Sergios Mendes - Timeless useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

dostros

In a rare mood of magnanimity towards the CD format, I left my turntable turned off and placed Sergios Mendes' Timeless album into the disk tray. That lasted a few minutes.

Talk about a wretched travesty. This has doubtless been discussed at length here, but it just added weight to my feeling the rap became big because digital formats aren't made for music.

Merry Christmas.

Whoops wrong forum. Just an indignant diatribe anyway for having been unwittingly exposed to that for a couple of minutes.

You should listen past track 1. There are several non-rap tunes on that album which are quite good, and even one of the raps ("That Heat") has managed to make it onto one of my many "best of Sergio" compilations.

I'm no Rap-Fan (I insist soeone erased the "C" in front of this category of "music") but I find most of Timeless enjoyable. Morning in Rio (the follow up) is even more enjoyable. Like others say, after the first cut it gets better. They no doubt started the disc off that way to hook younger "hip(hop)per" listeners on the disc.

--Mr Bill
who loves DJ's sig line: "Rap is to Music what Etch-A-Sketch is to Art"

dostros said:
Whoops wrong forum. Just an indignant diatribe anyway for having been unwittingly exposed to that for a couple of minutes.

I feel your pain! :D

And I've moved the thread over to Brasil land... :wink:

I'm not a huge fan of rap, but I have to admit I laughed at the line "b@@bies like tooties that fog up your goggles." :laugh:

Morning in Rio (the follow up) is even more enjoyable.
Or as it's more commonly known, ENCANTO. But yeah, for the "classic" Sergio fan, it's better -- less focused on the "modern" sounds.

Mike Blakesley said:
Morning in Rio (the follow up) is even more enjoyable.
Or as it's more commonly known, ENCANTO.

I know... That's because I bought the Japanese version with the alternate title...

--Mr. Bill

Well, thanks all - I will skip the first track and see what happens after that. It's attractive packaging for a CD, that's for sure.

Be sure to check out the song Berimbau/Consolacao. It is a great combo of classic Sergio filtered through a more modern beat. It's my favorite song on there.

Some of the rap doesn't sit well with me, BUT...I'm saying that as I sit here listening to my Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five The Message album... :laugh:

Rudy said:
...I sit here listening to my Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five The Message album... :laugh:

Ah! Back when rap was good with a positive message! "The Message" and "White Lines" (Grandmaster Melle Mel) are two rap songs with decent messages.... It's too bad later rappers ruined this niche genre by adding profanity and glorifying criminal behavior -- not just in lyrics but in their silly "rap names" as well

--Mr Bill
"You're listening to KRAP-FM, Crenshaw's Rap leader, and that was 'F*ck the Poe-leece' by Doggy Blow-Dog Reacharound...."

A mother and her 8-year-old were in the HMV yesterday and I heard her saying to her daughter that there were "bad words" on the CD she was looking at, as the in-store ambient music played "Sexy Bitch" (David Guetta?)

Mr Bill said:
Ah! Back when rap was good with a positive message! "The Message" and "White Lines" (Grandmaster Melle Mel) are two rap songs with decent messages....

I was reacquainting myself with "The Message" and it struck me how true the lyrics are today. Mostly about hardship and dealing with it (or not). "White Lines" is a hard blast against cocaine use, and I only recently (in the past few years) discovered it. Never realized what a good song it was!

Mr Bill said:
It's too bad later rappers ruined this niche genre by adding profanity and glorifying criminal behavior -- not just in lyrics but in their silly "rap names" as well

I don't have much use for "gangsta" rap either. There are messages in those as well, but like you I don't care for the glorifying of that lifestyle. You'd think if they were really true to their "message", they'd discourage, rather than encourage, the trials and tribulations...

I hated TIMELESS at first, too. But now I actually enjoy most of it - though I play it far less often than ENCANTO, which really is terrific from start to finish (OK, I don't like the Natalie Cole track).

I think I'm also more relaxed about TIMELESS because I've (and everybody here) has been thirsting for a new Sergio release for over ten years, and when TIMELESS came out, I felt "I waited TEN YEARS for THIS?!?" :mad:

When ENCANTO came out, I (and everybody here) gave a huge sigh of relief that the 'old' Sergio was still there and that I didn't have to wait another decade for a follow-up. So TIMELESS deserved another listen. When I realized that it was a transition album ("It's just a phase!") I could be more accepting. And I decided that Will.I.Am. deserved credit for getting Sergio off his butt and back into the recording studio! :) I have to admit, I didn't expect another new Sergio CD for another year or two. The immenent release of BOM TEMPO is a very nice surprise, and I'm feeling hopeful it will be fierce. :D

[/i]

That's a good point about transitional albums.

You can draw a similar conclusion from Herb Alpert's 'NORTH ON SOUTH ST' in '91, with its experiments in hip-hop aimed at the (then) younger audience.

Next -- and relatively quickly -- came 'MIDNIGHT SUN' in '92 with a more traditional flavor. Sergio's just following precedent.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom