"Singer Presents" and "The Beat Of the Brass"...Why no DVD of either one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_mjb1960

Why are there no Legal DVD of either the 1967 "Singer Presents",nor the "Beat Of the Brass" Special,from 1968? There has been no attempt to do a Proper issue of either of these!

I would say it's because nobody thinks they would sell well enough to make much profit. Either that, or rights/clearances issues for the music, but that's probably not much of a hurdle with Herb's music.

Herb's music wouldn't be the problem rights-wise, but there are other considerations like "Whistle While You Work" at Disneyland, the "California Girls" song with the Merry-Go-Round, the Louis Armstrong stuff, plus, I suspect Herb doesn't own the actual rights to the programs themselves. That's why we got edited versions of them on that VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT video in the UK and Japan.

A close look at the credits of the three TJB TV Specials reveals TJB Television, Inc., which became a California Corporation in 1966 and is still a valid company. I believe H&J own the specials, but have been an 'in the past' thing for Herb. A possible future for these gems would be an airing and a premium item on PBS, which also has a special clearance on rights.

TJB Television, Inc., which became a California Corporation in 1966 and is still a valid company.

Interesting!

I hadn't thought of this before, but it sort-of explains why a special that aired on CBS could show up months later on NBC, but if the networks didn't own it, then it must have been "shopped around".

It seemed SINGER wanted to make a big "crossover" splash into the consumer electronics/audio world around that time --- they not *only* started a line of compact-amplified record changers but they, also, bought the esteemed speaker firm K.L.H. from Henry Kloss (in 1967).

It seemed SINGER wanted to make a big "crossover" splash into the consumer electronics/audio world around that time --- they not *only* started a line of compact-amplified record changers but they, also, bought the esteemed speaker firm K.L.H. from Henry Kloss (in 1967).
In Addition,they also Sponsored Elvis' "Comeback" NBC-TV Special,too,in 1968! BTW,I bought a Singer/BSR Portable Record Changer that Year by My Mom,the first of its kind! (BTW,It ran on either AC or 6 D Batteries! Everything,save for the Tone Arm,Turntable and Loading Arm was removable,even the Spindle!)

BTW,There's a Twofer of Both Specials Combined as one on You Tube,but poorly mastered-All the sound is on one side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom