Sergio Mendes in Detroit Aug. 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_66_Fan

Just saw a spot on TV for Detroit's Chene Park jazz concert series - Sergio Mendes is scheduled for Wednesday, August 21st, with prices ranging from $12.00 (lawn) to $35.00 (orchestra pit), plus 'fees'. Never been there before, but I believe Rudy stated (about 10 years ago)that acoustics there were terrible. Unfortunately, I may be in Washington D.C. on that date.....

I've been to Chene Park twice and you're right, Tim: acoustics are nasty. There is a clamshell dome over the top, and while it was treated with hanging canvas, it had about an eight second decay on the reverb. For one of the gigs with Yellowjackets, I spent the evening onstage off to the side and at least got to hear things better. But for David Sanborn, I had some seats off to the side, and aside from Sanborn's bright style of playing, the overly bright PA system and the decay, the concert was musically fun but a headache sonically. I am hoping they've treated it further in recent years--it's probably been 11 or 12 years since Sanborn played there!

Jean-Luc Ponty's live recording Live at Chene Park was of course recorded there, and fortunately you don't hear the massive reverb, since all of the instruments were close-mic'ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom