gave me, let alone the CD when it arrived. It sort of just went on the shelf, while real life continued.

This morning, in another Carpenters thread about woulda-coulda-shoulda tracks, the perennial "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress" is being tossed around again, which got me thinking about Rumer's version. It was B-side to "Slow" in the UK, yet it doesn't appear on the B SIDES & RARITIES album. So I guess we can take to the bank that the album is a good start, but is not all-inclusive as it's also missing "Welcome Back", as Actorman pointed out.

Harry

I hunted down the UK single just to get that song, "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress" and I'm so glad I did, really like that one. I'm curious if the B Sides & Rarities contains any uptempo tracks or are they all ballads?

Mostly ballads. The bossa version of "Dangerous" I think you have along with "Hasbrook Heights". After that, mostly ballads.

Harry

A video for 'Pizza & Pinball' has been posted, it should stir a few childhood memories which this song has done for some on here.

I meant to post this earlier.

I saw Rumer in concert in Chicago back on April 13. She was absolutely amazing. Sounded incredible live. I was sitting at the front table and could rest my foot on the bottom (of two) steps leading up to the stage. She had to walk right past me to get on and off of the stage. I met her afterward and she spent at least 5 minutes with me. She signed all 6 CDs I brought and was so flattered that I owned so many, she gave me a t-shirt as a "reward" for my devotion. So sweet, down to earth, and appreciative of her fans. She stayed for well over an hour and a half after the show and met with each and every fan that wanted to meet her.

One of the all-time best evenings of my life!

I meant to post this earlier.

I saw Rumer in concert in Chicago back on April 13. She was absolutely amazing. Sounded incredible live. I was sitting at the front table and could rest my foot on the bottom (of two) steps leading up to the stage. She had to walk right past me to get on and off of the stage. I met her afterward and she spent at least 5 minutes with me. She signed all 6 CDs I brought and was so flattered that I owned so many, she gave me a t-shirt as a "reward" for my devotion. So sweet, down to earth, and appreciative of her fans. She stayed for well over an hour and a half after the show and met with each and every fan that wanted to meet her.

One of the all-time best evenings of my life!

I've seen your post about it on Facebook, I think you mentioned that you hadn't stopped buzzing like 3 days after, the fans feedback from these shows has been fabulous and reviews such as the L A Times review of her Hollywood show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom