SERGIO SIGNED TO A&M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Bill said:
[next thing someone will tell me "Avril Lavigne" is pronounced "April Le Veen" and not "AV rel La VIG nee"

It's pronounced Av' - ril Le - veen'. She's the 'angriest' of the current troika of young female singer/songwriters that also includes Vanessa Carlton and Michelle Branch.

Harry
...whose last name is almost always mispronounced, online...

Mr Bill said:
You know, I AM holding back a serious diatribe on this "pronunciation" issue. I'll save it for FAO, I guess. Ebonics aside, I am one who sticks to the rules of American English pronunciation... much to the annoyance of my family and friends (and younger coworkers who have some whacked up names from their generation)...

--Mr Bill
about to launch. Bette's Davis and Midler... I'm sorry they're either both "Bet" or "Betty" -- and you can guess which way I go on that since I don't drive a Corvetty or smoke a cigaretty...

I know what you mean...I used to watch CHY CHY ROD RI GWEEZE play golf on TV while I petted my CHEE HOOAH HOOAH on my lap...then I saw Forrest Gump and was introduced to MYKELTI WILLIAMSON...[Michael T ...].....

Dan

Harry said:

Okay. I'll bite. NAY-Hart... ? ? ?

--Mr Bill
realizingwe've drifted drastically off-topic and wondering how many of us have names no one is pronouncing correctly... ROO-dish, Bah-CAR-dee, GOW-dee, si-DOOR-uk, etc...

Harry said:
It's pronounced Av' - ril Le - veen'.

Oh for cryin out loud! Why can't she spell it "LEVINE" like every other jewish person I know (and our own exalted Larry)??? Screw it! I'm still going to call her La-VIG-knee just to annoy my kids and my young co-workers...

--Mr Bill
who can't figure out why the female character in Harry Potter pronounces her name Her-MY-knee when it should be Her-me-OWN....

It's pronounced "Erika Buddoo" as in rose-bud -- not "bad" -- we saw her in the City last year. I'm quite a fan. It'll be interesting to see what she and Sergio come up with. :wink:

Jon

Mr Bill said:
Harry said:

Okay. I'll bite. NAY-Hart... ? ? ?

--Mr Bill
realizingwe've drifted drastically off-topic and wondering how many of us have names no one is pronouncing correctly... ROO-dish, Bah-CAR-dee, GOW-dee, si-DOOR-uk, etc...

Nope. Told you!

It's pronounced NYE'-heart, like Louis Nye with a heart.

Harry
...telling Mr. GO'-dee how to pronounce my name, online...

Well there you go. Make the "Y" and the "E" trade places and everyone should be able to pronounce it...

As for your "mispronunciation" of my name, well theat IS one of the ways people say it. THe mispronunciation that really throws me, though is people's tendency to add an "R" after the "G" (or the "D")!!! I'm even on mailing lists with it SPELLED with that curious "R"... Go figure!

Maybe I should change my spelling to match the modern music freakazoids: Ouillyam Goughtie

--Mr Bill
well, maybe some public school educated folks would still have trouble, but I digress...

This has been an eye-opening thread. I mean, I always assumed it was "Nay-hart" and "Gow-dee". Think nothing of it. I get mail for "Jon Skinne", "Jon Skinny" and "John Skiner" all the time. How difficult can it possibly be to say "Skinner?"

In a nutshell, our name came about in old Scotland. King McGregor had a daughter who fell in love with his "mule skinner" (leather worker). Of course, this was forbidden by the King who insisted the "skinner" stay away from his daughter. However, the "skinner" was determined to have the daughter, so he simply beheaded the king and married the daughter who became a "Skinner".

If you look at the Skinner family crest today, you'll see the "McGregor" emblem on the bottom left side of the four names (French, Irish, Scottish and Prussian) that make up the crest itself.

Jon

...wondering if perhaps he might own the rights to a "McGregor Castle" somewhere in the Land 'O Green, online... :wink:

And y'all wonder why I just have ya call me "Rudy" eh? :wink:

It has indeed been an interesting thread! Gowdy's are an offshoot of the MacGregor name as well, Jon. I can't believe anyone would spell it with just one "N" as that would make it "SKY-ner"... ROO-dish -- I know that from your visit where I think it was the first thing I asked after you guys got out of your car....

--Mr Bill
Gowdy... rhymes with "Howdy."

With the Black Eyed Peas( future Mendes producer and new A&M exec will.I.am's group) album out this week,Billboard has reported a little snafu. MTV has been playing a video by a rock group called Black Keys,but they have mistakenly labeled the video as being by Black Eyed Peas,also labeling the song as coming from BEP's ELEPHUNK(not to be confused with the White Stripes' current hit album ELEPHANT). According to the story,the Black Keys video is also to be featured on MTV2's "Subterranean" but their source has no idea what video the network will actually play. This kind of confusion can be deadly,since one spin on MTV is worth boatloads more than a radio spin for stores stocking and/or featuring an album in promotions. Such confusion at the beginning of a career can cancel the good/bad effects for both-possibly stomping on two careers at once. Mac

Brasil_66_Fan said:
How about this Can Of Worms: Is it Men-DES or MEN-des?? I've heard it both ways ever since I can remember....!?!

Lani pronounces it as: Ser-jio MEN-des if that's any help? Gracinha, of course, pronounces it with her accent: SER-jio.

Jon

...having heard it pronounced both ways ever since I can remember as well, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom