Sergio Mendes & BEP On Jay Leno 5/9/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortnee

Sergio Mendes is scheduled to appear AGAIN on Jay Leno on May 9th with BEP. The song 2 b performed that nite is "Mas Que Nada".

Good, maybe this time we'll get to see Gracinha.

Too bad they don't do "Berimbau/Consolacao" and get Stevie Wonder (instead of the Peas.)

Herb Alpert probably cornered Leno and said, "Since you can't seem to pronounce my name, you'd better get my buddy Sergio back on here pronto, buddy!" :D

Hey, what if Sergio Mendes and _ _ _ _ _ _ could be Jay Leno's Regular House-Band like Paul Schaffer, et al. on David Lettermen...??!!

Dave :freak:

I honestly wish Mr. Mendes would stop working with these half-baked rap acts today and keep up what he's been doing since the '60s: jazz-pop with mostly jazz-pop flavoring, not this rap crap. Today's artists are not in touch with his style that he perfected long ago. It's high time that he and a few other old timers in the jazz world paired up and recorded some bossa-nova/hard-bop albums.

Well, yes, it's a good move for Sergio to make an album geared toward our young listeners, but how many, so far, really appreciate it? (Just from the meager copies of it that it seems to be selling) I agree that the next Mendes outing/collaboration really should have more artists that SING!

I would bet Timeless is apt to be "borrowed" from as far as sampling goes; that is still the medium that youngsters are geared towards and that trend (...along with [C]RAP!) still refuses to die... In fact, it may happen with the next album; nothing is yet safe from this hideous practice...!! But something with a little more "Berimbau/Consolacao", if not a little more John Legend would STILL be worth a try...

Hopefully, someday, Someone will be BRAVE...!!! :love:

Dave

...Proof-Positive that when I walk into a bar, I hear ELO's "Evil Woman" being sampled for the latest Pussycat Dolls song, versus Ten-or more-Years ago, when that SONG would actually be played; a Modern Dance/Hip-Hop/R&B Station VS. Classic Rock Radio typically being played in public places--How Things Change!! :sad:

Here's hoping that "Mas Que Nada" generates more interest in the CD than the perfomance of "Surfboard"....(By the way, is anyone keeping tabs of videos that have been made? I literally stumbled upon a video for "That Heat" on a Spanish-language channel here in LA while surfing the dial...)

Well...?

I missed it, but did anyone see it?

I just checked amazon.com and it went from #101 yesterday to #120 today...

DAGNABBIT, I missed it too. I meant to watch it after work and just forgot. Oh well, it'll be on reruns one of these days probably.

Well, I saw it... Lindsay Lohan (after she entered the stage in a bathrobe asking Jay what dress to wear and holding up a red and blue one; Jay said the red one looked good, but she came on wearing the blue...) was actually a pretty good guest; an excerpt from her Up-Coming Movie JUST MY LUCK was shown; it comes out this Friday!

Ah, but who was HE? (--the Other "Guest"; another actor...) :confused:

Fast-Forward to the end of the show: Sergio Men-Dezzz, as Jay still calls him (but I think it's just all in fun) comes on playing his Yamaha keyboard (set on Acoustic Piano) along with a Guitarist, Bassist, a Second-Keyboardist, two Percussionists and a Drummer, as well as the two Back-Up Singers that he is currently using--in fact, he is with his band... The 'Peas sing "Mais Que Nada" (and rap a lil' as well--ending again, the probably "behind-the-scenes-debate as to WHO would really sound right doing it, and thereby being Living Proof!) and they actually did the song justice, but of course, Fergie was the one who made it what it was, singing her "part" in Portugese (Wow! Better 'n' Liza Minnelli's FRENCH!) :laugh: While Wil-I-Am rapped out, "Yo! Ser-Gee-Oh! Play Yo' Pi-A-No!", while Mr. Mendes banged along! I think they really made up for their last appearance, not to mention, bettered that LAST SHOW! :thumbsup:

Conan O'Brien was on next and was worth seeing hanging out in Chicago with Mr. T...; I really enjoyed watching that! Musical Guests were the Rock Band, Cheap Trick, but unfortunately I had to go right to bed before they came on! :sad:

Dave

So much better than the first time. Better choice of song, better placement of Sergio on stage, better camera work, all the Black Eyed Peas (not just one!) - the vocals were a little squirrely, but I can't tell if that was because there was too much Fergie in the mix or what....hopefully, this will revive the sales......

I just happened to turn the TV on when Sergio came out. I had to change the channel after a minute or so. That whole act made me nauseas. I was embarrassed for Sergio.

Capt. Bacardi

Oh...Wait! I remember something else! They all went to the Kentucky Derby to do some er, --Horsin' Around! :tongue: Not Jay, but some other guy was profiled around the Derby with the folks (including a few celebrities) there... No sign of Jerry Moss and his famed, Giacomo, (Remember how they WON Last Year?!) so I guess that's why I forgot to post that 'til now!:cool:

Dave

Hey everyone. i missed it too ...DARN! However I can always catch it in the reruns which should be on next week. For those of you who did see it, would you kindly IDENTIFY Sergio's band by NAMES(if possible of course)? THANK U!

.And do you mean to tell me that Sergio didn't use a PERCUSSIONIST for this performance? Sorry, but I find that really hard to believe considering the fact that he did have a percussionist on the track, even though it's uncredited. But just listen to it and you will actually hear percussion being played......

sergleno1.jpg

sergleno2.jpg

sergleno4.jpg

sergj7.sized.jpg

sergj8.jpg

sergj9.jpg

Thanks for the Photos! Like I said, compared to the last TONIGHT SHOW Appearance, this one was First-Rate!

Dave

I watched it on youtube. I agree, much better than the previous performance. No goofy dancers this time and mo pee-a-noe.

HEY GUYS! What's up with the video of Sergio Mendes on Jay Leno? I did click on the link which I was brought to the website and then I had typed in Sergio Mendes in the search. A few videos were brought up icluding a rare video of Olympia in 1984. I clicked on the Jay Leno video and all of sudden this pops up:
"This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner NBC because its content was used without permission.".

So folks, I AM ANGRY and I AM DISAPPOINTED and somebody has some explaining to do....... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom