1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Official Review [Single]: 22. "ALL YOU GET FROM LOVE IS A LOVE SONG"/"I HAVE YOU" (1940-S)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jun 10, 2017.

Which side is your favorite?

1. Side A: "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song"

32 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. Side B: "I Have You"

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Of the two, had to go with side A. Should have charted much higher. Light and bouncy with a great summer-like feel (Yacht Rock?). Video perfectly fits the song (with a beautifully vivacious Karen). I can't really recall hearing the song on the radio back in 1977. Didn't come upon it until my "Carpenters conversion" much later. Seemed like all you heard back then was Dreams by "Fleetwood Mac" (continually) and then towards the later part of the year disco had firmly established itself with the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack. The album rock FM station I listened to back then would not play any Carpenters. James Taylor - yes, Carole King - yes, Paul Simon - yes. Not even Superstar, written by a pretty "cool" long-haired songwriter; not even Goodbye To Love with a pretty "cool" guitar solo by a long-haired rock guitarist. Ziltch! The LA area had a few MOR FM stations but their ratings were very low. Almost all of the albums I own resulted in me hearing a single on the radio that I really liked, then I usually bought the album. AYGFLIALS just didn't get enough exposure to the record buying masses. Disco killed the Top 40 radio star. Too bad MTV was not up-and-running then. Could you imagine that video selling that record?! Would they have put it in their rotation?, probably not, Carpenters "not cool"! Side B is probably very popular with the karaoke crowd but nothing really compelling about it although a nice vocal by Karen (as usual).

CraigGA likes this.
  2. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

The A-side murders the B-side. It's not even close. Richard KILLED this rhythm arrangement. I would actually love to hear this without the orchestration. Richard was famous for doing too much and he did too much here. This has a very nice groove and the orchestration bogs it down a bit. I love the backgrounds on it. It didn't call for your typical Carpenter vocal treatment so Richard gave it something different and it works brilliantly. Great tune and great Karen performance for sure!

Ed

Eyewire likes this.
  3. Eyewire

Eyewire Well-Known Member

Side A for me. I also love the backing vocals on this, I think they're absolutely perfect.

I know they used different singers for the background vocals, but is Karen's voice the predominant one we hear in the backing vocals throughout the song? Or are her backing vocals restricted to the saxophone solo?

The thirds that are done underneath the second half of the sax solo in 'All You Get From Love Is A Love Song' also feature her head voice. Link

4. Thankfully, even though Singapore is such a small country, we knew better and brought this song to #2 (a little later, we brought Sweet Sweet Smile to #1) :wink:

Brian, ullalume, Mark-T and 1 other person like this.
  5. Thanks Calvin, I've been collecting all the chart positions but haven't been able to find any for countries like Singapore. Do you know where I can get all of the chart positions for Singapore?

6. David A

David A Member

Ditto, basically, to most other posts here. Darn fine song, I'm not as surprised it didn't chart better, I remember that time well, and the C's were showing some wear in the market. Agreed with Rumbahbah regarding double-tracking Karen's voice leading to some "diffuse" lyrical presentation.

1977...Richard may have hated disco but the C's probably could have had several big disco hits had they been so inclined. It's funny how so many people consider - even to this day - non-disco artists who made a disco hit or two as "selling out". Heck, even the Rolling Stones did it :wink: I don't think it would have harmed their career to have done so; in fact it would probably have extended it, again, commercially speaking.

Not trying to change the subject, it just hit me watching this video that as good as Karen looks here, in less than 6 years she'll be gone.

7. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Carpenters' were perceived as square as square could be. They never could have succeeded taking a run at disco. Karen on her own might have had a sliver of a chance but Richard doing disco? I honestly don't think so.

Ed

8. David A

David A Member

I'm not so sure. And to be clear, I wasn't suggesting they try to "become a disco band" - rather that they record a few disco-oriented songs, as many other non-disco acts did at that time.

I think you are right though, that it would have been easier for Karen alone - especially if she partnered up with someone in a duet, as was so often done then (Donna Summer/Barbara Streisand, for example).

9. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Oh, I'm with you. It's just that Richard didn't do "trendy" well at all. The few times he's tried to be "on trend", it's been a disaster. He just wasn't hip enough to do it. They had a very nice A/C niche and Richard, for the most part, couldn't stretch beyond it. Even when he did do other things (some of "Passage"), he didn't stay with it long and it wasn't successful. Also, Richard was not into disco. Heck, he asked his sister not to cut any for her solo record - a request she obviously ignored with "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind".

Notice I haven't said a thing about "Want You Back In My Life Again" and "Say Yeah!"

Ed

David A likes this.
  10. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

That's a very sobering, sad observation. It's shocking how rapid her decline was from 1980 onwards.

David A likes this.
  11. David A

David A Member

Yeah, the more I think about it, I think you're right. Even had Richard opted to try a few disco-ish songs purely for commercial reasons, he'd have not pulled it off well. That's in no way a slam of Richard; maybe we are both underestimating him. I just agree with you that he'd probably not have been able to "get it right" given his overall strengths and weaknesses, and dislike of the genre anyway.

I do think, had Karen done a duet with a big star - Donna Summer, ONJ, even work with the guys from Chic - either a one-off or possibly on her solo album, for example - it could have gone over very well. Might have even compelled A&M to release it. But I'm starting to digress into the weeds here.

@newvillefan - yes, sobering and sad indeed. Exactly how I felt when I wrote that comment in my previous post.

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.