Sergio's Love Music CD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

At Amazon:

Love Music [IMPORT]
Sergio Mendes, Brasil 77

List Price: $29.49
Price: $29.49 & This item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See details.

Availability: This item will be released on May 26, 2003. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

Great news. But wait -- there's more. Not only LOVE MUSIC, but VINTAGE '74 too! (Though that one's not yet listed at amazon.com, but can be found at HMV in Japan).

Here is the artwork:

946.jpg
930.jpg

Both are listed as being released on May 21, 2003.

I wonder if there'll be any bonus tracks, like the non-album single that no-one can recall?

Harry
...excited about these two Bell releases, online...

Both are listed at good ol' Dusty Groove's site too.

Harry
...wishing IN CONCERT would make it to CD, online...

Well THIS announcement just dried up the bootleg market! :D

Good to hear. A&M? Take note! :D

"There's been a change in the weather, a change in the sea...but I never thought I'd see these on CD!" Hallelujah and Amen!! How nice it is to see these classics finally released on CD.

I'm with Harry...now it's time for In Concert to find its way to the silver disc! :wink:

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Neither of these two albums are anywhere near my top favorite Mendes titles, but they each have songs that ARE in my favorites list (specifically, the Lambert & Potter songs).

Great news!

I have the box-set, which contains enough of the pre-A&M Sergio for me. With these releases, the only Mendes albums since HERB ALPERT PRESENTS I won't have on CD will be CONFETTI and the two self-titled SERGIO MENDES albums, but I don't particularly like those much anyway, so my Mendes-collection will be complete until the SACDs start coming out! :rolleyes:

The only thing I'm wondering about...since they changed the LOVE MUSIC artwork to be a little more contemporary-looking, why the #%$! didnt' they change the VINTAGE 74 cover, which is hands down the worst looking album in the Mendes catalog (except possibly MAGIC LADY)??

Mike Blakesley said:
The only thing I'm wondering about...since they changed the LOVE MUSIC artwork to be a little more contemporary-looking, why the #%$! didnt' they change the VINTAGE 74 cover, which is hands down the worst looking album in the Mendes catalog (except possibly MAGIC LADY)??

Really? You don't like the artwork on Vintage 74? I thought it was a lot better than Love Music. Only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that the inside photo was "antiqued" and isn't clear. Otherwise, I've always liked Vintage.

As for Magic Lady...I'll take it any day over Confetti (artwork and content-wise!) This is my own humble opinion, of course. Some folks will pay hundreds of dollars for a copy of Brasil '86. I'm happy with the copy I found in a used bin (the CD that is) for about nine dollars. Either way, I agree with you, Mike. It would be interesting to see updated artwork on both Bell albums. On the other side of the coin, it's nice to see original artwork as well. Kind of a two-edged sword, you know? :wink:

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Regarding Sergio or any reissue, I'm usually a traditionalist when it comes to cover art. I prefer to have the original art preserved in most cases. If not, at least have a facsimile of it inside. It sort of bothers me when the cover art is changed for no apparent reason, or an "alternate" cover is used.

I'm with you on this, though there have been times when unpublished pics and little surprises sweeten the pot. However, like you, I'd like to see original cover art on the outside; surprises on the inside. (sounds like an ad for "Shake & Bake!) :tongue:

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

The CD reissue Love Music front cover actually looks like a slightly modified version of the back cover, eliminating the images of some of the musicians. I agree -- keep the covers faithful to the original release but fill the inside (booklet AND disc) with extras not seen the first time around....

--Mr Bill

Inside the booklet, yes--fill 'er up with extras! Musician credits, lyrics, maybe an interview or two with one of the musicians or producer, extra session photos...all worthy additions.

Love Music actually had at least 3 different covers for different markets--I own different covers for UK and German pressings (though, strangely, I own another German pressing which reproduces the "original" US cover). The same can be said for the Elektra "Sergio Mendes" (which, aside from the different cover, was released in Brasil as "I Believe") and "In Concert," which I have with no fewer than FOUR different covers!

I just think the VINTAGE cover is sorta "silly," because the picture was taken long before '74 and really has nothing to do with the music. I wish they'd have used that inside picture for the front cover. It really conveys the spirit of the album a lot better, for me anyway.

I'm clueless why they changed the front of LOVE MUSIC....maybe they just couldn't find a clean copy of the original to work from.

JMK said:
...and "In Concert," which I have with no fewer than FOUR different covers!

Really? I have the A&M version in orange with the couple dancing on the front; no liner notes. My other copy is the MFP version (is it MFP? The album is in a storage unit in Florida...I haven't seen it in a couple of years!) It has a sunset (behind a glider) with liner notes on the back.

Interesting to note that one version seems to be in Stereo format; the other Mono. Am I imagining things? :rolleyes:

Jon

Mike Blakesley said:
I just think the VINTAGE cover is sorta "silly," because the picture was taken long before '74 and really has nothing to do with the music. I wish they'd have used that inside picture for the front cover. It really conveys the spirit of the album a lot better, for me anyway.

I think they were going (art-wise) for something along the lines of a "concept" album...Sergio on the cover as a child, Vintage (whatever year); Sergio on the back, Vintage '74. Other than the fact that the inside photo is "antiqued," as I said, it's an interesting cover. I kind of like it. :wink:

Jon

The "Love Music" quality of artwork has got to rank as the worst ever. Bell Records seemed to go out of their way to produce an inferior product (not musically though). The absolute opposite of A&M.
Brings to mind the line: "This place has great food- they just prepare it lousy." :wink:

Mr Bill said:
The CD reissue Love Music front cover actually looks like a slightly modified version of the back cover, eliminating the images of some of the musicians. I agree -- keep the covers faithful to the original release but fill the inside (booklet AND disc) with extras not seen the first time around....

--Mr Bill
....but in this case-anything will help! Now maybe we can concentrate on the music and not that Godawful original cover!!!

I am glad the releasing company didn't read the results of the poll on Love Music. I am very happy about Vintage 74 being released. All the copies have that hiss from the "s" sounds.

Question for "Brasil Nut": Is that the Miss Karen Philipp for your pic? Where did you find that hipster pic of her? I still find Soap Opera Digest pics of her, but nothing that posed.

Trevor said:
...All the copies have that hiss from the "s" sounds.

Question for "Brasil Nut": Is that the Miss Karen Philipp for your pic? Where did you find that hipster pic of her? I still find Soap Opera Digest pics of her, but nothing that posed.

That damn "hiss" is horrible, isn't it? I always thought it was Bonnie's way of singing, until I saw her live and realized it was the recording method and not her. Although Bonnie was known for a bit of a lisp, the Bell recordings seem to bring it out. I agree, Trevor. All the way across the board.

You have a good eye! My Avatar is, indeed, my favorite Sergio girl, Miss Karen Philipp :wink: . It's a photo from a 1973 TV Guide article titled, "Expertly Played By Karen Philipp," in reference to her role in the TV movie "A Brand New Life" (with Cloris Leachman) where she played an expectant mother.

Jon

Trevor said:
I am glad the releasing company didn't read the results of the poll on Love Music. I am very happy about Vintage 74 being released. All the copies have that hiss from the "s" sounds.

Sillibance...one of the nightmares of vinyl. It was either an overdriven cutting head, or (more likely) mistracking of the phono cartridge....especially what would have been available in the 70's when the albums were new. Bell was not exactly an audiophile label either. :wink: I bought a lot of dance/R&B records that suffered the same fate...which mostly cleared up when I bought a decent cartridge.

Hopefully this is gone from the CDs...if not, then it would point to a distorted microphone or overloaded vocal track on the tape.

Howdy all,

I have the Sergio Mendes Special (Japanese compilation album), and it doesn't have that hiss that Trevor was referring to. Neither does the Superstition 45 that I have. (I think I am the only one who really likes Sergio's version of Superstition.) And I totally agree with Jon (Hi, Jon, I love your picture of Karen), I think Bonnie's voice contributes to the hiss.

brandon

Brasil6699 said:
Howdy all,

I have the Sergio Mendes Special (Japanese compilation album), and it doesn't have that hiss that Trevor was referring to. Neither does the Superstition 45 that I have. (I think I am the only one who really likes Sergio's version of Superstition.) And I totally agree with Jon (Hi, Jon, I love your picture of Karen), I think Bonnie's voice contributes to the hiss.

brandon

Brandon! ('sup dude? I haven't seen you since the Sergio performance last year at Bimbo's!), I've noticed that other albums don't have that darn hiss. Superstition (IMHO) is just kind of far out in comparison to the rest of the material on Vintage '74, that's all. When making cassette copies (years ago) and later burning Vintage '74 onto CD, I always put Superstition at the end of the album -- it seemed like a good closer to me.

It's kind of like One More Lie on Brasil '88. Although I really like the song, (to me) it always sounded like a hold-over from New Brasil '77. I don't necessarily dislike Superstition, per se. I just think it's out of place with the rest of the album.

I'm glad you like my pic of Karen! It's fun, unusual and shows her fun side. Seems she didn't smile in a great deal of photos. This pic shows a happy-go-lucky bombshell -- the way I remember her on stage -- my favorite memory of Karen Philipp. :wink:

Jon

Talking about reissues... I heard sergio mendes' version of "This Masquerade" on an easy-listening station a few years ago-does anyone know which album it appeared on?it had a good bossa-nova arrangement,though not as jazzy as Karen Carpenter's version.(I assume Sergio heard it on Karen's NOW AND THEN album,and then recorded it sometime after 1973).Also,an honorable mention should be made of the track "Stillness" featuring Lani Hall.I heard that cut on the British 2-CD "Very Best of Brasil '66".Definitely one of the best Brasil '66 tracks.

mr J. said:
Talking about reissues... I heard sergio mendes' version of "This Masquerade" on an easy-listening station a few years ago-does anyone know which album it appeared on?.

"This Masquerade" appears on Vintage '74, which has recently been re-released in CD format. The vocalist is Bonnie Bowden.

mr J. said:
it had a good bossa-nova arrangement,though not as jazzy as Karen Carpenter's version.(I assume Sergio heard it on Karen's NOW AND THEN album,and then recorded it sometime after 1973).Also,an honorable mention should be made of the track "Stillness" featuring Lani Hall.I heard that cut on the British 2-CD "Very Best of Brasil '66".Definitely one of the best Brasil '66 tracks.

Yeah, "Stillness" opens and closes the Brasil '66 album of the same name. Lani puts a great deal of emotion into the song, doesn't she? You can feel the sun rise and set as she tells the story...masterful.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom