Singles That Never Were

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy

Almost all of the singles Karen and Richard released from 1970 to 1975 were big hits , so it's presumptuous of anyone to second-guess their choices of what to release from their albums. However, I'm sure we all had our own ideas of what would have become a big hit for the Carpenters. Four songs really had hit potential for me: All Of My Life (from Offering), Baby It's You (from Close To You), Let Me Be The One (from the tan album) and Can't Smile Without You (from A Kind Of Hush).

What are your choices for potential hits that never happened?

"Happy" and "Can't Smile Without You", especially since both were on an album called "Singles".

"Crystal Lullaby" could've been a big hit. Also "Daddy's Home", especially if Richard had recorded a studio version. "Two Sides" & "I Just a Fall In Love Again". "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night". "Say Yeah!" "Prime Time Love" & "The Rainbow Connection" (it was a hit in Japan, and it would've been interesting to have seen how it did here.

Also from the Christmas albums, "(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays".

"Crystal Lullaby" could've been a big hit. Also "Daddy's Home", especially if Richard had recorded a studio version. "Two Sides" & "I Just a Fall In Love Again". "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night". "Say Yeah!" "Prime Time Love" & "The Rainbow Connection" (it was a hit in Japan, and it would've been interesting to have seen how it did here.

"Say Yeah"..... interesting choice!

Mine isn't that unique, given the incredible gathering of Carpenterphiles on this board, but most definitely..... "Let Me Bet The One."

"Say Yeah"..... interesting choice!

Mine isn't that unique, given the incredible gathering of Carpenterphiles on this board, but most definitely..... "Let Me Bet The One."

I agree with "Let Me Be the One", would have been a great single. I think Richard says that somewhere on the official website.

"Desperado" and "Baby It's You". Both have superb arrangements and vocal work. How is it that Karen can sound so tough, but so perfectly gentle and smooth at the same time?

The five that have always stuck out for me -
"Let Me Be The One" has always seemed to me to be the top 10 hit that never was. One of their finest recordings. Certainly better than several of the singles that were released.
Also, from Horizon, I think "Desperado" and/or "Happy" would have gone down much better than "Solitaire" on the radio and the charts.
From AKOH if either "Can't Smile Without You" (pre-Manilow) or "You" had been the second single instead of the chorale-laden "I Need To Be in Love" (though I love that song) either would have prospered better than #25.

Richard had stated that he believed "Let Me Be The One" would have been a hit. I believe "All Of My Life" and "Don't Be Afraid" from Offering had great potential. "Maybe It's You" from Close To You. "This Masquerade" from Now & Then, although I've heard of many different reasons why this song wasn't considered (Length & Style). "Happy" from Horizon. "I Just Fall In Love Again" from Passage. "Two Lives" from Voice Of The Heart. And also many songs that saw posthumously release, such as "Where Do I Go From Here?", "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night" and "You're The One".

Let Me Be The One would have been a smash, especially if it had been given a second bridge.
Desperado - yes.
Happy - for sure. It was a B-side, but they should have made it a double A-side.
A House Is Not A Home - only ever performed once as part of a medley, but this song was "written" for Karen. A no-brainer, and, alas, one that got away.

"Happy" instead of "Solitaire" in 75.
"You" instead of "Goofus" in 76.
Either "You're the One" or "Where Do I Go From Here" in Jan. 89 after their airing in the "Karen Carpenter Story".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom