Shirley reporting in from the West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakeicer

I would have posted last night, BUT, MSN down as usual, bomb scare in LAX
evacuated airport for 2 hours, missed my plane, rescheduled, flight cancelled due to mechanical difficulties, rerouted myself to S.F. instead of
Oakland, arrived safely but exhausted. Tribute concert was fantastic, aside
from great music, film clips and lot's of laughs, I finally got to meet some very enthusiastic A&M Corner posters. Mr. Bill, DJ, both Steves, Randy, Jeff,
Jay and his wife, I know I will forget to mention someone, sounds like an
Academy Awards speech. Hooked up with my friend Jon Skinner, and let's
see, oh yeah, Leslie was there. Spoke to Herb Alpert and Lani Hall, saw
Miss Marcia Wallace in the lobby, spoke to Cissy Wechter and her Grandsons
after the show. But the biggest kick for me was this- Before the show I was
waiting outside the Alex theatre for Jon Skinner, finally sat down on a bench
next to an older couple, also a younger couple standing next to them. I turned to the older woman and said " I know why we loved the Baja Marimba Band" then turning to the younger woman I said " But can you tell
me how you became interested in their music?" She smiled and asked me if
I knew who this was, pointing to the lady sitting on the bench, I admitted that I didn't and she introduced me to her Grandmother Eleanor Coleman,
Bud Colemans widow. What a grand person she is, we talked for probably
10 minutes while she told me stories of how the song "For Bud" came about.
She says her husband Bud had written two songs, one called "Green" and one called "Blue" he turned them over to Herb Alpert just as he was going into the hospital. When he passed away so suddenly Herb put the songs together and titled it "For Bud." She was very interested in learning more
about the A&M Corner forum and has said she would like to visit it sometime
soon. She must have many interesting tidbits to share about the early A&M
days, I hope she joins us very soon. In the meantime I am waiting for Bill
to post the photos he took that night and hoping for a release of a video of
the show itself. I have changed Internet servers and will update my members list when I sign off. Wish so much that all of you could have been there, but am excited to hear there may be an East Coast show. Please go
if you get the chance, you will love it!
Shirley :D

Shirl-Thanks so much for your newsy account of the tribute.Yeah,like an Academy awards show-but with you instead of the obnoxious Joan and Melissa Rivers-just the right touch. Mac

Thanks Mac,
I do tend to ramble when I am excited about something, and I was excited about this show. I hope all of you who couldn't attend on the West Coast will be able to see this event in NYC. There were a few small glitches, nothing too serious but am sure they will have it smoothed out by then. Nancy Dussault took a fall on stage that made everyone gasp and hope she wasn't seriously hurt, but she was a real trouper and recovered her poise and
made a nice exit. Sue Raney doing "Coney Island" was really good, Bill Dana was still funny doing his "Jose Jiminez" routine, and Sally Kellerman
was so smooth and yes, SEXY doing "Warm" she looked and sounded great.
Just a nice evening! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom