1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Single]: 16. "SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN"/"MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING" (1648-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Oct 22, 2016.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Side B: "Merry Christmas Darling"

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Thank you, I forgot about those notes. It sounds like it was too. Are those two live Perfs on YouTube?

2. byline

byline Active Member

I so agree with this, Harry. I was baffled as to why this remarkable arrangement was not included on their Christmas album. I never got the song as a single, but I do remember buying this album, Goodyear - The Great Songs of Christmas, specifically because it included this recording: Goodyear Great Songs of Christmas CD, Album, Record ยป

3. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

And, if I did not already think ballad Santa Claus was stellar in every particular,
    the Liner Notes to
    Sweet Sixteen state that... "Karen recorded the lead in One Take..."

Phenomenal !

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

I love 'Merry Christmas, Darling', but nothing can beat Karen's vocal, Richard's arrangement and his and the band's performance on 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town'. Btw, on 'Merry Christmas, Darling', I prefer Karen's vocal on the original 1970 single version, rather than the later remake.

Eyewire likes this.
  5. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

It's a "dead heat" for me. Sterling A-Side rendition, with the horns coming in and Bob Messenger with another big sax solo perfectly placed. I like the "jazzy" feel of it. Very nice! B-Side has become a Christmas standard on most holiday music line-ups. I love the Karen vocal. Just sings it so beautifully and with most of their similar holiday work, there is that little intro to the song that seems to be their signature. "Greeting cards have all been sent..." I also like Side-B because The Carpenters made Frank Pooler immortal in a way and how he "teared-up" when he heard Richard's arrangement and Karen's vocals for the first time.

6. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I listened to this single today,
    and, regards
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town:
    The first Sax solo is much beefier than the more-laid-back later sax solo--
    thus, I still gravitate to the 1974 original.

Now, the 1984 version ( as heard on the Christmas Collection 2-cd set)
    also has--at the very end of the song--
    the sound of the bells (or, whatever they are),
    which is not on the original 1974 single (1468-s).

7. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Santa. Cuz I'm a pushover for Karen Carpenter's lower register displayed here profoundly.

8. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

I just played this 45 this morning, and it is still a great Christmas song.