Sergio Mendes TIMELESS: Comments and poll

What is your favorite song on TIMELESS?

• Mas Que Nada (Mah-sh Keh Nah-da)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • That Heat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berimbau/Consolacao (Beh-rim-bao/Con-soh-lah-soun)

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • The Frog

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Let Me

• Bananeira (Bah-nah-nay-rah) (Banana Tree)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Surfboard

• Please Baby Don't

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Samba Da Bencao (Samba Of The Blessing)

• Timeless

• Loose Ends

• Fo’-Hop (Por Tras de Bras de Pina)

• Lamento (No Morro)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • E Menina (Hey Girl)

• Yes, Yes Y'All

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave said:
...I'm thinking it's "Back to the same old Monkey Business" of her Former Group...

monkey.gif

Pardon me for asking, but what was her "former group" before BEP? I didn't know she came to them from another group.

--Mr Bill
though I did know BEP existed for an album or two before she joined BEP (and those albums are pretty much sucky plain Rap)

Mr Bill said:
Dave said:
...I'm thinking it's "Back to the same old Monkey Business" of...

monkey.gif

Pardon me for asking, but what was her "former group" before Black-Eyed Peas...? I didn't know she...

--Mr Bill

Well, by "Former Group" I MEANT Black-Eyed Peas... I know her Solo project is probably NOT meant by an Official Split-Up from her group... (nor was Timeless...) I didn't know she had any origin before joining Black-Eyed Peas--let alone that there were any Black-Eyed Peas albums WITHOUT her...
hissyfit.gif

Dave

Actually I'll bet Fergie is out of the BEP within an album or two. Haven't seen it to fail yet....she will follow in the footsteps of many other singers who would "never leave the group no matter what."

... Phil Collins, Lionel Richie, Beyonce and Stevie Nicks (OK she went back, but still) all come to mind immediately but there are others.

Once that first solo album hits the racks and the singer gets all the money him/herself, rather than having to split it with four or five other blokes, it's all over but the crying.

As I said, a lot of Sergio's "guests" here seem to have returned to "their previous styles"... Unless the next Sergio+Guest Artists Effort is about "their usual Stock in Trade" or conatining "their specialty in Mature Content", then their collaboration with Sergio Mendes and making Brasilian Music is So Over With...! 'Specially for this Individual...:

B000H0MH4U.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_V41401604_.jpg

dancecpatch.gif

"Sexy Back", eh??!! :o --I mean Sergio let This Guy work with him...?! :shock: ...Or that is, --THIS GUY was on a Sergio Mendes Album?! :wtf:

Dave

Dave said:
As I said, a lot of Sergio's "guests" here seem to have returned to "their previous styles"... Unless the next Sergio+Guest Artists Effort is about "their usual Stock in Trade" or conatining "their specialty in Mature Content", then their collaboration with Sergio Mendes and making Brasilian Music is So Over With...! 'Specially for this Individual...:
Dave

I don't understand what you guys are expecting from Sergio's guests on TIMELESS. Are you actually expecting the guests to " convert" into " Brazilian musicianism" LOL! :tongue: You guys are being UNREALISTIC and SILLY. Please come back to the REAL WORLD.

Don't accuse all of us for the actions or words of some.

I got exactly what I expected from TIMELESS, and was pleased overall with the results.

Harry

Well for once I'm in agreement with Cortnee on something. As a rule, when an artist guests on another's album, the guest continues to do music in their own style. There's nothing unusual about that, it happens all the time. To expect any of those guest artists on TIMELESS to have a Brazilian epiphany and decide to do more Brazilian music would be a huge stretch.

Harry and Cortnee are on the same page AFAIC.

Timeless was exactly what I expected it to be -- no more, no less (despite my hope it would be a bit more Brazilian). Like Harry, I got what I expected and was neither blown away nor disappointed. Just "satisfied."

--Mr Bill
listening to it now in Cabo...

Well, nothing like "challenging a friendly debate" on this... :angel:

Yes, Timeless does meet the Brasilian "quota" for Sergio's fans and contains the usual fare to make it appeal to The Kiddie Set...

Just that it's intriguing to see Where They Are Now--Sergio's Guests, A.M. (A. -fter M. -endes!) :laugh:

--For a lot of these Younger Performers after their Brief Appearance in The Music World after being on "The Other Side Of The Tracks"...! :)

Also, I find it incredible that these artists are versatile enough to show "this other dimension" in their Careers... They are now still making an equal prescence on The Charts doing their usual thing afterwards...

I would expect the Next Similar Effort if it emerges to contain these Artists, as well as whatever other New Ones have since emerged, as well...

Dave

MasterLcZ said:
In the end, how well did TIMELESS sell?

The last press release I saw said over 100K units, which is easily Sergio's biggest selling album in decades.

I'm glad for Sergio, Jeff... but I have this fear that this means that his future albums may be even less appealing for us older fans than TIMELESS was.

MasterLcZ said:
I'm glad for Sergio, Jeff... but I have this fear that this means that his future albums may be even less appealing for us older fans than TIMELESS was.

Sergio always surprises me. Yes, Timeless left me (largely) cold, but I haven't given up hope. Look at his post-Magic Lady run. Let's keep fingers (and toes) crossed. :laugh:

Harry said:

I got exactly what I expected from TIMELESS, and was pleased overall with the results.

Harry

My sincere apologies to you Harry and to anyone else that I may have struck a nerve with the " silly and unrealistic " statement.

Cortnee said:
Harry said:

Harry

My sincere apologies to you Harry and to anyone else that I may have struck a nerve with the " silly and unrealistic " statement.

No problem at all. I just didn't want generalizations made that don't apply to everyone. Plenty of us here have quite a bit of affection for TIMELESS, recognize it for what it is, and can accept it just fine.

There are apparently others who feel the opposite way, and their opinions should be respected too.

Harry

Plenty of us here have quite a bit of affection for TIMELESS, recognize it for what it is, and can accept it just fine.

Inspired by this resurrected thread, I pulled out TIMELESS and listened to it while doing computer work last night. Two things struck me: First, the album could do with a bit of editing. Many artists put 80 minutes of music on a CD simply because they CAN, while some of the greatest works of recorded music are less than 30 minutes (or less than 2 minutes!) long. Excising a couple of songs from TIMELESS would make it a more even listen. As it is, it's kind of uneven (which I know adds to the appeal for some.) "Surfboard" for sure would get the axe from me.

The other thing I noticed: The closing track, "Yes Yes Y'all," is weak. The ending song on an album should make you want to hear the whole thing again...this song doesn't do that for me. A better closing track would have been "Timeless" or one of the Brasilian tracks in the latter half of the disk.

Overall though I liked the album better on this re-hearing than my initial impression.

...You will convert to Brasilian Musicism..., You will convert to Brasilian Musicism..., You will convert to Brasilian Musicism..., You will convert...

It usually is by Re-Hearing that my view on an Artist's(s') effort I usually dismiss as being (Insert "Bad Word" Here), I suddenly am "Won Over By"--after Buying it Again, too! :laugh:

Glad this album has served its purpose to many here and there are those of us who have gotten out of it what we wanted or at least expected...

My comments are simply relating to how the Radio Station that plays these artists certainly by no means ever played them "with Sergio, right HERE" but as you normally hear them, before and after their appearance on this release...

I just merely wanted to comment on how they are still a relevency with their current audience... I guess I shouldn't have expected them to REALLY resigned themselves to "forever thereafter recording in some Brasilian fashion" or given such an dimpression, but some of us admittedly did want some "style" or "genre" to be embraced or be some current trend even if it is just another "passing thing"... Nice that there was at least even temporarily a good collaboration of "different musical worlds" even if it was brief... I look forward to the next effort and it being made with whatever artists and genre of music it will be geared towards that this will be...

Dave

...Probably inspiring, yet another debate, here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom