Sergio Mendes TIMELESS: Comments and poll

What is your favorite song on TIMELESS?

• Mas Que Nada (Mah-sh Keh Nah-da)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • That Heat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berimbau/Consolacao (Beh-rim-bao/Con-soh-lah-soun)

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • The Frog

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Let Me

• Bananeira (Bah-nah-nay-rah) (Banana Tree)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Surfboard

• Please Baby Don't

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Samba Da Bencao (Samba Of The Blessing)

• Timeless

• Loose Ends

• Fo’-Hop (Por Tras de Bras de Pina)

• Lamento (No Morro)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • E Menina (Hey Girl)

• Yes, Yes Y'All

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but Will I. Am was supposed to be the big youth magnet that would carry Sergio to the top of the charts - If I recall, two or three other BEP-accociated rap acts (were the Pussycat Dolls one of them?) were comfortably in the top 20, maybe even the top 10 by the time TIMELESS was released. The BAP may have helped him get into the top 50 ever so briefly, but it clearly did not satiisfy the mainstream rap audience nor the majority of us older Sergio fans.

I think I said it earlier in this thread (or some thread), but TIMELESS wasn't edgy/dirty/funny enough to be a hit rap album and it wasn't Sergio-ish enough to satisfy his longtime fans. Add that fact to some BEP curiosity from the will.i.am fans + some bad word of mouth from the rap community (the younger ones who only care about filth, that is) = a quick top 50 debut, but low overall sales and a quick drop off the charts. If the whole album had had explicit lyrics about Brazilian booty calls, it might have done better with the kids. Sad but probably true.

I agree, Mike. I can't help wondering if Sergio might have had a REAL chart smash (a la Manilow) if he had appealed more to us longtime fans and made a "Sergio N' Friends"CD with bossa and jazz artists and special guest appearances by people like Herb, Lani and (if those fences with Ms. Phillip could ever be mended) Karen, while inclding a few wild-cards like Stevie Wonder or Steve and Eydie (I'm not kidding)!

MasterLcZ said:
...It clearly did not satiisfy the mainstream Rap audience, nor the majority of us older Sergio fans...

Back to the Drawing Board...! :laugh:

Mike Blakesley said:
...If the whole album had had explicit lyrics about Brazilian booty calls, it might have done better with the kids... ...Sad but probably true!

You're sadly right; Subject Matter has certainly changed as far as what's "Cool to Listen To..." :confused:

Dave

Here's further evidence that indicates that Sergio might have had MORE sucess if he had targeted "Timless" to us oldersters:

Music-loving mums rock CD sales
By David Sillito
BBC News arts correspondent

Many middle-aged parents are now buying more CDs than their teenage children, according to figures from the British Phonographic Industry (BPI).

Neil Sedaka is benefiting from a more mature audience
In 1963, Neil Sedaka was a teen pop sensation who thought his career was over. Forty-three years later, he's playing at the Royal Albert Hall and has just had another UK top 20 album.

And he is not alone. Over the last few weeks, Andrea Bocelli, Russell Watson, Il Divo, The Carpenters, Barry Manilow, David Essex and Johnny Mathis have all had hit albums.

The top 100 is strewn with records that can only be described as easy listening.

And it is all a reflection of a significant change in the music industry - the power of "mum rock".

Forty-somethings now buy more than twice as many pop CDs as teenagers and the gap is growing every year.

So what is happening?

Downloading is one factor explaining why teenagers are buying fewer CDs, especially when it comes to compilation albums. But there is another trend - older people are buying more music and going to more concerts.

The average teenage record buyer now spends 25% less on CDs than they did five years ago, whereas the average 60-something CD purchaser is spending 30% more.

For the last five years, sales to under-30s have been going down - from 43% to 34%. Older consumers (over 40s), especially women, have been increasing their share of the market - from 33.5% to 45%. And the biggest growth is among older women. Women over 50 now buy almost twice as many albums as teenage girls and the charts are now reflecting their tastes.

Lifelong fans

So what accounts for the change? One reason is that today's 50- and 60-somethings have grown up with a culture of music buying. Buying records is often a habit that begins in youth and carries on through life.

But there is also a big change in the way CDs are sold.
Supermarkets now make up a large part of the retail market. Sales have gone from around 12 million in 2000 to around 40 million a year today.
Prices have also fallen, making a CD an impulse purchase that can be popped in with the groceries rather than an expensive treat that could only be acquired by visiting often dark and noisy music stores.
But on a more general point, it means the generation gap that used to be reflected by music is fast disappearing and it is the 40- and 50-somethings who are now pop's biggest fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4923312.stm

Boy Viramundo surprised me by sending me "Timeless"as gift. I LOVED this recording. I think Sergio has "adapted" to the times. The music is better than I expected. I was familiar with most of the tunes. I own a Brazilian release by the great Joao Donato a wonderful composer/musician. Jobims last recording from 94 entitled "Antonio Brasileiro" (?) is also magnificent.
"Timeless" is a wonderful cd. If this cd gets proper airplay, it could be a huge smash.
Since I first heard Sergio's music, It became obvious :thumbsup: he was one of the GREATS! Plus the man has an ear/eye for great female talents. Gracinha, Lani, and all the other female singers have their place in music History.

Chris Martin said:
I wonder why the three Brasil 66-titled "covers" were featured as the first three tracks?

Cause they're GREAT songs and nothing else sounds better than them - still.....

I listened to clips from the album and thought they were absolutely awful. I'm glad I didn't put my money on that album. :thumbsdn:

I actually recommended Timeless to someone waiting in line behind me at a store, who was commenting on a Black-Eyed Peas song that was coming on the radio... She said "That's not music...", so I mentioned how they appear on "the latest Sergio Mendes album", though warned her that it is also "geared towards the 'Younger Set' (such as the cashier)..."

Dave

...Plugging "This New Product", Online... :)

I've given this CD a fresh listen, and I really believe it's one of Sergio's best recordings. It seems that having "new blood" in his music, has invigorated Sergio musically. He has taken a courageous step into the future. Personally I don't care too much for cRap or Hip-hop even though I have a few cds. The lyrics don't send me. They seem too toxic. Urban Folklore should be more than about "I ME MINE". Perhaps my "conservative views" interfere or cloud my opinions about this subject. To me, music should be about love or about human unity. Not about divisiveness. So I believe Sergio has "uplifted" the new music with his "golden MIDAS touch"! The mixture of Brazilian, with Hip-Hop helps the latter in my view. I think it's a brilliant album, that might just make some of our younger people to ponder into that great musical mine known as MPB. (Musica Popular Brasileira). Kudos to Sergio, and Will.I.Am., Gracinha, etc. :love:

Mike Blakesley said:
Now TIMELESS is released and Fergie from the BEP DOES appear on TIMELESS, so now some people in this forum are eating their words
Including you, apparently....didn't you say once that you would never buy a Sergio album with RAP on it? :laugh:

No as a matter of fact I did not say that I would never buy a Sergio album with rap on it. But I know I did say that I didn't want to be timeless because of Justin Timberlake.please do not put words inside of my mouth.I love and respect all types of music. I nothing against rap music with the exception of gangsta rap.No, Sergio does not have gangsta rap on his album even though I do feel that some lyrics are sexually suggestive.

Justin Timberlake on Sergio's cd? Has Sergio lost his mind? Well, I certainly will not be buying "TIMELESS" because I don't listen to Justin since the Superbowl Incident with Ms. Janet Jackson.

Cortnee: Learn to use the Quote feature, willya? The part of the post above, which you attribute to me, was actually written by YOU. I wrote the sentence after the quote.

I looked up your old post. You indeed said you wouldn't buy TIMELESS because it had Justin Timberlake on it, not rap. My bad. Sorry for not having a photographic memory like yours.

Cortnee said:
Justin Timberlake on Sergio's cd? Has Sergio lost his mind? Well, I certainly will not be buying "TIMELESS" because I don't listen to Justin since the Superbowl Incident with Ms. Janet Jackson.

Well, I wouldn't exactly hate an album just for the sake of hating... Nor could I really call this awful, without being daring enough to buy it and savor the "almost-good" along with "good, bad and ugly", per se...

I sort'a dislike this just because there seems to be an abundance of one Artist (Will.I.Am +/- Black-Eyed Peas) featured, while the more worthy collaboration just seems to be a "One-Shot", with one artist whose involvement is Overdue, (Stevie Wonder) while the other is one (Gracinha Leporace) the "newbies" would probably not understand... As for the John Legend track, I'd say that is the only "Guest Artist" put to good use and in a world where our Young only demand more Sexual Content and really don't appreciate good singing, it is unlikely a John Legend-Sergio Mendes venture is likely to materialize, as opposed to a more likely follow-up with Will.I.Am +/- The Black-Eyed Peas...

Dave

...Stating my valid reason why this didn't really agree with me 100%, Online... :neutral:inkshield:

A "special edition" of TIMELESS will soon be available in Japan, at least. These details were emailed to me from CD Japan:

VIZP-43
Sergio Mendes/TimelessSpecial Edition [CD+DVD] CDA
2900 yen US$25/114.43 Release Date:2006/09/16
Description:Japan original edition of Sergio Mendes's first album in ten years. Features two remixed version (Masters At Work Remix version / Full Phatt Remix version) of "Mais Que Nada" as bonus tracls. Comes with a bonus DVD with the music videos of "Mais Que Nada" and "That Heat," featuring the collaboration works with Black Eyed Peas and Erykah Badu.
URL - http://cdjapan.jp/d.html?KEY=VIZP-43

Harry

Al I have to say is that Sergio had better not make us wait another 10 years for his next album to be relesesd and the next album had better not be a hip-hop album(not that I have anything against hip/hop, I love hip-hop...I grew up on hip-hop.. listening to rappers likes Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, Doug E. Fresh, The Fat Boys, LL Cool J, Salt N Pepa, Mc Lyte, Public Ememy, Kool Moe Dee, Eric B. & Rakim, Whodini, and many others.).It's best that Sergio stick to his initial blend of bossa nova/samba/ pop/rock/jazz/folk Brasil 66 sound.

Doubt if you'll get that wish....he's supposedly working on another album with will-i-am. Hopefully they both read the reviews of TIMELESS, most of which said the album would have been better with less rap. (ALthough I have a feeling there were plenty of B.E.P. fans raving about it, and wishing there was MORE rap.) Can't please everyone, clearly.

I just saw the international version here at a Starbucks in Bahrain. It comes in jewel case, same front cover art, but the back has the song list between Will and Sergio each standing at either side of the back image. Not sure if it has those bonus cuts or not (I didn't have my reading glasses, dammit).

Cute touch: the sticker stating "Contains the hits..." is shaped like a cartoon word balloon so it looks like Sergio is saying it...

--Mr Bill

Mr. Bill: Just have someone hold it a few feet from your eyes. That's gonna have to be my plan pretty soon, unfortunately. Sometimes the dagnab microscopic print is too small to be seen that far way though!

Here's an interesting, related tid-bit. It seems that the highly-promoted "SexyBack", the new single by Justin Timberlake (one of the 'hot young acts' brought in by Will.I.Am for TIMELESS) has gone belly-up on the Billboard charts, reaching a high of # 82 before falling off the charts completely.

Mike Blakesley said:
Mr. Bill: Just have someone hold it a few feet from your eyes. That's gonna have to be my plan pretty soon, unfortunately. Sometimes the dagnab microscopic print is too small to be seen that far way though!

I *just* broke down last week and finally had my eyes examined for the dreaded middle-age reading glasses. They should be here by next week. At last I can catch up on all the CD booklet liner notes I haven't been able to decipher over the past year or so. :cool:

"SexyBack", the new single by Justin Timberlake (one of the 'hot young acts' brought in by Will.I.Am for TIMELESS) has gone belly-up on the Billboard charts, reaching a high of # 82 before falling off the charts completely.
Billboard actually gave that single a really bad review. I haven't heard it myself, but they called it a bad comeback effort.

Is the 'Brasilian Aura' of her appearance in the multi-artist Timeless still present in Fergie, the lead singer, "The Duchess" and 1/4-member of The Black-Eyed Peas?

Or despite the "La, La, La's" heard in her debut single, London Bridge is she back to being a "Not-So-...La, La, La...-Lani"...??

B000H4VV5C.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_V59239150_.jpg

As for Me, I'm thinking it's "Back to the same old Monkey Business" of her Former Group...

Dave
monkey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom